Nikola Mirotic, Bulls Working On Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nikola Mirotic, Bulls Working On Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:31 pm

Nikola Mirotic has secured a $3 million buyout with Real Madrid in order to come to the Chicago Bulls, reports HoopsHype.

Mirotic was the 23rd overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft and has since developed into one of Europe's best forwards.

Because he was drafted three years ago, Mirotic is not subject to the rookie salary-cap scale, and the Bulls likely will need to use some of their cap space to contribute to his buyout and sign him to a long-term contract.

The Bulls can pay up to $600,000 toward Mirotic's buyout, but anything over that amount would be considered a signing bonus and be charged to the Bulls' cap. 

The Bulls' decision to move forward with Mirotic at this point signals that they will be moving on without Carlos Boozer next season. Boozer can either be amnestied or traded.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Re: Nikola Mirotic, Bulls Working On Deal 

Post#2 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:39 pm

Bulls fans been waiting for this guy for awhile..

If they can get Melo, this guy, and a healthy DRose the United Center will be rocking again.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#3 » by RaptorRed » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:51 pm

Lol everyone hyping this guy up so much , apparently the Bulls have the next Dirk as a tradeable asset :lol:
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
StaticRoar
Pro Prospect
And1: 884

Post#4 » by StaticRoar » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:58 pm

Will the Bulls still have cap to sign Melo if they sign Mirotic or will they have to do a sign-and-trade?
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#5 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:02 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:Bulls fans been waiting for this guy for awhile..

If they can get Melo, this guy, and a healthy DRose the United Center will be rocking again.

Ifs and buts...I do hope all of that works out for Chicago, the East would become slightly more relevant again.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#6 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:04 pm

StaticRoar wrote:Will the Bulls still have cap to sign Melo if they sign Mirotic or will they have to do a sign-and-trade?

Well it depends how much Melo wants. The Bulls don't have enough to offer the max as is, so if he wants the max a sign and trade would have to happen.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#7 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:05 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:Bulls fans been waiting for this guy for awhile..

Ifs and buts...I do hope all of that works out for Chicago, the East would become slightly more relevant again.

Yeah that's why I said "IF"...
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,814

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:10 pm

RaptorRed wrote:Lol everyone hyping this guy up so much , apparently the Bulls have the next Dirk as a tradeable asset

I'm not a Bulls guy, but Mirotic is a really good player and could make a helluva impact in the NBA. Why not check him out and form your own opinion instead of dismissing every word about him as hype? (Also he's not like Dirk other than the fact that he shoots 3s well and was born in Europe).
mswenson
Banned User
And1: 147

Post#9 » by mswenson » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:37 pm

every play that's linked to the bulls is hyped. the team is so corny. The morons probably still call themselves the baby bulls.
Michael Scott
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,109

Post#10 » by Michael Scott » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:46 pm

mswenson wrote:every play that's linked to the bulls is hyped. the team is so corny. The morons probably still call themselves the baby bulls.

I know, its crazy. If I hear one more person hyping up Nazr Mohammad, Tony Snell, Boozer, or Kirk Hinrich, I'm going to lose it. Thank god they traded Marquis Teague, cause he was generating some real buzz too.

And I also agree with the corny statement. It is so corny to play hard every night. What losers. Why won't they just stop working hard and all become horrible contract players that don't really care about basketball? Its so logical!

Dumbest post I've read in a while. Congratulations.
Derrick Rose will do 1 of 2 things in the 2014-2015 NBA Season: 1) Return to MVP form and prove you wrong, or 2) Fail to return to MVP form and prove me wrong. Either way, one of us will end up looking like an ***hole.
moe2014
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#11 » by moe2014 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:36 pm

expecting mirotic to be the next dirk is as optimistic as expecting embiid to be the next olajuwon. dirk was dropping 50 points on scottie pippen in international play as a teenager. mirotic ain't dirk.

i'd expect mirotic to be more in the same vein as a kukoc, or bargnani when bargnani was still good. should be a solid contributor off the bench.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#12 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:43 pm

moe2014 wrote:expecting mirotic to be the next dirk is as optimistic as expecting embiid to be the next olajuwon. dirk was dropping 50 points on scottie pippen in international play as a teenager. mirotic ain't dirk.

i'd expect mirotic to be more in the same vein as a kukoc, or bargnani when bargnani was still good. should be a solid contributor off the bench.

He reminds me of Ryan Anderson...
moe2014
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#13 » by moe2014 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:00 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:
moe2014 wrote:expecting mirotic to be the next dirk is as optimistic as expecting embiid to be the next olajuwon. dirk was dropping 50 points on scottie pippen in international play as a teenager. mirotic ain't dirk.

perfect comparison, i didn't think of that.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#14 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:58 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:

Because he is white, tall and can shoot? His game is way more versatile than Ryan Anderson.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#15 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jul 4, 2014 10:56 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:

Because he is white, tall and can shoot? His game is way more versatile than Ryan Anderson.

Well I disagree. If you haven't seen Anderson play over the years he has improved his game. He isn't just a guy who stands around the perimeter anymore. He was when he entered the NBA, but he is a lot more versatile than you think. Yes most of shots will come from the perimeter, but I think the same will happen with Mirotic. Yes overseas he can do a lot more, but in the NBA I see him playing the perimeter more. And occasionally take people off the dribble, and occasionally work in the post. Anderson does all those things also, occasionally. Anderson can ball bro.. Dude worked hard on his game, and if it wasn't for a crazy neck injury might have made the all-star team. Well no he wouldn't of in the tough West, but he deserved consideration.
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#16 » by watpho71 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:02 pm

I think the Bulls have moved on from plan Melo. On to the next plan, which begins with bringing over Mirotic and finalizing a deal with Real Madrid. I have a feeling they will drag out the Boozer amnesty and try and wait for a trade partner.

Anxious to see how Mirotic's game translates in the NBA. Should be able to contribute immediately as a stretch 4 for the Bulls coming off the bench. McDermott and Mirotic should be able to help each other in many different facets.
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#17 » by watpho71 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:21 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:

Ryan Anderson comparison does not seem far off, after all it's just a comparison. How about a combination of Ryan Anderson and Marc Gasol combined? Anderson has amazing range and more than 50% of his shot attempts are threes, which probably will not be the case for Mirotic ever in his NBA career. In this regard, Mirotic's game is more complete at going to the basket, drawing double teams and creating for his teammates. Anderson is a real free shooter, where Mirotic has better shot selection and decision making.
Regardless, Anderson is a baller and loves to shoot! And he has already established himself in the NBA at age 26, unlike Mirotic who has a lot to prove at age 23.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:45 pm

StaticRoar wrote:Will the Bulls still have cap to sign Melo if they sign Mirotic or will they have to do a sign-and-trade?

Not if they plan on keeping Taj Gibson (who Anthony apparently said the Bulls must keep). As it is the Bulls wont be able to offer Anthony anything close to the max. With Mirotic signed, itll be even harder. This is likely a sign that the Bulls dont believe Anthony is a realistic option anymore, OR Mirotic could be in a sign and trade package for Anthony. It would behoove the Knicks to want to make sure Mirotic is coming before agreeing to any sign and trade.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#19 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:49 am

This dude looks like he is going to be a good SF or Stretch 4 if He can keep up with the NBA players as the tools are all there, If the bulls do bring him over and they can't get Melo I'm not even sure they should trade Boozer as they will only be a few million over the cap after they sign him and Mcdermott. Unless they maybe trade him to us with a future 1st and 2nd for Thad young and that way they won't be over the cap and have a Top 3 team in the East
Rose/Augustine(resigned)
Butler/Snell
Mcdermott/Dunleavy/Randolph
Gibson/Mirotic/Thad
Noah/Smith
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#20 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:48 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:This dude looks like he is going to be a good SF or Stretch 4

Mirotic is a PF all the way. He is 6'10' 235 right now and they want him to add muscle/size to help his post game. I see him as Taj's replacement in 2-3 years.

Return to Wiretap Discussion