Heat Won't Operate With Cap Space, Must Stay Below $81M

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Heat Won't Operate With Cap Space, Must Stay Below $81M 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 8, 2014 3:07 am

By reaching agreements with Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger with the non-taxpayer midlevel exception and biannual exception, the Miami Heat will not be operating as a team with cap space.

With LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem opting out, they conceivably could have created enough cap space to sign a bigger contract player if they would have renounced the Bird rights to those players and then re-signed them with cap space.

By going over the cap, the Heat will also cut ties with their room midlevel exception.

By using these two exceptions, the Heat, by league rule, have to stay underneath the apron, an effective hard cap set $4 million above the luxury tax line, which is set at $77 million. Under no circumstances can the Heat's payroll go above $81 million this season.

Via Tom Haberstroh/ESPN

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Heat Won't Operate With Cap Space, Must Stay Below $81M 

Post#2 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:01 am

We'll assuming the big 3 are back and getting paid and this is all they had to put around them which apparently it is then I would have like Hawes for 3 years or Kaman for 2 years at similar money as a better fit since Hawes can play both post positions more so than Roberts and I really think Kaman would have been a better fit with Bosh. I really don't like the 4 years for a light rebounding PF. McRoberts and Bosh wouldn't be able to buy a rebound. Really the only thing McRoberts does is pass and you already have one point forward.

As far as Granger. Does he really provide anything Beasley couldn't give you in a younger player with upside. They really need a guy like Elton Brand and Ray Allen to take the vet minimum at this point.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#3 » by D21 » Tue Jul 8, 2014 10:53 am

At this moment, MIA have agree to deal worth the Mid-level and Bi-annual exceptions, but it doesn't mean it has to be done with these exceptions, it can still be done with cap room, if they have enough cap room to do it.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#4 » by Chris3323 » Tue Jul 8, 2014 3:09 pm

Sign Rasheed Wallace!
tayottt
Junior
And1: 275

Post#5 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 3:30 pm

12footrim wrote:We'll assuming the big 3 are back and getting paid and this is all they had to put around them which apparently it is then I would have like Hawes for 3 years or Kaman for 2 years at similar money as a better fit since Hawes can play both post positions more so than Roberts and I really think Kaman would have been a better fit with Bosh. I really don't like the 4 years for a light rebounding PF. McRoberts and Bosh wouldn't be able to buy a rebound. Really the only thing McRoberts does is pass and you already have one point forward.

As far as Granger. Does he really provide anything Beasley couldn't give you in a younger player with upside. They really need a guy like Elton Brand and Ray Allen to take the vet minimum at this point.

Kaman is mediocre and has been mediocre for most of his career. Career WS/40 of .056 and a -7 differential in O and D rtg. The Heat have no use for a 32yo Kaman at 5Mil per. He hasn't even played well in a hedge/show PnR defense at any point in his career.

Hawes can space the floor and is a legitimate 7 feet but he has never shown consistent commitment to the defensive end and his offense has come and gone. I like the ability to hit threes but I'd take Mcroberts better defense and overall basketball IQ.

Granger is another example of the Heat taking a bet. They bet on Greg Oden getting back into shape and bet on Beasley getting his act together. Granger actually has a higher upside than both of those bets because at his best he was an all star caliber player. I don't think he is that caliber of player anymore after injury, but at 30 years old it's conceivable he can slot into that Battier role and be a "D and 3" wing for the Heat.

Elton Brand has great experience and is a smart player. Getting him at the minimum would be a nice add for the Heat bench, though he doesn't move the needle much either.

Heat not making splashy signings. They are just signing guys they feel can come into their program and have an impact. They also are paying just about the market value for Granger and McRoberts. The names don't blow you away but they make perfect basketball sense.

You raise a good point about getting more rebounding on the Heat but I'm not sure how much of the lack of rebounding has to do with system and how much has to do with personnel. We've seen both Lebron and Bosh record a high amount of rebounds per minute relative to their position at different points in their careers. Before Bosh came to MIA he was a 20/10 guy. The Heat's 5- out offensive system limits their ability to get O-boards and their defensive system puts Bosh on the perimeter trapping and showing against ball handlers in the PnR. If Bosh dropped back and they played ICE most likely he would record more rebounds and the Heat in general would rebound more. They just gamble on their ability to trap causing turnovers for easy transition points. They have more recently dialed it back a bit but not much. The ironic thing is that the Heat actually played a very slow pace last season and didn't do too much running. It would make more sense for them to dial it all the way back and play traditional PnR defense. Their half court offense is so elite they don't NEED to generate that ball pressure on defense anyway.

Perhaps Jordan Hill or Ed Davis might be bargain-bin guys the Heat could get to shore up the need for a rebounding back-up big/energy guy.
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#6 » by Gannet » Tue Jul 8, 2014 3:36 pm

tayottt wrote:I don't think he is that caliber of player anymore after injury, but at 30 years old it's conceivable he can slot into that Battier role and be a "D and 3" wing for the Heat.

You don't think he is that caliber of player anymore? Ya think? He's only a year older than Bosh/Lebron and actually younger than Wade, but he just took the "biannual exception." Both sides know he's pretty much done health wise -- he's played 46 games the last 2 seasons. Btw, how does someone play effective D with a history of knee injuries? He's a non-upgrade over Beasley.

Back on the subject of this article, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the Heat is completely boned cap wise. I just don't see the vast majority of NBA players sacrificing large percentages of salary.
tayottt
Junior

Post#7 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 3:57 pm

Gannet wrote:
tayottt wrote:I don't think he is that caliber of player anymore after injury, but at 30 years old it's conceivable he can slot into that Battier role and be a "D and 3" wing for the Heat.

You don't think he is that caliber of player anymore? Ya think? He's only a year older than Bosh/Lebron and actually younger than Wade, but he just took the "biannual exception." Both sides know he's pretty much done health wise -- he's played 46 games the last 2 seasons. Btw, how does someone play effective D with a history of knee injuries? He's a non-upgrade over Beasley.

Danny Granger +3 net Ort/Drtg with 106 on D. Michael Beasley -9 netRtg with 108 D for his career. Last season Granger recorded a +1.30 Defensive RPM while Beasley recorded -2.88.

Over the larger sample Granger is better at defense by the eye test and analytics....over the recent sample Granger is better at defense. Am I missing something? Is it inconceivable that after knee injuries a guy can come back an be a serviceable player in the NBA? It's perfectly plausible. It's just another Pat Riley low stakes gamble.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 8, 2014 4:06 pm

tayottt wrote:Kaman is mediocre and has been mediocre for most of his career. Career WS/40 of .056 and a -7 differential in O and D rtg. The Heat have no use for a 32yo Kaman at 5Mil per. He hasn't even played well in a hedge/show PnR defense at any point in his career.

You think playing on the Clippers had anything to do with win shares or O and D team ratings? You going to tell me McRoberts isn't any more mediocre? I'd much rather have Kaman at 2 years and less money than 4 years of McRoberts.

McRoberts averaged 8ppg and 5rpg in 30 minutes. He and Bosh together, would have to be one of the worst rebounding post tandems in the league if not league history. At least Kaman is still productive and a legit center that could push Bosh to his natural streach 4. Kaman averaged 10ppg and 6 rpg and 1bpg on 51% shooting in only 19 minutes.

Hawes can space the floor and is a legitimate 7 feet but he has never shown consistent commitment to the defensive end and his offense has come and gone. I like the ability to hit threes but I'd take Mcroberts better defense and overall basketball IQ.

McRoberts is a skinny point forward who's only real skill is passing. He can't really help you at center and with a point foward like Lebron what's this really help.

Granger is another example of the Heat taking a bet. They bet on Greg Oden getting back into shape and bet on Beasley getting his act together. Granger actually has a higher upside than both of those bets because at his best he was an all star caliber player. I don't think he is that caliber of player anymore after injury, but at 30 years old it's conceivable he can slot into that Battier role and be a "D and 3" wing for the Heat.

Kaman was an all star as well. He's also actually still plays a lot closer to that level than Granger does when he gets minutes and would fit something the heat have little of. Skilled bigs who can provide post offense and actually rebound.

Elton Brand has great experience and is a smart player. Getting him at the minimum would be a nice add for the Heat bench, though he doesn't move the needle much either.

Id rather have Brand for 2 million than McRoberts for 6. Seriously. Brand has a standing reach of a 7-1 guy and actually plays like a real post player.

Perhaps Jordan Hill or Ed Davis might be bargain-bin guys the Heat could get to shore up the need for a rebounding back-up big/energy guy.

These are guys looking for their first big contracts. You aren't getting them on value. If you want a young guy on a value contract you have to get a knuckle head like Beasley people are done messing with or on knees like Oden.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Gannet
Junior

Post#9 » by Gannet » Tue Jul 8, 2014 4:09 pm

tayottt wrote:Danny Granger +3 net Ort/Drtg with 106 on D. Michael Beasley -9 netRtg with 108 D for his career. Last season Granger recorded a +1.30 Defensive RPM while Beasley recorded -2.88.

Over the larger sample Granger is better at defense by the eye test and analytics....over the recent sample Granger is better at defense. Am I missing something? Is it inconceivable that after knee injuries a guy can come back an be a serviceable player in the NBA? It's perfectly plausible. It's just another Pat Riley low stakes gamble.

Once again, NBA players taking sub-market contracts is like a fat kid refusing candy. There is always a good reason a contract is what it is, unless the player is being overpaid. Did the Oden and Beasley "gamble" pay off? I wouldn't swear on analytics, especially any RPM stats, since they're isolated numbers that don't take into account surrounding inputs, i.e. who was also on court at the same time. Mike Dunleavy has a 1.92 rpm for christ's sake.
tayottt
Junior

Post#10 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 4:33 pm

Gannet wrote:
tayottt wrote:Danny Granger +3 net Ort/Drtg with 106 on D. Michael Beasley -9 netRtg with 108 D for his career. Last season Granger recorded a +1.30 Defensive RPM while Beasley recorded -2.88.

Once again, NBA players taking sub-market contracts is like a fat kid refusing candy. There is always a good reason a contract is what it is, unless the player is being overpaid. Did the Oden and Beasley "gamble" pay off? I wouldn't swear on analytics, especially any RPM stats, since they're isolated numbers that don't take into account surrounding inputs, i.e. who was also on court at the same time. Mike Dunleavy has a 1.92 rpm for christ's sake.

It's a low stakes gamble. The Heat don't have much to lose with Granger's contract. As for the analytics they at the very least give me NUMBERS to back up my claims...something you are short on. I don't fully rely on the analytics but the advanced numbers are concrete and looking at the sum total of all the numbers usually paints a portrait that gels with the eye test and gives more information than lazy "conventional wisdom." You point to Mike Dunleavy as an example of advanced stats being dubious, but do you really think that finding an exception proves your point or makes your point more credible? Dunleavy has been a mediocre defender and is on the 2nd best defensive team playing with the starting unit. Granger has been a good defensive player during his career and was playing as a back-up on the 9th ranked defense. Don't make a false equivalency between Dunleavy and Granger. Granger has been better at defense and IS better at defense than Beasley.

As for your comments on Oden and Beasley. Re-examine their contracts. Both are being paid the minimum. They were projects for the Heat. The Heat didn't even NEED them to work out. They were just guys with a significant amount of upside that the Heat took a gamble on. Could they have allotted those resources elsewhere? Perhaps, but it's no harm no foul if both guys fail. Oden and Beasley got a year of seasoning and will likely sign up to play another year at the minimum. These are the type of risks contenders are supposed to take to try and stack the deck in their favor.

Granger is also low stakes but he is a bit more of a risk as the Heat could have gotten another vet without the injury history using that exception. However, I can understand the move because of the variety of skills Granger has flashed during his career.
Gannet
Junior

Post#11 » by Gannet » Tue Jul 8, 2014 4:52 pm

tayottt wrote:As for the analytics they at the very least give me NUMBERS to back up my claims...something you are short on.

The only claim you have backed up is Granger has better defense analytics than Beasley, which is a strawman you decided to leverage to prove an nonexistent point, because I never made that direct comparison. I suppose you could have made that leap in logic when I was addressing your point on Battier's previous role, but the fact of the matter is, if Granger could have gotten a bigger contract somewhere else, he would have taken it in a heart beat.

Do you know why a "low-stakes" gamble is considered low stakes? Because the upside is capped too. Granger didn't do much of anything for the Clippers in the playoffs, and you don't need any analytics based in grade school arithmetic to tell you that. Also, stop using Granger's "career" numbers. Your best sample size for Granger's current abilities is the last 2 seasons, and then maybe discount that even further.
tayottt
Junior

Post#12 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:06 pm

Gannet wrote:
tayottt wrote:As for the analytics they at the very least give me NUMBERS to back up my claims...something you are short on.

The only claim you have backed up is Granger has better defense analytics than Beasley, which is a strawman you decided to leverage to prove an nonexistent point, because I never made that direct comparison. I suppose you could have made that leap in logic when I was addressing your point on Battier's previous role, but the fact of the matter is, if Granger could have gotten a bigger contract somewhere else, he would have taken it in a heart beat.

Do you know why a "low-stakes" gamble is considered low stakes? Because the upside is capped too. Granger didn't do much of anything for the Clippers in the playoffs, and you don't need any analytics based in grade school arithmetic to tell you that. Also, stop using Granger's "career" numbers. Your best sample size for Granger's current abilities is the last 2 seasons, and then maybe discount that even further.

It's difficult to argue against someone who has made no point at all. All you did was quote me in a snide manner and cast unfounded doubt upon the Granger signing. You presented neither facts nor information while claiming that the Heat (or Pacers? your wording isn't clear) believe that Granger is done. Doesn't it go both ways? If a player only plays for what he can leverage, then doesn't a franchise pay as little as they can for as much production as they can get?

How do you know Granger didn't have a better offer elsewhere? You don't know because nothing you are saying is rooted in fact. It is all conjecture, and poorly thought out conjecture at that.
Gannet
Junior

Post#13 » by Gannet » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:21 pm

tayottt wrote:How do you know Granger didn't have a better offer elsewhere? You don't know because nothing you are saying is rooted in fact. It is all conjecture, and poorly thought out conjecture at that.

The "only" thing you were able to do is "read" some advanced stats numbers, mostly "career-long," off of a website of a player on the wrong side of 30 with a medical bill of health that is even worse than age would suggest. Congratulations to you on your penetrating insight. I don't know if Granger has had other higher offers, but in an industry where agents fan rumors like high school girls to prop up their clients, Granger's market has been crickets. You can't drive up the value of a player when the first thing teams ask for is medical reports.

And like it's already been made obvious by this website, Granger's signing has zero impact on Lebron's decision, nor should it.
tayottt
Junior

Post#14 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:34 pm

12footrim wrote:You think playing on the Clippers had anything to do with win shares or O and D team ratings? You going to tell me McRoberts isn't any more mediocre? I'd much rather have Kaman at 2 years and less money than 4 years of McRoberts.

McRoberts averaged 8ppg and 5rpg in 30 minutes. He and Bosh together, would have to be one of the worst rebounding post tandems in the league if not league history. At least Kaman is still productive and a legit center that could push Bosh to his natural streach 4. Kaman averaged 10ppg and 6 rpg and 1bpg on 51% shooting in only 19 minutes.

McRoberts is a skinny point forward who's only real skill is passing. He can't really help you at center and with a point foward like Lebron what's this really help.

Kaman was an all star as well. He's also actually still plays a lot closer to that level than Granger does when he gets minutes and would fit something the heat have little of. Skilled bigs who can provide post offense and actually rebound.

Id rather have Brand for 2 million than McRoberts for 6. Seriously. Brand has a standing reach of a 7-1 guy and actually plays like a real post player.

These are guys looking for their first big contracts. You aren't getting them on value. If you want a young guy on a value contract you have to get a knuckle head like Beasley people are done messing with or on knees like Oden.

1. The only thing you can actually prove that Kaman does better than Mcroberts is rebound. Mcbob has the higher TS%, passing, and defensive numbers. You laud Kaman's ability to create for himself in the post but 64% of his shots are assisted. 70% of Mcbob's shot's are assisted. That's only a 6% difference, not significant enough for me to have much confidence. Despite your beloved Kaman's post-up ability he still only shoots about 59% at the rim compared to McRoberts 66%. All of this in addition to the fact that McRoberts actually fits what the Miami Heat do on both ends, is younger, and has the higher basketball IQ.

2. I never said McRoberts can help the Heat at the Center position. I said there are other options for Rim Protection/Rebounding. Ed Davis and Jordan Hill may very well get larger contracts but it doesn't change the fact that there will always be bigs that can provide some rim protection and rebounding available at the minimum. It could be Stiemmsma, O'neal, Aldrich, or someone else.

3. Elton Brand is a solid player and 2 million is solid value for him. The problem is that he is 35 and can't be expected to have the same night-to-night availability that McRoberts will have.

4. You place too much value on post-up play in the modern NBA. The Heat won two straight championships without a traditional post-up big and before that the Mavs won without one. This season the Spurs won with Duncan, but he wasn't doing a lot of posting up. He picked his spots. Either way, the Heat already have three of the best post players in the league in Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. I agree with your concern that the Heat need a Center but the names you provide don't move the needle much for me. I strongly believe that there is going to be a Rebounder/Rim-protector available at around the minimum for the Heat.
tayottt
Junior

Post#15 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:41 pm

Gannet wrote:
tayottt wrote:How do you know Granger didn't have a better offer elsewhere? You don't know because nothing you are saying is rooted in fact. It is all conjecture, and poorly thought out conjecture at that.

The "only" thing you were able to do is "read" some advanced stats numbers, mostly "career-long," off of a website of a player on the wrong side of 30 with a medical bill of health that is even worse than age would suggest. Congratulations to you on your penetrating insight. I don't know if Granger has had other higher offers, but in an industry where agents fan rumors like high school girls to prop up their clients, Granger's market has been crickets. You can't drive up the value of a player when the first thing teams ask for is medical reports.

And like it's already been made obvious by this website, Granger's signing has zero impact on Lebron's decision, nor should it.

More conjecture from the man who is making zero points. I never said Granger's signing has any impact on Lebron's decision so I guess you've created a straw man of your own.

All I've said and all I've maintained is that the Granger signing is a solid move. It's not sexy, but it makes sense.
Conversely, all you've done is make snide remarks and attempt to be condescending while spouting your unfounded opinions. Unless you are a doctor, coach, or sensible fan with information on Granger's current state you can keep those comments to yourself.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:36 pm

tayottt wrote:
1. The only thing you can actually prove that Kaman does better than Mcroberts is rebound.

You think this is a minor thing when sinking near max money into a horrible rebounder already like Bosh playing out of position to put a terrible rebounder beside him? with your 4th banana money?

Mcbob has the higher TS%,

:lol: by less than a single percetnage, all while averaging a whole 8ppg in 30 friggen minutes. The only time the guy is even taking shots is when defenders dared him to. His usage rate was half what Kamen's was which tells me Kamen is highly efficient all while being a far bigger part of the offense when he was in the game.

passing, and defensive numbers.

Defensive numbers? Maybe in a good CLT defense. Who are you passing too. Miami needs rebounds and scoring help more than someone else passing especially playing PF. Lebron wants help not someone passing him the ball back.

You laud Kaman's ability to create for himself in the post but 64% of his shots are assisted. 70% of Mcbob's shot's are assisted. That's only a 6% difference, not significant enough for me to have much confidence. Despite your beloved Kaman's post-up ability he still only shoots about 59% at the rim compared to McRoberts 66%. All of this in addition to the fact that McRoberts actually fits what the Miami Heat do on both ends, is younger, and has the higher basketball IQ.

...on ussage that's half of Kamans only takeing open shots when dared to not with significant offense ran through him.

2. I never said McRoberts can help the Heat at the Center position. I said there are other options for Rim Protection/Rebounding. Ed Davis and Jordan Hill may very well get larger contracts but it doesn't change the fact that there will always be bigs that can provide some rim protection and rebounding available at the minimum. It could be Stiemmsma, O'neal, Aldrich, or someone else.

McRoberts is a horrible fit with Bosh.

3. Elton Brand is a solid player and 2 million is solid value for him. The problem is that he is 35 and can't be expected to have the same night-to-night availability that McRoberts will have.

I'd roll the dice on that at 1 year 2 million before 4 years at 23 on McRoberts.

4. You place too much value on post-up play in the modern NBA.

Because of who else they have playing out of position already at Center.

The Heat won two straight championships without a traditional post-up big and before that the Mavs won without one.

So what, with Lebron or younger Wade, you will always have a chance. Lebron wants help clearly now that Wade on the decline. That's what I thought we were talking about not a guy that only is going to be able to pass the ball back to Lebron.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#17 » by bran muffin » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:48 pm

This article is misleading. The McRoberts signing does NOT guarantee that the Heat must operate without cap space. It only guarantees that if the Big Three re-sign, then the Heat must operate without cap space.

However, if LeBron leaves the team, then the Heat will operate with cap space. McRoberts will then receive MLE money without actually using the MLE slot.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#18 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:53 pm

I thought you don't get an MLE if you're under the cap? That was the case with the Lakers anyway.

Heat have only Norris Cole under contract before signing McRoberts. Not sure how this part of the CBA works.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#19 » by Rashidi » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:06 pm

bran muffin wrote:This article is misleading. The McRoberts signing does NOT guarantee that the Heat must operate without cap space. It only guarantees that if the Big Three re-sign, then the Heat must operate without cap space.

However, if LeBron leaves the team, then the Heat will operate with cap space. McRoberts will then receive MLE money without actually using the MLE slot.

Except it does, until any of those players' rights are renounced or they sign elsewhere.
tayottt
Junior

Post#20 » by tayottt » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:10 pm

12footrim wrote:You think this is a minor thing when sinking near max money into a horrible rebounder already like Bosh playing out of position to put a terrible rebounder beside him? with your 4th banana money?

:lol: by less than a single percetnage, all while averaging a whole 8ppg in 30 friggen minutes. The only time the guy is even taking shots is when defenders dared him to. His usage rate was half what Kamen's was which tells me Kamen is highly efficient all while being a far bigger part of the offense when he was in the game.

Defensive numbers? Maybe in a good CLT defense. Who are you passing too. Miami needs rebounds and scoring help more than someone else passing especially playing PF. Lebron wants help not someone passing him the ball back.

...on ussage that's half of Kamans only takeing open shots when dared to not with significant offense ran through him.

McRoberts is a horrible fit with Bosh.

So what, with Lebron or younger Wade, you will always have a chance. Lebron wants help clearly now that Wade on the decline. That's what I thought we were talking about not a guy that only is going to be able to pass the ball back to Lebron.

Beyond a bevvy of spelling mistakes on your part and the incorrect assertion that Mcbob is only 1% higher than Kaman in TS (it is actually a 3% difference/55% to 52%) you fail to add anything to your point that Kaman is better. Kaman is not "highly efficient", his TS% indicates he is actually below average efficiency for a center while soaking up shots/usage that could go elsewhere. Conversely, the Heat actually like having low usage players like McRoberts on the team. Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen, Birdman, and Shane Battier are examples of the type of low usage role players that Miami have been able to use effectively.

If you actually watched McRoberts throughout the season you would know that he possesses more skills than merely passing and is a good fit within Miami's defense (Zach Lowe wrote a piece on Grantland (http://grantland.com/features/nba-miami ... ee-agency/) that analyzes the Mcbob addition and he even goes out of his way to slam Chris Kaman as an "out of shape" player that "shot the ball damn near every time he touched it last season"). In addition Zach Lowe agrees with me that McRoberts is a sensible fit within Miami's scheme. Lowe isn't as high on the amount paid but presents a rational minded analysis of the move.

Bosh played Center for most of last season with either Battier or Lewis at the PF position. I don't think it's a stretch to think that McBob in his prime can provide more value at that position than Battier or Lewis did last season.

Return to Wiretap Discussion