P.J. Tucker Signs Three-Year, $16.5M Deal With Suns

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

P.J. Tucker Signs Three-Year, $16.5M Deal With Suns 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 pm

The Phoenix Suns and P.J. Tucker have agreed upon a three-year deal worth $16.5 million in fully guaranteed money, league sources tell RealGM.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Re: P.J. Tucker Signs Three-Year, $16.5M Deal With Suns 

Post#2 » by LukasBMW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:55 pm

Glad this guy is coming back to the Suns! Hardwork, hustle, and leadership.
booDavidStern
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by booDavidStern » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Just as long as Bled hasn't accepted the offer sheet....I really want LAL to swoop him up.

Bled is worth $14M/year at minimum, and if we're going to wiff on Melo let's the gaping hole we have at point.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#4 » by LiSTWithLani » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:11 am

Good signing Phoenix, I wanted him back on the Raps!
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#5 » by Fresh360Waves » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:31 am

booDavidStern wrote:Just as long as Bled hasn't accepted the offer sheet....I really want LAL to swoop him up.

Bled is worth $14M/year at minimum, and if we're going to wiff on Melo let's the gaping hole we have at point.

His knee surgeries scare me, but I think it is worth the gamble considering there's not many starting PG options available now or in the future.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,051

Post#6 » by Raptor_Guy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:05 am

Wow good for him.
ryguy3711
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#7 » by ryguy3711 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:06 am

I love Ryan McDonough. This is a great contract. PJ Tucker is the glue-guy for the suns. He is the ultimate hardworking, hustle teammate that can shoot. He deserves every bit of the 5.5 million a year. With all the crazy free agent contracts this summer I was worried the Suns would overpay for Tucker, but McD did it again and got a great value for the right guy.

As to Bledsoe, I don’t think he is a max player. Honestly, I think he has a lot of potential and could be great. But look at his resume to date: backup in college, backup in LA, then a starter for half a season with a non-playoff team. Not to mention two significant knee surgeries in the last 2 years. I’ll give him credit where credit where credit is due. He played great for the half season with the suns. But my thinking in the NBA is players have to earn big contracts, not just solely on potential. If he has another solid, injury free season with the suns next year, sure, pay him 10-12 mil a year. Don’t pay Bledsoe the max just because we hope he will be injury free and really good for 5 years. It is no wonder to me that no other team has offered him a RFA max contract. If he gets the max offer, I say let him go. He is not a great NBA player yet, he might be, but for me, that is not good enough to give a guy a 5 year 70 million dollar contract. Not that I am comparing the two players, but Jeremy Lin had a great half of a season in NY and then got crazy overpaid. Again, they are different players and I understand the differences in potential, but the analogy is accurate. We need to see more from a guy before you throw that much money at him or you risk way overpaying him.
kanetrain33
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#8 » by kanetrain33 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:47 am

ryguy3711 wrote:I love Ryan McDonough. This is a great contract. PJ Tucker is the glue-guy for the suns. He is the ultimate hardworking, hustle teammate that can shoot. He deserves every bit of the 5.5 million a year. With all the crazy free agent contracts this summer I was worried the Suns would overpay for Tucker, but McD did it again and got a great value for the right guy.

As to Bledsoe, I don’t think he is a max player. Honestly, I think he has a lot of potential and could be great. But look at his resume to date: backup in college, backup in LA, then a starter for half a season with a non-playoff team. Not to mention two significant knee surgeries in the last 2 years. I’ll give him credit where credit where credit is due. He played great for the half season with the suns. But my thinking in the NBA is players have to earn big contracts, not just solely on potential. If he has another solid, injury free season with the suns next year, sure, pay him 10-12 mil a year. Don’t pay Bledsoe the max just because we hope he will be injury free and really good for 5 years. It is no wonder to me that no other team has offered him a RFA max contract. If he gets the max offer, I say let him go. He is not a great NBA player yet, he might be, but for me, that is not good enough to give a guy a 5 year 70 million dollar contract. Not that I am comparing the two players, but Jeremy Lin had a great half of a season in NY and then got crazy overpaid. Again, they are different players and I understand the differences in potential, but the analogy is accurate. We need to see more from a guy before you throw that much money at him or you risk way overpaying him.

Wow. You make some great points here. I had been in the "keep Bled at all costs" camp.... but you seriously made me reconsider. He could be great, but could also be another Lin. Proceed with caution.
Lakrfanb14
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Lakrfanb14 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:09 am

ryguy3711 wrote:I love Ryan McDonough. This is a great contract. PJ Tucker is the glue-guy for the suns. He is the ultimate hardworking, hustle teammate that can shoot. He deserves every bit of the 5.5 million a year. With all the crazy free agent contracts this summer I was worried the Suns would overpay for Tucker, but McD did it again and got a great value for the right guy.

You bring up some very valid points as it relates to Eric Bledsoe. Perhaps you are right, he may not be a max player. However, if that is being said - would you consider players such as Chandler Parsons and Gordon Hayward as "max players?" Gordon Hayward performed "ok" on a team that finished near the bottom of the Western Conference. Chandler Parsons was the third option behind James Harden and Dwight Howard in Houston. Are both players all-star or franchise players? No. Which of these two players would even be 5th best in the Western Conference among his peers in a the same position? Neither. Each would fall in the middle of the pack. Neither of these guys play defense to any measurable degree. Bledsoe was a very skilled defensive player, yet Hayward and Parsons received $15-$16 million/year over 4 years. Are they shut-down defenders? They are good players, but they are not pieces that you build around. Eric Bledsoe's knee injuries concern me as well. However, you were incorrect about two things relating to his career. Bledsoe was NOT a backup in college - he played in the back-court as a shooting guard with John Wall at Kentucky. When Bledsoe was drafted by the Clippers, he played backup to the best point guard in the league - Chris Paul. I'm sorry, but you're not going to find any guard in the league usurping Chris Paul as the starting point guard at this point in his career. Before Bledsoe got hurt last year, the Phoenix Suns were in the top 5 in the Western Conference. After his injury, we started to see the team steadily decline due to his absence. That alone shows that he is a pivotal piece to the puzzle. I agree - I would perhaps like to see him play a full year and then give him a max contract. But at the same time, if you're going to give Gordon Hayward $15 mil/year (thats $5 more per year then what Steph Curry was offered) and he's not even an all-star caliber player, then I feel it is insult to not provide Bledsoe a max contract. He's only 24 and I believe Phoenix is the best place for him to be especially since they have such a great training staff and facility. Plus, can you tell me what elite point guards over the last couple years have not had significant injuries? Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Deron Williams, and Tony Parker (all considered elite point guards) have missed considerable time over the last couple years due to injuries. The position is demanding and since point guards are the smallest players on the court, they are more prone to getting injured in comparison to those at other positions. Fortunately, the Suns have insurance with Dragic and Enis. However, Bledsoe is a pivotal asset to them moving forward successfully. I say pay him his market value!!
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#10 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Good for Tucker - watched him play the Raps last season and definitely a gritty, hard-working type of player. He finds a way and never gives up, those "intangibles" are always hard to put to contract since all we ever look at is shooting %, pts avg, etc. This is a great glue guy to have on any team, and if they Suns play like they did last year - watch out West!
zeebo
Junior
And1: 27

Post#11 » by zeebo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Not bad for a guy that was 2nd round pick and couldn't make the league for a number of years. Dude didn't give up and worked hard, earned it!
DJ3thenew23 says:

"I love Lebron and will follow him anywhere. Don't hate me cause I bandwagon Lebron anywhere he goes. I used to be a Cavs fan!

Return to Wiretap Discussion