Blatt: Cavaliers Won't Trade Andrew Wiggins

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Blatt: Cavaliers Won't Trade Andrew Wiggins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers are interested in trading for Kevin Love, but David Blatt said there's no chance of the team including Andrew Wiggins in any offers.

"There's no reason or cause for worry on his part because Andrew's not going anywhere, as far as I know and as far as the club has expressed," Blatt told reporters Saturday following the Cavaliers' Summer League practice in Las Vegas.

Love is "intrigued" by the idea of joining LeBron James on the Cavaliers.

Cleveland opened trade talks with Minnesota by offering Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett and a first-round draft pick.

"I would think for a guy like Andrew, to have the opportunity to play with arguably one of the best players of all time, and to learn from him and to be tutored by him and to play alongside him -- which he will -- I gotta think that's a tremendous boost to his confidence and his comfort level and probably his motivation," Blatt told reporters.

Via ESPN

TheHottestHand
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: Blatt: Cavaliers Won't Trade Andrew Wiggins 

Post#2 » by TheHottestHand » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Smart, plus he's on a cheap 4 year rookie deal
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#3 » by malgus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:54 pm

TheHottestHand wrote:Smart, plus he's on a cheap 4 year rookie deal

And he doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time, he can focus on D. He enjoys playing D so Lebron can dominate the ball and Wiggins will be fine with that.
TeamCanada
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#4 » by TeamCanada » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 am

Its easy to say that Wiggins wont be going anywhere when you have him signed. but If the t-wolves ask for wiggins and not much else. It would be hard to say no to an all-star proven to be the best in his position at the current moment in the NBA. yes the contract would be much larger, but they were already prepared to offer that to Love. proof is in the pudding. Kansas couldn't even win with Embiid and Wiggins. what does that mean
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,507

Post#5 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:49 am

TeamCanada wrote:Its easy to say that Wiggins wont be going anywhere when you have him signed. but If the t-wolves ask for wiggins and not much else. It would be hard to say no to an all-star proven to be the best in his position at the current moment in the NBA. yes the contract would be much larger, but they were already prepared to offer that to Love. proof is in the pudding. Kansas couldn't even win with Embiid and Wiggins. what does that mean

It means that it is difficult to win the NCAA tournament with a team built around two freshman when one of them is injured.

Refusing to trade Wiggins for Love is smart. They don't NEED Love to win. Wiggins is ready to be a great defender right away and is a fantastic finisher who will do great alongside Lebron. With Asik now in New Orleans to start alongside Davis, I would hang onto Wiggins and target Ryan Anderson to be their stretch-4 instead.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 620

Post#6 » by alienpick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 am

TeamCanada wrote:Its easy to say that Wiggins wont be going anywhere when you have him signed. but If the t-wolves ask for wiggins and not much else. It would be hard to say no to an all-star proven to be the best in his position at the current moment in the NBA. yes the contract would be much larger, but they were already prepared to offer that to Love. proof is in the pudding. Kansas couldn't even win with Embiid and Wiggins. what does that mean

they can wait until next year and make some moves to outright sign Love as a UFA. the wolves don't have as much leverage as you think, come trade deadline, they will be taking any deal they can get, rather than loose him for nothing
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 am

It means they take Waiters and Thompson or Bennett and picks or you just wait a year and try to get him signed then. The wolves have no leverage here. I wouldn't give up Wiggins either. To nice a contract and he can already be a defensive presence and take the pressure off Lebron having to guard the stars/ PG's etc.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
mosdef
Sophomore
And1: 167

Post#8 » by mosdef » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:49 am

if the cavs can still get Love without wiggins, wiggins will probably turn into some form of harrison barnes
dynamicswami
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#9 » by dynamicswami » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 am

malgus wrote:
TheHottestHand wrote:Smart, plus he's on a cheap 4 year rookie deal

And he doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time, he can focus on D. He enjoys playing D so Lebron can dominate the ball and Wiggins will be fine with that.

And if LeBron retires or opt-out (resign or sign elsewhere AGAIN after his current 2 yr contract), then Wiggins can take over what LeBron will leave. If Wiggins become an all-star caliber player along with Bennett being serviceable and Irving still around once LeBron leave/retire, this group of young stud can take over the EAST for at least a decade or more. But the current roster still has a thin bench players. They should probably trade Waiters/Thompson to get more players or they could just sign cheap unknown commodity via free agency and develop them intensively like what the SPURS are doing to it's players. Come to think of it, I think LeBron saw something from the SPURS that he's trying to imitate, that is to play with young solid players so that he could age well like what Duncan has being doing through out his career minus the pay cut. Cleveland should start drafting well in the mid-late 1st round and especially in the 2nd round, do not undervalue 2nd round picks, you could find hidden gems there.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Wiggins at 3, LeBron at 4?
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion