Mike Miller Agrees To Two-Year, $5.5M Deal With Cavs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mike Miller Agrees To Two-Year, $5.5M Deal With Cavs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Mike Miller has agreed upon a two-year deal, $5.5 million with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Miller received better offers from the Denver Nuggets and Houston Rockets, but chose to reunite with close friend LeBron James.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Re: Mike Miller Agrees To Two-Year, $5.5M Deal With Cavs 

Post#2 » by Chuck Newhouse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Is there many players left that haven't dissed Houston this off season.
taco_daddy
Senior
And1: 386

Post#3 » by taco_daddy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Will Ray Ray go to the Cavs too? Cavs are going to be dangerous. I got them penciled in for the ECF, maybe even the NBA Finals? Who knows.
After Rose broke both his knees, I gave up on the hope that we'd make it to the NBA Finals again. It will probably be decades before we see another championship. Hello Treadmill, here we come.

It's the shoes!
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#4 » by saltybs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Chuck Newhouse wrote:Is there many players left that haven't dissed Houston this off season.

Lulz. Love it. Morey's backtracking is great entertainment. Sorry Daryl, anyway you cut it your team is worse than it was last year... Have fun kicking out to Trevor "Brick" Ariza on the wing. If you squint hard enough he sorta looks like Parsons with a tan...
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#5 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Mike Miller and Ray Allen have become nothing more than lampreys on the shark that is Lebron James. Shame, because I used to think they were both pretty good players.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 pm

lol, i find it funny how people are saying miller took less money to join lebron - miller is still getting paid by the heat for next season. Even if miller had a contract offer from another team that paid him 5M next season that money would be deducted from what the heat owe him which is nearly 6M on the last year of his amnestied contract. Next season will be the year where miller needs to cash in because every dollar he makes will be new income and the heat won't be paying him anymore.
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#7 » by TheBallDoLie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:Mike Miller and Ray Allen have become nothing more than lampreys on the shark that is Lebron James. Shame, because I used to think they were both pretty good players.

Well they are pretty good players. Why would the team they play for make you think any less of them as basketball players.
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#8 » by burritoKURUMA » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 pm

taco_daddy wrote:Will Ray Ray go to the Cavs too? Cavs are going to be dangerous. I got them penciled in for the ECF, maybe even the NBA Finals? Who knows.

I'd be ecstatic if they could make it that far, but I just don't see it happening. This isn't the same as the Heat in 2010, this team is young and inexperienced, and it's going to take some time to gel.

That's why I don't think Ray Allen will join. If he does, wonderful, but I feel like the youth is going to be too much of an uncertainty to him, since he may only have a year left.
taco_daddy
Senior
And1: 386

Post#9 » by taco_daddy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:04 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:
taco_daddy wrote:Will Ray Ray go to the Cavs too? Cavs are going to be dangerous. I got them penciled in for the ECF, maybe even the NBA Finals? Who knows.

I'd be ecstatic if they could make it that far, but I just don't see it happening. This isn't the same as the Heat in 2010, this team is young and inexperienced, and it's going to take some time to gel.

That's why I don't think Ray Allen will join. If he does, wonderful, but I feel like the youth is going to be too much of an uncertainty to him, since he may only have a year left.

The East is softer than butter, it could happen. Really, who would reasonably stand in Cleveland's way? Miami? New York? Indiana? Chicago? I'm not saying any of those teams couldn't beat Cleveland, I'm saying it isn't a lock. Cleveland really could make the Finals next season.
After Rose broke both his knees, I gave up on the hope that we'd make it to the NBA Finals again. It will probably be decades before we see another championship. Hello Treadmill, here we come.

It's the shoes!
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#10 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:Mike Miller and Ray Allen have become nothing more than lampreys on the shark that is Lebron James. Shame, because I used to think they were both pretty good players.

Well they are pretty good players. Why would the team they play for make you think any less of them as basketball players.

Because they're just latching onto James and not continuing their own legacies. It's weak.
Circ
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#11 » by Circ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Taking less money at the end of your career is idiotic, especially if you already have a ring. I don't care who you want to play with.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#12 » by A BETTER DJ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm happy for Mike Miller. I've liked him since he was a rook with the Magic. Hope is healthy and can contribute.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#13 » by Chitownbulls » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Hes a LeBron mitch is all
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#14 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:

i think he should sign with OKC.
we all know he's former supersonics player so retire as a thunder would be good to see.

also OKC lacks that kind of veteran influence. sharp shooter like ray allen would be so good for spacing too.
if they want to beat spurs ray allen would help pretty much to them in small lineup and in some clutch minutes.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#15 » by olive_triangurl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Chicago will monster the Cavs in the paint :o

Not just in the paint but now it looks like the Bulls have better big man shooters with Gasol and Mirotic in the frontcourt and also small forward Doug McDermott.

And there is no Wade/Bosh to take the pressure off LeBron in the playoffs.

If I had to predict right now who wins the East= Chicago (as long as Rose doesn't try to take all the big shots, which he tends to screw up).
Poetry-In-Motion
Rookie
And1: 104

Post#16 » by Poetry-In-Motion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Sam195 wrote:lol, i find it funny how people are saying miller took less money to join lebron - miller is still getting paid by the heat for next season. Even if miller had a contract offer from another team that paid him 5M next season that money would be deducted from what the heat owe him which is nearly 6M on the last year of his amnestied contract. Next season will be the year where miller needs to cash in because every dollar he makes will be new income and the heat won't be paying him anymore.

Which is why people are correct when they say Miller took less money because the offer from the Nuggets was $12 million over 3 years. Therefore if you don't include this upcoming 2014/15 season due to the amnesty final year pay off, you are comparing a 1 year $2.25 million dollar deal from the Cavs, to a 2 year $4 million per year deal ($8 million in total) from the Nuggets. Get it?

Now to say whether it was the right choice or not is not our judgment but up to Mike Miller to prioritize what is most important, playing with Lebron and another chance at a title, or playing in Denver for more financial security. But don't get it twisted, he did take a pay cut.
OrlandoMagiking
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by OrlandoMagiking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

taco_daddy wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:

The East is softer than butter, it could happen. Really, who would reasonably stand in Cleveland's way? Miami? New York? Indiana? Chicago? I'm not saying any of those teams couldn't beat Cleveland, I'm saying it isn't a lock. Cleveland really could make the Finals next season.

Do you think that maybe Ray Allen goes to the Bulls (They need 3 point shooting, and are probably the best option other than Cleveland in the East)? I mean a potential lineup of Rose, Allen, Butler, Gasol, and Noah with Dunleavy, Mirotic, and Gibson is pretty good.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 pm

and LeBron gets his man back.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#19 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Poetry-In-Motion wrote:
Sam195 wrote:lol, i find it funny how people are saying miller took less money to join lebron - miller is still getting paid by the heat for next season. Even if miller had a contract offer from another team that paid him 5M next season that money would be deducted from what the heat owe him which is nearly 6M on the last year of his amnestied contract. Next season will be the year where miller needs to cash in because every dollar he makes will be new income and the heat won't be paying him anymore.

Which is why people are correct when they say Miller took less money because the offer from the Nuggets was $12 million over 3 years. Therefore if you don't include this upcoming 2014/15 season due to the amnesty final year pay off, you are comparing a 1 year $2.25 million dollar deal from the Cavs, to a 2 year $4 million per year deal ($8 million in total) from the Nuggets. Get it?

Now to say whether it was the right choice or not is not our judgment but up to Mike Miller to prioritize what is most important, playing with Lebron and another chance at a title, or playing in Denver for more financial security. But don't get it twisted, he did take a pay cut.

I'm pretty sure lebron gave miller a wink wink guarantee that cavs will take care of him next summer when he opts outs year 2 of this deal. Cavs likely will resign miller closer to his market value next season with either a portion of the mid-level or the non-bird exception. Cleveland isn't Miami - clearly miller is joining the cavs because he value's lebron's friendship.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#20 » by Aussiepiston1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Poetry-In-Motion wrote:

so let me get this right, if the heat owe Miller 6.6million this season and he is now going to get 2.75million from the Cavs, it gets deducted from the 6.6 so he doesn't make 9.35million? I thought it only gets deducted if someone is claimed of the amnesty waiver?

Return to Wiretap Discussion