Jackson: Lakers Were Looking For Long-Term Coach In Hiring D'Antoni

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Jackson: Lakers Were Looking For Long-Term Coach In Hiring D'Antoni 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

In an update to Phil Jackson's autobiography, he outlines how talks to return to the Los Angeles Lakers in November of 2012 unraveled.

Jackson was intrigued by the possibility of going after one more ring with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol now that the Lakers had also acquired Dwight Howard and Steve Nash.

"I was thinking of the job as a one-season gig, but Jimmy (Buss) and Mitch (Kupchak) were looking for a coach who could help them rebuild the team over the long haul," writes Jackson. "They were also eager to turn the Lakers back into the sort of fast-paced, high-scoring team they were in the Magic Johnson “Showtime” era — and (Mike) D’Antoni was certainly a coach who could make that happen.

"The overriding issue, however, was the state of owner Jerry Buss’s health. He’d been in and out of the hospital during the previous several months battling prostate cancer and other ailments. But things had taken a turn for the worse recently, and his family hoped that a turn in the Lakers’ fortunes might bring some joy into his life and, with luck, help speed his recovery.

"Several weeks later, the story came out that Dr. Buss, not Jimmy, had made the decision to go with D’Antoni. This seemed unlikely to me given the state of Jerry’s health — not to mention, Jimmy’s long history of impetuous decision-making — but it was impossible to verify that story one way or the other. In the end, it didn’t matter that much anyway. I was ready to move on."

Via Hugh Delehanty/New York Daily News

dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Re: Jackson: Lakers Were Looking For Long-Term Coach In Hiri 

Post#2 » by dirtymike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy!!!! Boy I swear! This couldve been historic. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
bballfanatic81
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#3 » by bballfanatic81 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 pm

dirtymike wrote:Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy!!!! Boy I swear! This couldve been historic. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

no coach was going to succeed with an aging backcourt and dwight coward refusing to run the pnr.

besides, jackson quit when the mavs swept the lakers earlier.
East_Coast wrote:Now that he's a #1 option, we'll see how Harden does. I've said for over a year that he was overrated because of his situation, and that if traded he would be exposed.

^ LoL. man...
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Could've would've should've.

I relate to this as a Celtics fan. KG's Knee in 2009. Perk Game 7 in 2010.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 203

Post#5 » by puja21 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Could've would've should've.

I relate to this as a Celtics fan. KG's Knee in 2009. Perk Game 7 in 2010.

Ugh.

On the bright side, I thought KG was done after 2009 and we got 3 more very good years out of that core.
Cancun Van Exel
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#6 » by Cancun Van Exel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

LOL Celtics fans blaming injuries. If Bynum wasn't hurt in '08, y'all woulda got swept.
Tite like your dad's banana hammock
eureca20
Junior
And1: 82

Post#7 » by eureca20 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Cancun Van Exel wrote:LOL Celtics fans blaming injuries. If Bynum wasn't hurt in '08, y'all woulda got swept.

Exactly if Bynum/Ariza weren't injured in 2008 then KG/Pierce have no championships. And Celtics have none since the 1986.
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#8 » by dirtymike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 pm

bballfanatic81 wrote:
dirtymike wrote:Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy!!!! Boy I swear! This couldve been historic. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

no coach was going to succeed with an aging backcourt and dwight coward refusing to run the pnr.

The triangle wouldve been the primary offense. PnR yea, but mainly the triangle. Phil wouldve gotten the best outta those guys!
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#9 » by thinktellectual » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 pm

bballfanatic81 wrote:

If there's one coach to get players to do what he wants them to do, it's Phil.
He made Jordan trust him teammates.
He made Kobe pass the ball from time to time, FFS.

Also, IIRC, during that Mavs series Phil was being treated for cancer himself.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#10 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Cancun Van Exel wrote:LOL Celtics fans blaming injuries. If Bynum wasn't hurt in '08, y'all woulda got swept.
What's even funnier is them thinking they were gonna win a Game 7 in Staples.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#11 » by Mamba Venom » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:42 am

Did Jeanie or Phil write the exert? Stop dragging your feet Phil. You proposed to her. You put a ring on it. TIE THAT KNOT ALREADY. You took a job in NY and your fiancee lives in LA. Are you going to ever follow through 8-)
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#12 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

You're literally using my same argument haha.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#13 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
What's even funnier is them thinking they were gonna win a Game 7 in Staples.

Should I remind you that it took the Celtics 6 Games to beat LA and the Lakers 7 Games to beat an Injured Celtics team?
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#14 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 pm

eureca20 wrote:

Exactly if Bynum/Ariza weren't injured in 2008 then KG/Pierce have no championships. And Celtics have none since the 1986.

I feel like my hypothetical argument has more weight than your hypothetical argument.

With Bynum/Ariza, it took your team 7 Games to beat an Injured Celtics team in 2010, while it took the C's 6 to beat the Lakers. We shouldn't even count Game 6 as a game, because the final score was basically 131 to 90.

All it takes is looking at KG's stats before his knee injury,

and the fact that the Celtics began the 2009 season 27-2.

Yes, 27-2. Best starting record through the first 29 games by any team in history, to realize that the C's would've had a threepeat. Both teams healthy, I think Boston would beat LA every time.
hou_fanman
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#15 » by hou_fanman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:23 pm

bballfanatic81 wrote:

D12 runs the PNR here. What seems to be the problem?
Cancun Van Exel
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Cancun Van Exel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

You're literally using my same argument haha.

That was my point. That it's kind of silly to think you would have won in any other years bc you wouldn't have celebrated anything if the playing field was levelled in '08 either.
Cancun Van Exel
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Cancun Van Exel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:16 am

Donnyxc wrote:
eureca20 wrote:

I feel like my hypothetical argument has more weight than your hypothetical argument.

With Bynum/Ariza, it took your team 7 Games to beat an Injured Celtics team in 2010, while it took the C's 6 to beat the Lakers. We shouldn't even count Game 6 as a game, because the final score was basically 131 to 90.

Yes, 27-2. Best starting record through the first 29 games by any team in history, to realize that the C's would've had a threepeat. Both teams healthy, I think Boston would beat LA every time.

Indiana and Portland started out like a house afire this year too. Doesn't mean squat. Just be thankful that you lucked into one 'ship in '08. You sound about as objective as Tommy Heinsohn :crazy:
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:
eureca20 wrote:

Indiana and Portland started out like a house afire this year too. Doesn't mean squat. Just be thankful that you lucked into one 'ship in '08. You sound about as objective as Tommy Heinsohn :crazy:

Haha, no one is like Tommy. Indiana and Portland were not nearly as good as the Boston squad. First off, nobody on Indiana or Portland has been an MVP. KG was a league MVP.

Defensively it's not even close either. The Celtics team was based on defense and ubuntu principles installed by Doc Rivers. They had a league best for lowest Points Against for several years.

Neither Portland or Indiana team had a consistent spot up shooter at 2 guard (Ray). You can argue Wes Matthews or Lance + PG can knock them, but not quite at the same level as Ray Allen Prime Supersonics and early Celtics days.

Then there's Pierce. Paul in his prime was as good of a scorer as Kobe. He was slower than Kobe, he wasn't as great a defender as Kobe.
However, he was equally as Clutch. Paul was a BETTER 3 point shooter. Kobe is 33% career, Paul 37%. He had equal moves at a different position. Paul's moves were slower, but he read his opponents better than anyone in the NBA, similar to Magic/Bird. He consistently got himself to the FT line. These are all past tense because Paul isn't nearly the player he was in his Prime.

The point is, all these guys were established individually. But they complemented each others skills so well in Boston. Pass first offense, and defense priority established them as easily the best team in the NBA during those seasons. It's really not hard to see that without KG's injury, the team would have accomplished more than they did. I'll take 2008.

Pau is a good player, but he's not great.
Bynum is a great player, when he's healthy. But hasn't proven much. He doesn't have the accolades as KG, nor the defensive dominance. Perkins kept Bynum in check when he was healthy, along with Dwight Howard, Al Horford, and several dominant big men.

We're not even taking Rondo into the equation here. Because Rondo vs. any LA point guard is just unfair. Rondo's talent for defense, and know where his teammates are on the court is unparalleled in today's NBA.

Fisher came up huge for LA against Orlando, and then an Injured C's team in 2010. But he's not Rondo.
Kobe was great, but even he didn't play well in 2010 Finals. Pau bailed him out. LA got 2 rings, but it feels as if there should be an asterisk next to them. The better team did not win in 2010.
Cancun Van Exel
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Cancun Van Exel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

Haha, no one is like Tommy. Indiana and Portland were not nearly as good as the Boston squad. First off, nobody on Indiana or Portland has been an MVP. KG was a league MVP.

Defensively it's not even close either. The Celtics team was based on defense and ubuntu principles installed by Doc Rivers. They had a league best for lowest Points Against for several years.

Neither Portland or Indiana team had a consistent spot up shooter at 2 guard (Ray). You can argue Wes Matthews or Lance + PG can knock them, but not quite at the same level as Ray Allen Prime Supersonics and early Celtics days.

Then there's Pierce. Paul in his prime was as good of a scorer as Kobe. He was slower than Kobe, he wasn't as great a defender as Kobe.
However, he was equally as Clutch. Paul was a BETTER 3 point shooter. Kobe is 33% career, Paul 37%. He had equal moves at a different position. Paul's moves were slower, but he read his opponents better than anyone in the NBA, similar to Magic/Bird. He consistently got himself to the FT line. These are all past tense because Paul isn't nearly the player he was in his Prime.

The point is, all these guys were established individually. But they complemented each others skills so well in Boston. Pass first offense, and defense priority established them as easily the best team in the NBA during those seasons. It's really not hard to see that without KG's injury, the team would have accomplished more than they did. I'll take 2008.

Bynum is a great player, when he's healthy. But hasn't proven much. He doesn't have the accolades as KG, nor the defensive dominance. Perkins kept Bynum in check when he was healthy, along with Dwight Howard, Al Horford, and several dominant big men.

We're not even taking Rondo into the equation here. Because Rondo vs. any LA point guard is just unfair. Rondo's talent for defense, and know where his teammates are on the court is unparalleled in today's NBA.

Fisher came up huge for LA against Orlando, and then an Injured C's team in 2010. But he's not Rondo.
Kobe was great, but even he didn't play well in 2010 Finals. Pau bailed him out. LA got 2 rings, but it feels as if there should be an asterisk next to them. The better team did not win in 2010.

TLDR. Celtics fans are notoriously biased and this is a perfect example. Oh well, good luck and congrats on the Jeff Green/Avery Bradley core that your genius GM has put together.
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#20 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:

TLDR. Celtics fans are notoriously biased and this is a perfect example. Oh well, good luck and congrats on the Jeff Green/Avery Bradley core that your genius GM has put together.

I mean, are you afraid to show a counterpoint? You can try to hide and call "all celtics fans" "biased".

If you read anything on this board that I write, you will see that I'm pretty objective. Our current Roster is terrible.

My impression on the big 3 era isn't that biased. It's based on facts. They were statistically incredible team, with incredible individual talent, and I think they were the best team during those 3 years. I'm not arguing that LA didn't still get it done in 2009, 2010. My point is the better team didn't win.

Return to Wiretap Discussion