Andrew Wiggins Expected To Soon Sign Rookie Deal With Cavs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andrew Wiggins Expected To Soon Sign Rookie Deal With Cavs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:12 am

Andrew Wiggins and the Cleveland Cavaliers are expected to sign a contract in the coming week.

Sources say the delay in Wiggins signing his deal has nothing to do with the possibilty of being traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Kevin Love.

The Cavaliers, sources say, are merely exploring options for using their estimated $1.4 million in remaining cap space before signing Wiggins to a contract that will pay him in the neighborhood of $5.5 million as a rookie.

Once Wiggins signs, however, league rules stipulate that the Cavs must wait 30 days before trading him.

One option under consideration for the Cavs, sources say, is using their leftover salary-cap space to create long-term contracts for recent second-round picks Joe Harris and Dwight Powell. Signing Wiggins first would preclude such moves.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Andrew Wiggins Expected To Soon Sign Rookie Deal With Ca 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:42 am

Wolves are asking the moon for Kevin Love. If I were the cavs I would give memphis a call and try to pry Marc Gasol. Even though Gasol is an anchor for the grizzlies, it' doesn't look like they want to pay him the max deal he will expect in 2015 free agency. There are teams lining up including the lakers and knicks who want to sign him next year with max money. Lamarcus Aldridge has already committed to resigning in Portland and Love will likely also get dealt so Gasol will be next summer's top free agent (aside from lebron who will resign with cavs). I highly doubt grizzlies can resign him if they flop in the playoffs again. Lebron's heat teams lost in the finals twice to the mavs and spurs because of lack of post defense and rim protection. Marc Gasol brings both to the table. People seem to think Kevin Love will still average 26 and 12 playing alongside lebron but that's what people said about bosh in 2010. I think love will be a worse fit than bosh next to lebron because he is not even close to the elite defender bosh is. I'm sure grizzlies would accept a trade of wiggins and varejao for gasol. Wiggins would be the young wing defender the grizzlies have lacked since shane battier was in his prime and he could also develop into an elite offensive talent that can replace declining tayshaun prince. Varejao along with more minutes for Koufos should help fill the gap left by marc gasol. Both teams instantly get better and I'm pretty sure marc gasol will commit to signing a max extension with cavs just to have the opportunity to play with lebron and irving.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#3 » by alienpick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 am

Sam195 wrote:Wolves are asking the moon for Kevin Love. If I were the cavs I would give memphis a call and try to pry Marc Gasol. Even though Gasol is an anchor for the grizzlies, it' doesn't look like they want to pay him the max deal he will expect in 2015 free agency. There are teams lining up including the lakers and knicks who want to sign him next year with max money. Lamarcus Aldridge has already committed to resigning in Portland and Love will likely also get dealt so Gasol will be next summer's top free agent (aside from lebron who will resign with cavs). I highly doubt grizzlies can resign him if they flop in the playoffs again. Lebron's heat teams lost in the finals twice to the mavs and spurs because of lack of post defense and rim protection. Marc Gasol brings both to the table. People seem to think Kevin Love will still average 26 and 12 playing alongside lebron but that's what people said about bosh in 2010. I think love will be a worse fit than bosh next to lebron because he is not even close to the elite defender bosh is. I'm sure grizzlies would accept a trade of wiggins and varejao for gasol. Wiggins would be the young wing defender the grizzlies have lacked since shane battier was in his prime and he could also develop into an elite offensive talent that can replace declining tayshaun prince. Varejao along with more minutes for Koufos should help fill the gap left by marc gasol. Both teams instantly get better and I'm pretty sure marc gasol will commit to signing a max extension with cavs just to have the opportunity to play with lebron and irving.

Agreed, the Cavs have blinders on and are one-minded, which is only going to get them into trouble. The number one reason why I didn't want Lebron to go to CLE was because the upper management there sucks. They proved time and time again in his first 7 years that they have no idea how to build a team around him... now they are doing it again, they have a lot of good things going for them, and a lot of options out there, and they are stuck on one player; who isn't really that great a fit, as you pointed out.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#4 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:06 am

In the meantime, the Warriors work out a contract extension for Klay Thompson at 4 years for $48 mil. If he denies the offer and wants the max contract of 4 years $64 mil to $72 mil, then ship him to Minnesota and let him freeze his butt off in Minnesota with that max contract that's IF Kevin Love accepts a contract extension right away after being traded to the Warriors.

Kevin Love = 4 Years for $72 mil to $80 mil
>
Klay Thompson = 4 Years for $64 mil to $72 mil
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#5 » by D21 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:58 am

alienpick wrote:...They proved time and time again in his first 7 years that they have no idea how to build a team around him... now they are doing it again, they have a lot of good things going for them, and a lot of options out there, and they are stuck on one player; who isn't really that great a fit, as you pointed out.

I disagree, at least 90%

When James was with CLE, their main problem has nothing to do with players, it was simply their head coach.
With a better coach than Brown, they would have won one or two titles.

And now, since James can be a F.A. each year, it basically means he's in every decision their will make, including the current one
Tim_W
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#6 » by Tim_W » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:08 am

D21 wrote:
alienpick wrote:...They proved time and time again in his first 7 years that they have no idea how to build a team around him... now they are doing it again, they have a lot of good things going for them, and a lot of options out there, and they are stuck on one player; who isn't really that great a fit, as you pointed out.

I disagree, at least 90%

When James was with CLE, their main problem has nothing to do with players, it was simply their head coach.

And now, since James can be a F.A. each year, it basically mean he's in every decision their will make

The only other All Star LeBron played with in Cleveland was Mo Williams. That says something about the level of talent he played with. Any good player they got they got a few years too late (Ben Wallace, Shaq) and many of the players they acquired was simply a bad fit to play beside him (Larry Hughes). They whiffed in draft picks, made bad trades and signings until LeBron had little choice but to leave if he wanted to win a Championship in the next few years.

Plus they had bad coaching.
Tim_W
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Tim_W » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:10 am

alienpick wrote:The number one reason why I didn't want Lebron to go to CLE was because the upper management there sucks. They proved time and time again in his first 7 years that they have no idea how to build a team around him... now they are doing it again, they have a lot of good things going for them, and a lot of options out there, and they are stuck on one player; who isn't really that great a fit, as you pointed out.

The problem with your argument is that this is a different management than the one they had when LeBron was last in Cleveland. This GM was not even in charge when they drafted Anthony Bennett over Victor Oladipo.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#8 » by D21 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:50 am

Tim_W wrote:
D21 wrote:

I disagree, at least 90%

And now, since James can be a F.A. each year, it basically mean he's in every decision their will make

The only other All Star LeBron played with in Cleveland was Mo Williams. That says something about the level of talent he played with. Any good player they got they got a few years too late (Ben Wallace, Shaq) and many of the players they acquired was simply a bad fit to play beside him (Larry Hughes). They whiffed in draft picks, made bad trades and signings until LeBron had little choice but to leave if he wanted to win a Championship in the next few years.

Plus they had bad coaching.

I agree with you, I said their "main problem" was Head coach, I didn't say the rest was perfect.
The trades were not perfect, but it was enough to win with the right coach, something they forgot to fix.
Buffalo_Tim
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#9 » by Buffalo_Tim » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:11 am

Great news for Cavs (and basketball) fans, as this means he couldn't be traded right away. Would love to see Wiggins and LeBron play together. The Cavs are going to be must see tv.
Buffalo_Tim
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#10 » by Buffalo_Tim » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 am

alienpick wrote:Agreed, the Cavs have blinders on and are one-minded, which is only going to get them into trouble. The number one reason why I didn't want Lebron to go to CLE was because the upper management there sucks. They proved time and time again in his first 7 years that they have no idea how to build a team around him... now they are doing it again, they have a lot of good things going for them, and a lot of options out there, and they are stuck on one player; who isn't really that great a fit, as you pointed out.

Hard to judge the Cavs' front office when they have a new GM (David Griffin). Can't blame him for things that happened before he was there (though has been with the team since 2010 as the president of basketball operations).
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#11 » by miltk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 am

is there a window for a trade or is it open ended?
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#12 » by thegreenlife » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 am

Buffalo_Tim wrote:Great news for Cavs (and basketball) fans, as this means he couldn't be traded right away. Would love to see Wiggins and LeBron play together. The Cavs are going to be must see tv.

Great news for Celtics fans as well, cause with Wiggins off the trading block, it means that the Celtics have the next best offer for Kevin Love :lol:
MNRunLeft
Starter
And1: 362

Post#13 » by MNRunLeft » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:In the meantime, the Warriors work out a contract extension for Klay Thompson at 4 years for $48 mil. If he denies the offer and wants the max contract of 4 years $64 mil to $72 mil, then ship him to Minnesota and let him freeze his butt off in Minnesota with that max contract that's IF Kevin Love accepts a contract extension right away after being traded to the Warriors.

Kevin Love = 4 Years for $72 mil to $80 mil
>
Klay Thompson = 4 Years for $64 mil to $72 mil

Why on earth is Thompson going to consider 4 years $48 million?

Wiggins signing only delays any deal between the Wolves from becoming official to 30 days from when Wiggins signs. A deal can be agreed upon between the Wolves and Cavs and Wiggins salary being able to be moved rather than simply removing his cap hold may actually make a deal easier on the $ side.
Skoolboy
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#14 » by Skoolboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Cavs need to hold on to Wiggins as much as they can. I have a feeling that no matter if Love is traded or not, he is going to want to test free agency, why wouldn't he.
Why do the Yankees win every year? 'Cause they can't keep their eyes off the pinstripes
TwolvesFan66
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#15 » by TwolvesFan66 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 pm

LOL to all you Cav's fans that want to desperately hold onto Wiggins. Cavs will have no cap space at all to sign Love if he leaves but if you do trade Wiggins, Bennett and a 1st you are odds on favorites to win the whole thing. Wolves were the best team in basketball last year with the starting lineup. The bench sucked. We have a better bench this year so even if we have to keep Love they are going deep into the playoffs.
TwolvesFan66
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#16 » by TwolvesFan66 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Skoolboy wrote:Cavs need to hold on to Wiggins as much as they can. I have a feeling that no matter if Love is traded or not, he is going to want to test free agency, why wouldn't he.

Championships. With Irving, Lebron and Love with a solid defensive center in Varajo they got a really nice team. And look at the stats when Love plays against Duncan and the Spurs. It's Parker and Ginobli that kill the Wolves, not Duncan or anyone else.
Ring_Me
Rookie
And1: 588

Post#17 » by Ring_Me » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Skoolboy wrote:Cavs need to hold on to Wiggins as much as they can. I have a feeling that no matter if Love is traded or not, he is going to want to test free agency, why wouldn't he.

I'm no Cavs fan but there was an article for Kevin Love about being loyal to Cleveland if they get him out of Minnesota.
"Do not go gentle into that good night." :starwars
occelticsfan24
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#18 » by occelticsfan24 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:30 pm

TwolvesFan66 wrote:LOL to all you Cav's fans that want to desperately hold onto Wiggins. Cavs will have no cap space at all to sign Love if he leaves but if you do trade Wiggins, Bennett and a 1st you are odds on favorites to win the whole thing. Wolves were the best team in basketball last year with the starting lineup. The bench sucked. We have a better bench this year so even if we have to keep Love they are going deep into the playoffs.

Did someone just say the Wolves are going deep into the playoffs? :lol:
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#19 » by lakersin4 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:13 pm

TwolvesFan66 wrote:

Championships. With Irving, Lebron and Love with a solid defensive center in Varajo they got a really nice team. And look at the stats when Love plays against Duncan and the Spurs. It's Parker and Ginobli that kill the Wolves, not Duncan or anyone else.

Irving & Love both miss 20-30 games per season.. AV misses 40-50 games per season. Lebron will end up carrying that team more than he did Miami.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#20 » by castor777 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:14 pm

alienpick wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Wolves are asking the moon for Kevin Love. If I were the cavs I would give memphis a call and try to pry Marc Gasol. Even though Gasol is an anchor for the grizzlies, it' doesn't look like they want to pay him the max deal he will expect in 2015 free agency. There are teams lining up including the lakers and knicks who want to sign him next year with max money. Lamarcus Aldridge has already committed to resigning in Portland and Love will likely also get dealt so Gasol will be next summer's top free agent (aside from lebron who will resign with cavs). I highly doubt grizzlies can resign him if they flop in the playoffs again. Lebron's heat teams lost in the finals twice to the mavs and spurs because of lack of post defense and rim protection. Marc Gasol brings both to the table. People seem to think Kevin Love will still average 26 and 12 playing alongside lebron but that's what people said about bosh in 2010. I think love will be a worse fit than bosh next to lebron because he is not even close to the elite defender bosh is. I'm sure grizzlies would accept a trade of wiggins and varejao for gasol. Wiggins would be the young wing defender the grizzlies have lacked since shane battier was in his prime and he could also develop into an elite offensive talent that can replace declining tayshaun prince. Varejao along with more minutes for Koufos should help fill the gap left by marc gasol. Both teams instantly get better and I'm pretty sure marc gasol will commit to signing a max extension with cavs just to have the opportunity to play with lebron and irving.

Agreed, the Cavs have blinders on and are one-minded, which is only going to get them into trouble. The number one reason why I didn't want Lebron to go to CLE was because the upper management there sucks. They proved time and time again in his first 7 years that they have no idea how to build a team around him... now they are doing it again, they have a lot of good things going for them, and a lot of options out there, and they are stuck on one player; who isn't really that great a fit, as you pointed out.

If and when a trade for Kevin Love were to happen that involves Wiggins, then you might have a point. But right now, you're just speculating based on reports (very conflicting ones) about what the Cavs are even offering to get Kevin Love. Unless one of the GMs comes out and says what the offer is right now, we have no clue what's being discussed. I really don't think it's going to happen, and if it does it'll be closer to the trade deadline when the Wolves have no choice but to move him.

I don't get the attack at upper management either. If you're referring to Dan Gilbert being inpatient and force his hand (a la signing Bynum last year), I'd agree with you. But the GM position is completely different than when LeBron left the Cavs. We have very little to go on right now with David Griffin, he made a small trade for Spencer Hawes which was bad in hindsight since he already left. And he drafted Andrew Wiggins. Other than that, nothing else to judge him on.

Return to Wiretap Discussion