Jameer Nelson Finalizes Two-Year, $6M Deal With Mavericks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jameer Nelson Finalizes Two-Year, $6M Deal With Mavericks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Free agent guard Jameer Nelson has finalized the paperwork on his two-year, $6 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks, a league source told RealGM.

Nelson will earn $2.73 million in the first season of his deal and $3.27 million in Year 2, which will be a player option.

Well over 10 NBA teams – including the Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, Washington Wizards and Chicago Bulls – pursued Nelson in unrestricted free agency and remained interested as he neared an agreement with the Mavericks.

Nelson’s former star teammate, Dwight Howard, made multiple recruiting pitches to Nelson about joining the Rockets, sources told RealGM. Howard and Nelson led the Orlando Magic to the NBA Finals in 2009.

Despite designs on his potential roles with various franchises, Nelson balanced finances and a winning situation, and decided upon Dallas earlier in the week. He’s expected to receive strong consideration for the Mavericks’ starting point guard position.

After six straight playoff appearances with the Magic, Nelson underwent two losing seasons in which the organization went 43-121. He averaged 12.1 points, seven assists and 3.4 rebounds in 68 games last season.

Nelson, 32, was the 20th overall draft pick in 2004 out of St. Joseph’s Univeristy. Over 10 seasons with the Magic, Nelson averaged 12.6 points and 5.4 assists.

ESPN first reported Nelson’s deal with the Mavericks.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

johnnystamos
Sophomore
And1: 16

Re: Jameer Nelson Finalizes Two-Year, $6M Deal With Maverick 

Post#2 » by johnnystamos » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Nelson will earn $2.73 million in the first season of his deal and $3.27 million in Year 2, which will be a player option.

Contracts signed with Bird rights are limited to 7.5% raises. Contracts signed without Bird rights are limited to 4.5% raises. Dallas doesn't have Nelson's Bird rights.

The article says this contract goes up by 19.8% from it's first to second year.

The amount of ludicrous errors on RealGM is starting to wear me down. Can you please just hire an editor to check these things before they get posted. If you can't find anyone else, I could just do it.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#3 » by bqmuzik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 pm

winning situation? arent the Mavs the worst team of the bunch who recruited him?
Airmax3D
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#4 » by Airmax3D » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 pm

bqmuzik wrote:winning situation? arent the Mavs the worst team of the bunch who recruited him?

Seriously? I definitely see the Mavs among the top of the western conference next season! They are better than Houston! Look at their acquisitions: Chandler, Parsons, Felton (hm...), Jameer Nelson!
They have a good starting lineup and lacks nothing!

I seriously wouldn't count them out!

Houston on the other hand could have welcomed a guy like Nelson, their PG situation is critical...
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#5 » by The59Sound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 pm

johnnystamos wrote:

Contracts signed with Bird rights are limited to 7.5% raises. Contracts signed without Bird rights are limited to 4.5% raises. Dallas doesn't have Nelson's Bird rights.

The amount of ludicrous errors on RealGM is starting to wear me down. Can you please just hire an editor to check these things before they get posted. If you can't find anyone else, I could just do it.

Bird rights/no Bird rights don't come into play in this situation. Dallas is using their "room exception." That would make his second year salary $2.814 million, as agreed upon in the CBA.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#6 » by bqmuzik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Airmax3D wrote:
bqmuzik wrote:winning situation? arent the Mavs the worst team of the bunch who recruited him?

Seriously? I definitely see the Mavs among the top of the western conference next season! They are better than Houston! Look at their acquisitions: Chandler, Parsons, Felton (hm...), Jameer Nelson!

Houston on the other hand could have welcomed a guy like Nelson, their PG situation is critical...

I agree with you, I just figured Houston was a better fit and opportunity...
RoBo02
Senior
And1: 288

Post#7 » by RoBo02 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 pm

bqmuzik wrote:
Airmax3D wrote:

I agree with you, I just figured Houston was a better fit and opportunity...

No chance that Jameer would have signed in Houston with Dwight there
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#8 » by saltybs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 pm

The59Sound wrote:
johnnystamos wrote:

Bird rights/no Bird rights don't come into play in this situation. Dallas is using their "room exception." That would make his second year salary $2.814 million, as agreed upon in the CBA.

LOL. Dork just got out-dorked! Please keep up the shameless plugs for a RealGM job. I'm sure "Misinformed Bird Rights Editor" will put a lot of bread on your table.
Bench Warmer
And1: 79

Post#9 » by 360 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 pm

As a Grizz fan, I really hate to see a division rival getting stronger, but I have to give the Mavs credit. They have put together quite a squad. Alot of very good veteran guys and they aren't super old. If Monta and Harris play as well as they did last year, with their new additions, they are going to be very hard to beat and fun to watch. I have them ranked #2 behind the Spurs now.
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#10 » by saltybs » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 am

A starting five of Jameer, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, and Tyson is going to be fuuuuuun to watch if they can gel. They really need Jameer to shoot well off-ball like how Calderon did.

One question.. who guards the "super wings"? Parsons? This must be why the grabbed Aminu. ANOTHER good pickup!

::round of applause for Donnie and Cubes::
P3JA for 3
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#11 » by P3JA for 3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 am

felton = out of nba in 2 years
Peja, Iverson, CP3, T-Mac, Starks, Artest. Will never get over how the 01-02 Kings got cheated by the refs.

http://twitter.com/Jsnwwf
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 am

The59Sound wrote:
johnnystamos wrote:

Bird rights ave to do with max salary players. Check out the pay increases of Lin and Asik this year.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 am

So will Felton be traded, released or expected to contribute?
The59Sound
Head Coach

Post#14 » by The59Sound » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:17 am

saltybs wrote:LOL. Dork just got out-dorked! Please keep up the shameless plugs for a RealGM job. I'm sure "Misinformed Bird Rights Editor" will put a lot of bread on your table.

Thanks for taking a brief timeout from your superior life to post on the same basketball message board as the rest of us.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The59Sound
Head Coach

Post#15 » by The59Sound » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Bird rights ave to do with max salary players. Check out the pay increases of Lin and Asik this year.

That's not true at all. An explanation of Bird rights:
This exception allows teams to exceed the cap in order to re-sign their own free agents, up to the player's maximum salary. Teams are said to have "Bird rights" to players who qualify. To qualify for this exception a player essentially must play for three seasons without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can qualify by playing under three consecutive one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any equivalent combination. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Larry Bird exception to re-sign him. These contracts can be up to five years in length, with raises up to 7.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception is formally a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception.

Lin's and Asik's contracts were made possible by the Gilbert Arenas provision:
Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception . Limiting the first-year salary in this way enables the player's original team to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception, or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (provided they have it and haven't used it already).

The second-year salary in such an offer sheet is limited to the standard 4.5% raise. The third-year salary can jump considerably -- it is allowed to be as high as it would have been had the first-year salary not been limited by this rule to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,066

Post#16 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:47 am

Good luck in Dallas, Jameer!
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#17 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:21 am

Very happy for the little guy! Hope they do well. There's no way he would have gone to Houston, he was among the people that Dwight threw under the bus when he left.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:41 am

The59Sound wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Bird rights ave to do with max salary players. Check out the pay increases of Lin and Asik this year.

That's not true at all. An explanation of Bird rights:
This exception allows teams to exceed the cap in order to re-sign their own free agents, up to the player's maximum salary. Teams are said to have "Bird rights" to players who qualify. To qualify for this exception a player essentially must play for three seasons without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can qualify by playing under three consecutive one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any equivalent combination. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Larry Bird exception to re-sign him. These contracts can be up to five years in length, with raises up to 7.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception is formally a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception.

Lin's and Asik's contracts were made possible by the Gilbert Arenas provision:
Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception . Limiting the first-year salary in this way enables the player's original team to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception, or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (provided they have it and haven't used it already).

The second-year salary in such an offer sheet is limited to the standard 4.5% raise. The third-year salary can jump considerably -- it is allowed to be as high as it would have been had the first-year salary not been limited by this rule to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

Oops!
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#19 » by caronimo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:47 am

I remember when he got drafted if he or Sebastian Telfair would be the better pick (Telfair got drafted 13th overall while Jameer got drafter 20th). I think it's safe to say Jameer has the better career.
aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#20 » by aussiewill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:37 am

Ha! I wonder if some read the comments because the article has now been altered to include the 2nd year salary as $2.86M.

Return to Wiretap Discussion