Silver: NBA Will Evaluate Pros, Cons Of International Tournaments

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Silver: NBA Will Evaluate Pros, Cons Of International Tournaments 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:01 pm

Adam Silver said he doesn't expect a major change in the participation of NBA players in international competitions following the injury to Paul George.

"Without a doubt, basketball has grown tremendously since 1992, when NBA players began playing in the Olympics," Silver said. "Also, it's important to note the [improvement] many of our players have made in terms of ability, leadership and passion for the game by playing for their home countries. Injuries can happen any place at any time. The experiences our players have enjoyed by participating in their national teams, however, are ones that are unique and special in almost every other way. At this point, I don't anticipate a major shift in the NBA's participation in international competitions.

"It seems clear, however, that this will be a topic at our next NBA competition committee meeting in September and our board of governors meeting in October. And, of course, we will continue to evaluate the pros and cons of participating in international tournaments."

Silver is attempting to make basketball more popular internationally, which is one of the primary motivations in having NBA players participate in international events.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,619

Re: Silver: NBA Will Evaluate Pros, Cons Of International To 

Post#2 » by Ice Man » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:29 pm

It's pretty simple. Require stanchions to be 6 feet back of the end line, and Paul George is playing basketball today.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:44 pm

Wow - an injury playing at a USAB training camp is causing this much trouble? What do you want these guys NOT to represent their country? Whether they are in the NBA or not, they should have the choice to play for their national team. Even Larry Bird said this injury could of happened at any time - that's what sports are: every player runs a chance of injury (whether sever or minor) when they step on to the court...both game time or practice.

If you don't want serious injuries look for accountants or admin personnel working at an office - worst thing you'll get there is posture problems or carpel tunnel....
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#4 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Mon Aug 4, 2014 3:24 pm

He is just saying this to try and safe face. Everyone knows about the risk, and strain it can cause the body. They can't outright ban participation as some people would take the risk to represent their country.
Credits to Jstock12
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 4, 2014 3:44 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:Wow - an injury playing at a USAB training camp is causing this much trouble? What do you want these guys NOT to represent their country? Whether they are in the NBA or not, they should have the choice to play for their national team. Even Larry Bird said this injury could of happened at any time - that's what sports are: every player runs a chance of injury (whether sever or minor) when they step on to the court...both game time or practice.

If you don't want serious injuries look for accountants or admin personnel working at an office - worst thing you'll get there is posture problems or carpel tunnel....

its not necessarily the injuries. Who pays the salary when things happen? Most sports contracts have clauses that suspend payment if you get injured say hang-gliding, or skydiving, or riding ATV's. This wasnt a Pacers practice, a team sponsored activity. This was helping get the NBA name out, without the NBA owing a dime. Now Indiana is out a lot of money ($17mil contract + revenue for a team that probably wont make the playoffs now)
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#6 » by DJ3thenew23 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 3:53 pm

Ice Man wrote:It's pretty simple. Require stanchions to be 6 feet back of the end line, and Paul George is playing basketball today.

It's not that simple at all. FIBA and the NBA have different regulations. What happened to PG was a freak injury. Moving it back, while it might have saved PG, won't stop other freak injuries from happening.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#7 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:06 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Wow - an injury playing at a USAB training camp is causing this much trouble? What do you want these guys NOT to represent their country? Whether they are in the NBA or not, they should have the choice to play for their national team. Even Larry Bird said this injury could of happened at any time - that's what sports are: every player runs a chance of injury (whether sever or minor) when they step on to the court...both game time or practice.

its not necessarily the injuries. Who pays the salary when things happen? Most sports contracts have clauses that suspend payment if you get injured say hang-gliding, or skydiving, or riding ATV's. This wasnt a Pacers practice, a team sponsored activity. This was helping get the NBA name out, without the NBA owing a dime. Now Indiana is out a lot of money ($17mil contract + revenue for a team that probably wont make the playoffs now)

They should understand this as owners/GMs if they are afraid of having that happen, have a clause in the contract. I don't know who is going to pay his salary - he has the right to play for his country. Just like he (and other players) get bonuses and perks when they make the all star teams..win MVP awards, etc. They should have something for injuries like this - they shouldn't prevent them from playing for the national team.

What if he was walking down the stairs in his house, tripped and broke his collar bone? Should he not be allowed to have stairs in his house? Only elevators? Will they implement life-regimen techniques that eliminate any type of injury?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#8 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:16 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

They should understand this as owners/GMs if they are afraid of having that happen, have a clause in the contract. I don't know who is going to pay his salary - he has the right to play for his country. Just like he (and other players) get bonuses and perks when they make the all star teams..win MVP awards, etc. They should have something for injuries like this - they shouldn't prevent them from playing for the national team.

What if he was walking down the stairs in his house, tripped and broke his collar bone? Should he not be allowed to have stairs in his house? Only elevators? Will they implement life-regimen techniques that eliminate any type of injury?

ok, first of all, you dont have a "right" to play for a country. You have a privilege, you can be invited, but you dont have a right. I think i know what you mean, but it is just the wording. Second of all, you can spell it out in contract language that he cant play any sport, pickup, etc outside of team activities or his contract can be voided or not have to pay salary. Like i said, already exists in other sports.

And who is reimbursing the Pacers for a team that will now not make the playoffs? lose merchandise sales, playoff revenue from games, tickets, etc?
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#9 » by Darren_Errman » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:26 pm

Basketball players play basketball.

Simple: remove as many potential injury causes as you can, namely the stanchion and all those camera men. Make the court as safe as u can.

We fans dont mind not having those baseline camera angles. Move them back!
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#10 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:37 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

ok, first of all, you dont have a "right" to play for a country. You have a privilege, you can be invited, but you dont have a right. I think i know what you mean, but it is just the wording. Second of all, you can spell it out in contract language that he cant play any sport, pickup, etc outside of team activities or his contract can be voided or not have to pay salary. Like i said, already exists in other sports.

And who is reimbursing the Pacers for a team that will now not make the playoffs? lose merchandise sales, playoff revenue from games, tickets, etc?

who did pay bulls for d.rose injury?
who did pay knicks for losing STAT?

on court or out court.
it doesnt matter.

when injuries happens teams lost a lot of money, they lost potential revenue. but that is business with risks.

adidas signs with d.rose. and d.rose injured. so are there anyone compansate adidas? no.

sports invesments have some risks. but at the end of the day it still pretty much profitable business.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#11 » by A BETTER DJ » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:03 pm

Darren_Errman wrote:Basketball players play basketball.

Simple: remove as many potential injury causes as you can, namely the stanchion and all those camera men. Make the court as safe as u can.

I have thought this for a long time! I would not want to be in the position to try and decide how to land with people and a bunch of heavy, hard cameras right at the base line. They have big lenses to get the shot with, move them back! How many times have we seen players get up limping after they fall into photographers' row? By the way, I am a professional photographer!
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Post#12 » by DrClutch » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:17 pm

Really? So its just International tournaments? Nothing with players participating in Drew league, Nike Tournaments,Streetball, sponsoring Brands out side country etc. all a joke over here after PG(franchise player, think league plans for them to win NBA title got shattered) gets injured
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#13 » by D21 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:35 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

It would be unbelievable that Team USA players don't have an insurance,
because every other NBA players playing for other countries have insurance.

I remember lots of stories, like Dirk and Germany paying his huge insurance, Diaw and France (Diaw, like Deng, still was on a special injury list that increases insurance cost, while he had played all the 82 games with PHX, and had to pay himself big part of it because French federation couldn't afford it).
They are all insured for the games they play out of the NBA.

What guys like Cuban are asking is more something to get from the fact that World Cup or Olympics are getting more money if all the teams have their NBA players, and that no part of this money is coming back to NBA teams.

Regarding the loss for the team when a player like Paul George is injured, don't forget that when he's with Team USA on a big international tournament, he brings more fan to IND, selling more IND things around the world.
Maybe not enough to match the loss of one season, but it's not like IND have nothing to win when one of their player is with Team USA
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#14 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:37 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:They should understand this as owners/GMs if they are afraid of having that happen, have a clause in the contract. I don't know who is going to pay his salary - he has the right to play for his country. Just like he (and other players) get bonuses and perks when they make the all star teams..win MVP awards, etc. They should have something for injuries like this - they shouldn't prevent them from playing for the national team.

who did pay bulls for d.rose injury?
who did pay knicks for losing STAT?

on court or out court.
it doesnt matter.

when injuries happens teams lost a lot of money, they lost potential revenue. but that is business with risks.

adidas signs with d.rose. and d.rose injured. so are there anyone compansate adidas? no.

sports invesments have some risks. but at the end of the day it still pretty much profitable business.

was Rose and Stat injured on the court or doing Bulls/Knicks team activities?
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#15 » by Darren_Errman » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:38 pm

A BETTER DJ wrote:
Darren_Errman wrote:Basketball players play basketball.

I have thought this for a long time! I would not want to be in the position to try and decide how to land with people and a bunch of heavy, hard cameras right at the base line. They have big lenses to get the shot with, move them back! How many times have we seen players get up limping after they fall into photographers' row? By the way, I am a professional photographer!

I agree. It's unbelievably stupid to have those camera men and the sideline seats so damn close. Players today run and jump out of the gym. This is not the 70s anymore. With all the technology we have today, if we must have baseline camera angles, then put the damn cameras under the floor behind glass windows.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#16 » by Chris3323 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:57 pm

The main argument should be if Lebron, Melo, Durant, George or all the top players should have to actually try out for the team.
If they want to play, put them on the team then have practice games.

The downfall with the NBA is PG will still get his money this season for getting injured while not playing a Nba game. team loses money = nba loses money without him
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#17 » by Chris3323 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:59 pm

These games are pointless and meaningless

Olympics should be the only games the NBA Players should participate in (IF they want to)

they have nothing to prove. If they could beat Nba players they would be in the NBA not playing for peanuts over seas
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#18 » by mawbsta » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:21 pm

Keep pro athletes out of the olympics
jk31
Rookie
And1: 669

Post#19 » by jk31 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:14 pm

Chris3323 wrote:These games are pointless and meaningless

Olympics should be the only games the NBA Players should participate in (IF they want to)

they have nothing to prove. If they could beat Nba players they would be in the NBA not playing for peanuts over seas

For you they are pointless and meaningless. For nearly every people and players outside of the US these games ARE important! And you know that many NBA players are playing for their country?

mawbsta wrote:Keep pro athletes out of the olympics

Why? Because you want the olympics to get boring? It's a great honor for every sports player to represent their country in the olympics and in other events... Injuries can happen everywhere. Where's the difference if someone injures himself during NBA preseason games or during world cup preparation games...

Chris3323 wrote:The main argument should be if Lebron, Melo, Durant, George or all the top players should have to actually try out for the team.
If they want to play, put them on the team then have practice games.

Isn't that exactly the opposite of what USA basketball wants to do? Just put players together and let them play? You know what happened the last time, your country did this? I just say Indianapolis...
It is right that Team USA is built through competition for the roster spots and therefore EVERYONE has to earn their place on the team!
Dr Music
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#20 » by Dr Music » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:42 am

DrClutch wrote:Really? So its just International tournaments? Nothing with players participating in Drew league, Nike Tournaments,Streetball, sponsoring Brands out side country etc. all a joke over here after PG(franchise player, think league plans for them to win NBA title got shattered) gets injured

I agree 100% with you. In fact I posted almost what you said this morning and looks like it got removed

Return to Wiretap Discussion