Greg Monroe 'Definitely' Willing To Take Qualifying Offer

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Greg Monroe 'Definitely' Willing To Take Qualifying Offer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Greg Monroe is "definitely" willing to take the one-year qualifying offer worth $5.3 million next season with the Detroit Pistons in order to become an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

Monroe has disputed being offered a five-year, $60 million contract by the Pistons.

Monroe reportedly doesn’t have anything against the Pistons or new coach/president Stan Van Gundy. In fact, the source said, Monroe “likes Van Gundy and likes what he says,” but added that Monroe “needs proof (of Van Gundy’s vision).”

The Pistons have attempted to trade Josh Smith at various times in the offseason as he has been a bad fit in the frontcourt with Monroe and Andre Drummond.

Via Vincent Goodwill/Detroit News

jps78
Junior
And1: 183

Re: Greg Monroe 'Definitely' Willing To Take Qualifying Offe 

Post#2 » by jps78 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 pm

This could prob be the best road for him if he can't get a long term deal now from anyone. Since the cap will increase next year and teams with high bankrolls will have space such as the knicks; it makes it very easy to sign him to a long term contract if they strike out on guys (not saying the knicks will or should, it's just an example). The 5.3 cap hit makes him easily tradable though and who knows if he's able to fit in under Van Gundys system or another teams system in a contract year. That's the only risk I see, he puts up a bad year and he's saying goodbye to millions of dollars.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#3 » by LordBaldric » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Put up or shut up, Greg.
Skoolboy
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Skoolboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:42 pm

If Lebron taught us anything is that there is no price on controlling your own future.. if you are in a position to do so then do it
Why do the Yankees win every year? 'Cause they can't keep their eyes off the pinstripes
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,935

Post#5 » by jlokine » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:45 pm

jps78 wrote:This could prob be the best road for him if he can't get a long term deal now from anyone. Since the cap will increase next year and teams with high bankrolls will have space such as the knicks; it makes it very easy to sign him to a long term contract if they strike out on guys (not saying the knicks will or should, it's just an example). The 5.3 cap hit makes him easily tradable though and who knows if he's able to fit in under Van Gundys system or another teams system in a contract year. That's the only risk I see, he puts up a bad year and he's saying goodbye to millions of dollars.

or he gets a career ending injury and wont be offered another contract... not that i wish it upon him... just saying it's a risk..
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 204

Post#6 » by puja21 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:03 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Put up or shut up, Greg.

That's about the stupidest advice anyone could give him.

The best thing he can do right now is what he is already doing: continue waiting as the Oct 1st deadline approaches, even if he doesn't really intend to sign the qualifying offer, and continue posturing for leverage.

Whether he is chasing "perceived" or "actual" leverage in his negotiation doesn't matter at all because it doesn't change his options and it doesn't hurt him to wait.

13 guys have taken the qualifying offer in the past 10 years. It worked (financially at least) for Ben Gordon, so it's not unheard of. Even if it's not really about money, holding out longer still increases the chances (however small) that Detroit somehow moves JSmoove.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#7 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm

He should sign a 3 year deal to balance risk vs. long term payout. Green and Olynyk in a sign and trade.
Combs84
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#8 » by Combs84 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:He should sign a 3 year deal to balance risk vs. long term payout. Green and Olynyk in a sign and trade.

I'm a Pistons fan and have suggested that exact trade before and I would be extremely happy with it.
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#9 » by Whetzell » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:He should sign a 3 year deal to balance risk vs. long term payout. Green and Olynyk in a sign and trade.

I think they would bite on Green + Bass
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,831

Post#10 » by the_process » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:26 pm

PHX and DET should consider a straight Monroe for Bledsoe swap. Then DET can try and find a sucker to take Jennings, and Smoove won't be so redundant/annoying/useless if Monroe isn't in the way.
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by puja21 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Combs84 wrote:

I'm a Pistons fan and have suggested that exact trade before and I would be extremely happy with it.

i would love this trade as a celtics fan. most didn't love the 9M per deal 2 years ago, but now jeff green has the added detriment of taking development minutes from Young and even Smart (indirectly with lineup juggling).

i understand green as a better fit for detroit (and particularly because it virtually forces JSmoove to the 4)... but I assume pistons fans would prefer to move Smith of course (if that was possible) and have Monroe re-up for the offered amount?
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 146

Post#12 » by Rashidi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Green is overpaid and I doubt any other teams besides Boston view Olynyk as a valuable prospect. This is also a team that already has 15 guaranteed contracts not including Monroe.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#13 » by johnnyballgame » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 pm

puja21 wrote: Even if it's not really about money, holding out longer still increases the chances (however small) that Detroit somehow moves JSmoove.

You think other teams become more likely to trade for a guy the closer it gets to the season?
I'd say the less likely they trade him. The offers are going to get worse because the less the Pistons leverage would be. This is comparable to why the Wolves wanted to trade Love before the season started and not at the deadline. Their leverage decreases the longer they wait. So unless Detroit decides to move Smith just for the sake of moving him its probably not going to happen if it didn't already. They must not have liked what they were offered to this point.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#14 » by johnnyballgame » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Rashidi wrote:

Green is overpaid and I doubt any other teams besides Boston view Olynyk as a valuable prospect. This is also a team that already has 15 guaranteed contracts not including Monroe.

Guaranteed contracts are never an obstacle as long as there's a Philadelphia and a team has second round picks!
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,831

Post#15 » by the_process » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:46 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
Rashidi wrote:

Guaranteed contracts are never an obstacle as long as there's a Philadelphia and a team has second round picks!

That was true last year, now that the Sixers have a bench full of 2nd round picks they are only interested in significant salary dumps attached to significant assets. Otherwise they'll just stand pat.
brooklynoxy
Senior
And1: 121

Post#16 » by brooklynoxy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 am

oyoyer wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:
Rashidi wrote:

That was true last year, now that the Sixers have a bench full of 2nd round picks they are only interested in significant salary dumps attached to significant assets. Otherwise they'll just stand pat.

Greg Monroe took a risk, one which will allow him to control his own destiny, The upcoming free agent class has dwindled if you believe that Aldrich is about ready to sign a contract extension in Portland, Boston's issue with Rondo, and the fact that up until Greg's signing the Q.O., Marc Gasol was the only big man who would be on the market.

There will be a huge market for Greg, providing he plays up to his talent, Monroe is a superb big man, he is only 24, like Gasol, he knows how to pass, and, IMO, a change of scenery is all that is needed.

It just seems as though Monroe either cannot or doesn't want to play with Josh Smith.

It's too bad the stupid CBA doesn't permit teams that are over the salary cap to make sign and trade deals….
"You have to respect your coach. I know LeBron's a great player, but I think he stepped over the line." Walt "Clyde" Frazier
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by puja21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
puja21 wrote: Even if it's not really about money, holding out longer still increases the chances (however small) that Detroit somehow moves JSmoove.

You think other teams become more likely to trade for a guy the closer it gets to the season?

No I think he's calling their bluff to choose Smith or Drummond

He's apparently taking the QO anyway, so they missed their chance to choose regardless (if that was his motivation)
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#18 » by caronimo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:35 pm

if kevin love got wiggins, bennett and a 1st rounder what could munroe get?

Return to Wiretap Discussion