Tyler Ennis Sees Crowded Suns' Backcourt As 'Good Thing'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Tyler Ennis Sees Crowded Suns' Backcourt As 'Good Thing' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

The Phoenix Suns have a clear logjam at point guard with Goran Dragic, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Ennis and presumably an eventually re-signed Eric Bledsoe.

Ennis doesn't see the fight for minutes as a detriment to the development of his career. 

“I think, as a young guy, it’s a good thing,” Ennis said on Monday.

“You’re able to go in and learn from people, I think in the long run it’s definitely going to help me.”

Ennis spent just one season at Syrcause.

“Anywhere you go in the league, you’re going to compete for minutes,” said Ennis. “There are so many point guards, good point guards. It’s going to be good for me to learn from those guys.

“I think I bring a different dynamic than those guys do, being a pass-first guy, too. Me being able to score the ball as well as pass is something that’s a plus as well, I think.”

Via Doug Smith/Toronto Star

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Tyler Ennis Sees Crowded Suns' Backcourt As 'Good Thing' 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 pm

It will be interesting to see if the Suns offload some of these PGs for other assets, that is A LOT of point guards: all can be starters (minus Ennis)...
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#3 » by Flight33 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:08 pm

He's saying the right things, but I think secretly he's pretty annoyed he was 2 picks away from getting plenty back up minutes in Toronto.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#4 » by TONYROMOHOF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Its pretty obvious they were thinkin sign and trade with bledsoe

Otherwise hes gotta be an undersized two as gorans a better pg and hes gonna get starter money
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by TONYROMOHOF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 pm

TONYROMOHOF wrote:Its pretty obvious they were thinkin sign and trade with bledsoe

Otherwise hes gotta be an undersized two as gorans a better pg and hes gonna get starter money

And then theres thomas, i have no idea what theyre doing at all they have three starters at pg
thedarkstark
Analyst
And1: 1,224

Post#6 » by thedarkstark » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 pm

TONYROMOHOF wrote:
TONYROMOHOF wrote:Its pretty obvious they were thinkin sign and trade with bledsoe

And then theres thomas, i have no idea what theyre doing at all they have three starters at pg

Bledsoe will almost certainly be traded, or if he REALLY wants to be unrestricted he'll sign the QO and walk at the end of the year.

Eventually
Thomas will start at PG
Dragic will start at SG
Ennis will be backup.

Until they move Bledsoe it's definitely going to be a bit of a logjam. Having too many good players is never a bad problem to have, though.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by TONYROMOHOF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm

thedarkstark wrote:
TONYROMOHOF wrote:

Bledsoe will almost certainly be traded, or if he REALLY wants to be unrestricted he'll sign the QO and walk at the end of the year.

Eventually
Thomas will start at PG
Dragic will start at SG
Ennis will be backup.

Until they move Bledsoe it's definitely going to be a bit of a logjam. Having too many good players is never a bad problem to have, though.

I just dont get it, dragic is good at the point maybe itll work great i dont know
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#8 » by NashtyNas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:19 am

TONYROMOHOF wrote:

Thomas was brought in for the 6th man role, not as a starter.
On a good team, he shouldn't be a starter.
We hoped (and still do) to keep Bledsoe on an acceptable long term deal, and start Bledsoe/Dragic with Thomas off the bench.

I love Ennis considering he's from T-Dot, a pass first point guard (something I LOVE in my point's - I'm a Nash fan after all) and has good up side, but I just didn't understand the pick at the time, and I don't understand it now.

He's not ready to start from day 1, so if we lose Bledsoe, we've got 3 point guards, 2 of which can't play SG and ideally shouldn't be starting.

Bledsoe/Dragic worked because Bledsoe is an excellent defender and can guard some 2's at times to give Dragic a breather. Defensively, it would be a disaster to play Dragic with Thomas or Ennis. Forget shooting guards, those 2 guys can barely guard their own position..

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#9 » by Revived » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

Goran's a better SG, just like Ginobili is a better SG. Their both simiar players.

Bledsoe is PG, Dragic is SG and Thomas is 6th man. Ennis is insurance incase Bledsoe or Dragic leave next season or in case someone gets injured.

How is that hard to understand ?
AWillFan20
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#10 » by AWillFan20 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 pm

This kind of reminds me of Nash when he was a rookie.. already the Suns/Canadian connection but he had to play behind good 1-2 PG combos.

Got to PHX when they had KJ & Sam Cassel, then they trade Cassel for Kidd.
Some Of You Complain Too Much!
Doug Christie >>> MoPete
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#11 » by Chuck Newhouse » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Can a true point guard or a true centre even be a sixth man? Has one ever won the award?
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#12 » by IMAN5 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:48 pm

AWillFan20 wrote:This kind of reminds me of Nash when he was a rookie.. already the Suns/Canadian connection but he had to play behind good 1-2 PG combos.

Got to PHX when they had KJ & Sam Cassel, then they trade Cassel for Kidd.

I like that comparison actually, and it's very true. I followed the suns a lot back in the day and was sad to see Nash go. His whole career changed though playing for Dallas, and then he came back to where it all started and was one of the best point guards in the league.

It's sad we only seem to remember Nash of the last few years with the Lakers, I remember when he was the best point guard out there, two time MVP, run and gun style with the Suns, could make anyone score 10 points on his team by finding them.
instagram.com/510movement
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#13 » by RaptorRed » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Chuck Newhouse wrote:Can a true point guard or a true centre even be a sixth man? Has one ever won the award?

You can't play only one position of the bench and win the 6th man award , there just isn't enough minutes to build up the stats, especially at PG. That is why most 6th man award winners are combo guards or can play multiple forward positons. A guy like Jason Terry was a 'true' PG for many years but then became a combo guard and won 6th man.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#14 » by RaptorRed » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 pm

SF88 wrote:

Goran's a better SG, just like Ginobili is a better SG. Their both simiar players.

Bledsoe is PG, Dragic is SG and Thomas is 6th man. Ennis is insurance incase Bledsoe or Dragic leave next season or in case someone gets injured.

It's hard to understand why a team would need insurance at a very stacked position and use the 16th pick to get that insurance. The PG position is the most stacked position in the league, how hard is it to get a backup PG if you really need one ? Drafting Ennis makes no sense if you have Thomas as backup PG. Ennis has a lot of potential and can be an all-star in this league , it is sad to see a team ruin his career like this , he needs playing time to learn how to be a PG in the NBA , instead he will be in the D-league.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
Cancun Van Exel
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#15 » by Cancun Van Exel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:51 pm

SF88 wrote:
TONYROMOHOF wrote:
Bledsoe is PG, Dragic is SG .

You got this backwards. Neither is big enough to call a true SG but Bledsoe is strong enough to defend SG's and also if anyone is a true Pick n roll pg in the league its Dragic (not a SG by any stretch)
Tite like your dad's banana hammock
JFace907
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by JFace907 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:46 pm

I actually love the way the Suns roster is built. The traditional 2 guard position is lacking in the League with a gimpy Kobe representing the dying breed. A lot of 2 guards now are combo guards (Harden, Ellis, Manu, etc). Phoenix is going to run and gun and having 2 primary ball handlers on the floor at all times to slice up defenses and kick out to 3 point shooters is going to be fun to watch. Defense on the other hand...
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#17 » by Revived » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Chuck Newhouse wrote:Can a true point guard or a true centre even be a sixth man? Has one ever won the award?

You think Isaiah Thomas is a "true" PG?

Lol. True PG means Kidd, Nash, Rondo, CP3 etc. Thomas doesn't even have the playmaking ability of prime Jose Calderon.

Thomas isn't a true PG, he's a scoring PG. Similar to Leandro Barbosa when he won 6MOY.
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#18 » by Gannet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 pm

@articlesubject, in today's news, being fat and ugly is also a 'good thing.'
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#19 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:52 pm

SF88 wrote:

who says gorans better SG ?
dragic is 6'3. his height is perfect for pg.
ginobili is 6'6 and with his height, atleticism, long arms he's good in SG and sometimes sf.
dragic's primary position is pg. yes he can play combo guard. but he needs someone different.

dragic+i.thomas wont be good.
bledsoe is r.westbrook type "attacking hard" guard. with bledsoe dragic is good fit.
but with there other guards i dont think so.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#20 » by luss54321 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:21 am

JFace907 wrote:I actually love the way the Suns roster is built. The traditional 2 guard position is lacking in the League with a gimpy Kobe representing the dying breed. A lot of 2 guards now are combo guards (Harden, Ellis, Manu, etc). Phoenix is going to run and gun and having 2 primary ball handlers on the floor at all times to slice up defenses and kick out to 3 point shooters is going to be fun to watch. Defense on the other hand...

Harden and Manu are not combo guards. They almost never play PG.

1 point guard and 2 interchangeable wings is the most effective way to play.

2 point guards will be a huge problem defensively and won't work particularly well offensively either.

Return to Wiretap Discussion