Bledsoe's Free Agency Serving As Test Case For Reggie Jackson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bledsoe's Free Agency Serving As Test Case For Reggie Jackson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:10 am

Reggie Jackson is monitoring the contract situation of Eric Bledsoe, who remains a restricted free agent.

Jackson is eligible for a contract extension and could become a restricted free agent himself next summer if he is unable to agree upon a deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Jackson has made it clear that he desires a starting role, while also suggesting that he seeks the salary that comes along with that.

Bledsoe is the closest comparison to Jackson due to his development in the NBA backing up Chris Paul, while Jackson has backed up Russell Westbrook.

Via Darnell Mayberry/Oklahoman

Cancun Van Exel
Sophomore
And1: 41

Re: Bledsoe's Free Agency Serving As Test Case For Reggie Ja 

Post#2 » by Cancun Van Exel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:09 am

Is someone trying to say the two players are comparable? Bledsoe is worth WAY more than Reggie Jackson!
Tite like your dad's banana hammock
Truthnobias
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Truthnobias » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 am

Cancun Van Exel wrote:Is someone trying to say the two players are comparable? Bledsoe is worth WAY more than Reggie Jackson!

yeah... i'll take bledsoe over reggie jackson any day
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#4 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:36 am

Truthnobias wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:Is someone trying to say the two players are comparable? Bledsoe is worth WAY more than Reggie Jackson!

Well, wait till the end of the next season. I think Reggie has more offensive potential.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#5 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:03 am

Truthnobias wrote:

bledsoe's injuries is a question.
so i dont think bledsoe>r.jackson every day. maybe some days :D
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:13 am

Jackson can monitor this situation all he wants but he's not going to get offered a contract anywhere close to the $48 million that Bledsoe turned down. Closer to half that figure.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#7 » by LaRance » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:19 am

you know the Thunder would be more successful if they permanently moved Westbrook over to shooting guard and left Jackson as the starting point guard. it's not like Westbrook is a defensive liability at the 2. he's 6'4, fast, good on D and can shoot so why not.... i know it's because they want consistency off the bench but still
dynamicswami
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#8 » by dynamicswami » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:15 pm

LaRance wrote:you know the Thunder would be more successful if they permanently moved Westbrook over to shooting guard and left Jackson as the starting point guard. it's not like Westbrook is a defensive liability at the 2. he's 6'4, fast, good on D and can shoot so why not.... i know it's because they want consistency off the bench but still

They can already do that now. Well since they don't have a legit starting 2-guard now when they didn't sign Sefalosha. Unless Jeremy Lamb improves and Anthony Morrow surprisingly becomes a starter quality, then they don't have a choice but to start both Jackson and Westbrook. It's not really a bad thing because, the SPURS (in the FINALS) and the PHOENIX SUNS showed last season, you could win that way. Even the NETS did this when Livingston and Williams both started. Today's NBA needs two ball handlers who can both penetrate, create shots for himself and for others just to bend a stifling NBA defense. OKC should really do is to sit Kendrick Perkins and start Steven Adams (you don't even need to start him just don't play Kendrick Perkins.)
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Reggie Jackson is in the same category as Eric Bledsoe then I'm a young Brad Pitt.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#10 » by Cassius » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:27 pm

dynamicswami wrote:
LaRance wrote:you know the Thunder would be more successful if they permanently moved Westbrook over to shooting guard and left Jackson as the starting point guard. it's not like Westbrook is a defensive liability at the 2. he's 6'4, fast, good on D and can shoot so why not.... i know it's because they want consistency off the bench but still

They can already do that now. Well since they don't have a legit starting 2-guard now when they didn't sign Sefalosha. Unless Jeremy Lamb improves and Anthony Morrow surprisingly becomes a starter quality, then they don't have a choice but to start both Jackson and Westbrook. It's not really a bad thing because, the SPURS (in the FINALS) and the PHOENIX SUNS showed last season, you could win that way. Even the NETS did this when Livingston and Williams both started. Today's NBA needs two ball handlers who can both penetrate, create shots for himself and for others just to bend a stifling NBA defense. OKC should really do is to sit Kendrick Perkins and start Steven Adams (you don't even need to start him just don't play Kendrick Perkins.)

It's a little different with the Spurs because their second ballhandler was a 6'8" PF. The backcourt would be smallish and there would be zero consistent depth behind Jackson & Westbrook.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:37 pm

With the departure of thabo - reggie and his agent are probably pushing the okc front office and coaching staff for a starting role at pg while westbrook moves to the two guard - a position rusell was comfortable with in college and could excel at the nba level because of his ability to attack the rim, spread the floor for 3s and his defensive proneness on other wings. Another scenario okc might do is what they did with harden and trade jackson so they can get serviceable assets and move forward without mid-season disruptions. I think sam presti knows that if jackson goes to restricted free agency - some team with cap space will try to poach him with a contract okc can't match which may be a max deal. The best scenario in my opinion is that okc lets jackson excel as a starting pg than trade him (with his rfa rights - the team that acquire him can match any offer sheet he gets) in a package along with perkins large expiring deal to get a bundle of assets which include picks and other young players on rookie contracts or bargain deals.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#12 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:14 pm

"Bledsoe is the closest comparison to Jackson due to his development in the NBA backing up Chris Paul, while Jackson has backed up Russell Westbrook." :lol:

That just HAD to have been written by Jackson's agent.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#13 » by LApwnd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:18 pm

there's no way OKC and Jackson can come to terms, Jackson will want to start and want to get paid like he's a starter. OKC will want to pay him as a backup.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#14 » by malgus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Still can't get over how Reggie Jackson half-assed it during the skills challenge at the All Star Break lol.
Stylin_on_You
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#15 » by Stylin_on_You » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:Reggie Jackson is in the same category as Eric Bledsoe then I'm a young Brad Pitt.

No your not.

I can see the comparisons, he would be wise to watch carefully cause Jackson has made a good impact on OKC thus far and has proven he can start when needed. He might end up leaving OKC if he wants more money.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#16 » by Darko Miliminutes » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:00 pm

He's just as good as Bledsoe.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#17 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Why don't we just change the cap rules and give everyone a max contract? That would eliminate all the petty bickering about who deserves it more, the players could slack off and take it easy rather than have to work for it, and the coaches could be completely emasculated.

Sure, nosebleed tickets would start around $750 per seat, but these guys are professionals, and they're worth every nickel!
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#18 » by d-train » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:26 pm

The grand experiment is the Suns are using the CBA's substantially below market value QO and restricted FA as an argument for paying a player less money. The CBA says the Suns only have to pay Bledsoe $3.7M this season and Suns don't want to give up that discount with an extension paying full market value each year. The argument against what Suns are doing is Bledsoe could leave the team without compensation in UFA. But, Suns have advantages over other teams in UFA as well. So, maybe Suns are playing it smart and don’t need to be nice.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#19 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:"Bledsoe is the closest comparison to Jackson due to his development in the NBA backing up Chris Paul, while Jackson has backed up Russell Westbrook." :lol:

That just HAD to have been written by Jackson's agent.

Seriously.

Anyone who hasn't laughed at this hasn't spent any time watching them play. Reggie is not a competent PG. He can score from the 1 but he can't lead a team. He operates in the wake of KD and RWB. Bledsoe MAKES the wake. He is definitively the best defensive G in the NBA and is only 4 months older. Its. Just. Not. Close.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#20 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm

d-train wrote:The grand experiment is the Suns are using the CBA's substantially below market value QO and restricted FA as an argument for paying a player less money. The CBA says the Suns only have to pay Bledsoe $3.7M this season and Suns don't want to give up that discount with an extension paying full market value each year. The argument against what Suns are doing is Bledsoe could leave the team without compensation in UFA. But, Suns have advantages over other teams in UFA as well. So, maybe Suns are playing it smart and don’t need to be nice.

It is a fascinating experiment. I don't think I grasped what a players league this was until last year when the Wiz locked up Wall prematurely for 5 years, paying the supermax. The difference is striking. They want someone to give up a superstar to pay him more than they are willing to pay him? Seems obscene and I wonder if the Suns are risking significant damage to their rep with the players in taking the hard line.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.

Return to Wiretap Discussion