76ers Waive Pierre Jackson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Waive Pierre Jackson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:22 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers have waived Pierre Jackson.

Mark Deeks writes that Jackson will receive a guaranteed $400,00 from the 76ers for this season while he rehabs from an Achilles tear that occured during Summer League.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Re: 76ers Waive Pierre Jackson 

Post#2 » by Shem » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 pm

The poor guy can't catch a break! :(
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
tayottt
Junior
And1: 275

Post#3 » by tayottt » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Man that's cold. The guy worked his tail off in the d-league only to rupture his Achilles in summer league. Tough break. I hope his rehab goes well and he fights his way back into the NBA.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#4 » by A BETTER DJ » Wed Oct 1, 2014 12:32 am

That's roughly $8,000 a week with lots of free time. Tough break for the poor guy
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#5 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Oct 1, 2014 1:42 am

tayottt wrote:Man that's cold. The guy worked his tail off in the d-league only to rupture his Achilles in summer league. Tough break. I hope his rehab goes well and he fights his way back into the NBA.

Sixers cutting him isn't cold if that's what you're referring to. It was a kind gesture by them, while always their intention to waive him after he got injured, they instead signed him thus guaranteeing him $400k and built themselves some good will in the process. He's already said on twitter that he plans on being a Sixer next season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Pappyjackk/status/517065757373370368[/tweet]
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:38 am

The "poor guy" will make more than 97% of the rest of America.
BallDontLie_
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#7 » by BallDontLie_ » Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:52 am

moocow007 wrote:The "poor guy" will make more than 97% of the rest of America.

Exactly.

#PrayForPaulGeorge lol
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#8 » by Shem » Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:58 am

It's a shame that this guy has been really trying to make the NBA and all you can think of is the money he's making. Maybe if you weren't so envious, you would have more compassion.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#9 » by sca » Wed Oct 1, 2014 9:19 am

So what? 99.9998% of America isn't as good at playing basketball as him, so what's your point?
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,734

Post#10 » by smith2373 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:47 pm

sca wrote:

So what? 99.9998% of America isn't as good at playing basketball as him, so what's your point?

It's just another one of those "we can't feel bad for something that happens to a player because they're rich" posts we see so often on RealGM.

Pelicans trade for his rights on draft night but then refuse to sign him and in the process prevent him from playing in the NBA last season by holding onto his rights, then they finally trade him after the season, he gets his opportunity and gets injured and is out for the year. So yeah I'd say it does suck how his career has gone so far.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#11 » by The59Sound » Wed Oct 1, 2014 5:33 pm

smith2373 wrote:
sca wrote:

It's just another one of those "we can't feel bad for something that happens to a player because they're rich" posts we see so often on RealGM.

Pelicans trade for his rights on draft night but then refuse to sign him and in the process prevent him from playing in the NBA last season by holding onto his rights, then they finally trade him after the season, he gets his opportunity and gets injured and is out for the year. So yeah I'd say it does suck how his career has gone so far.

It's all relative. At what point is someone "allowed" to have problems?

1)"Yeah, it sucks he can't play basketball this year, but what about the middle class kid who's racking up student loan debt?"
2) "Yeah, it sucks he's racking up student loan debt, but at least he has a chance to go to college."
3) "Yeah, it sucks he can't go to school and get a good job, but at least he's not a single mom working three jobs and living in poverty."
4) "Yeah, it sucks being a single mom in poverty, but what about the families who are homeless and forced to live on the street?"
5) "Yeah, it sucks this American family is forced to live on the street, but what about the kids with malaria in Africa?"

And on and on. We absolutely have to keep perspective about the fact that these are young men given crazy money to play a game, just as each of us must be conscious of how much worse our lives could be and try to give less fortunate people a helping hand. But we all also have a right to feel bad when negative things happen to us.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Post#12 » by DrClutch » Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:10 pm

I wish i made that kind of money while rehabbing a Achilles... His rent is set for the next 25 years
JFace907
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by JFace907 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 7:43 pm

I've been following this story from the beginning and glad he gets the 400K. He's been dealt a lot of crap hands in his journey to make the NBA and it's good to see a positive come out of this chapter.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#14 » by TONYROMOHOF » Thu Oct 2, 2014 1:48 am

The59Sound wrote:
smith2373 wrote:
sca wrote:So what? 99.9998% of America isn't as good at playing basketball as him, so what's your point?

It's all relative. At what point is someone "allowed" to have problems?

1)"Yeah, it sucks he can't play basketball this year, but what about the middle class kid who's racking up student loan debt?"
2) "Yeah, it sucks he's racking up student loan debt, but at least he has a chance to go to college."
3) "Yeah, it sucks he can't go to school and get a good job, but at least he's not a single mom working three jobs and living in poverty."
4) "Yeah, it sucks being a single mom in poverty, but what about the families who are homeless and forced to live on the street?"
5) "Yeah, it sucks this American family is forced to live on the street, but what about the kids with malaria in Africa?"

And on and on. We absolutely have to keep perspective about the fact that these are young men given crazy money to play a game, just as each of us must be conscious of how much worse our lives could be and try to give less fortunate people a helping hand. But we all also have a right to feel bad when negative things happen to us.

I come here to discuss basketball not that other ****

Make a blog next time for your sad jealous tears
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#15 » by LieCheatSteal » Thu Oct 2, 2014 2:16 am

My question is does he still get to use the training facility to rehab?
Two years from being two years away.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#16 » by The59Sound » Thu Oct 2, 2014 3:17 am

TONYROMOHOF wrote:Make a blog next time for your sad jealous tears

Jealous tears? I was sympathizing with him. Considering how angry my post made you, it's amazing you didn't understand it.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 1:55 pm

Shem wrote:

It's a shame that this guy has been really trying to make the NBA and all you can think of is the money he's making. Maybe if you weren't so envious, you would have more compassion.

It's a shame that you fail to understand that I was replying to folks talking about him trying to make money. Try to think first a little more carefully before just jumping the gun and assuming.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 1:57 pm

sca wrote:

That he makes more than 97% of America? That was my point. Is it wrong? My response was to folks implying that he'll be poor...he won't. If you think he will be how about go volunteering at your local shelter (you'll see real poor). When was the last time you did that? I have...have you? Feel bad for those people (the real poor).

Also...what is your point?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:00 pm

1. He WILL make more than 97% of Americans. <-- this is actually a fact, not a random number I made up (check the US census).
2. Yes it is terrible what happened to him and I'm sure most folks will hope he can get things back on track. <-- do I really need to say that as well?
3. Saying that he will get paid a lot has nothing to do with hating the guy so relax the angst.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#20 » by sca » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:02 pm

moocow007 wrote:
sca wrote:

That he makes more than 97% of America? That was my point. Is it wrong? My response was to folks implying that he'll be poor...he won't. If you think he will be how about go volunteering at your local shelter (you'll see real poor). When was the last time you did that? I have...have you? Feel bad for those people (the real poor).

Also...what is your point?

Literally no one implied that he'll be poor. The "poor" in "poor guy" isn't used in a monetary context, you know? My point is you don't get to control who people feel sorry for.

Would you feel sorry for your middle class acquintance who got his wallet stolen? If you would, then why isn't it justified to feel sorry for a player who got injured and will lose a lots of money as a result? If you wouldn't, then... Sorry but I guess you're a sociopath.

If you have a problem with income equality, class wars etc. that's a whole different story.

edit: I see that you're looking at this from a purely monetary perspective. Any young guy who came close to playing in the NBA has probably dreamed of making it to the league for pretty much their entire life. Our perception of money is irrational. Context dictates what money means to us. That money means infinitely more to them than an average person with a lottery ticket, or a gambler on the roulette table (not to mention that it's more about fulfilling a life goal than winning money). I recommend you to read "Predictibly Irrational" by Dan Ariely, or watch some of his lectures on the topic.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks

Return to Wiretap Discussion