Popovich Fires Back At Sarver Apologizing To Phoenix Crowd For Spurs' Absent Players

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Popovich Fires Back At Sarver Apologizing To Phoenix Crowd For Spurs' Absent Players 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Gregg Popovich responded Saturday to Robert Sarver, who grabbed a mic late in Thursday’s exhibition game to apologize to the Phoenix Suns' home crowd after five San Antonio Spurs players missed the game.

“As I said, the silliness begins," Popovich said. "Most wise individuals would check facts before they made statements. Unless you’re interested in putting on a show. In that case, the facts get in your way, as in this case.

“We had five guys we didn’t send: Patty Mills had a shoulder operation. Tiago Splitter has been out the whole preseason. Kawhi Leonard was out and is still out for 10 more days. The other two, Duncan and Ginobili, are two of the oldest guys in the league who just came back from a 13-day European trip.

“The only thing that surprises me is that he didn’t say it in a chicken suit. I’ll just leave it at that.”

Via Dan McCarney/San Antonio Express-News

TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Re: Popovich Fires Back At Sarver Apologizing To Phoenix Cro 

Post#2 » by TheBallDoLie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:11 am

I'm pretty sure most of the Phoenix crowd was at the Phoenix PRESEASON game to watch the Phoenix players. I don't think many people go to a preseason game expecting to see the stars play a lot anyway. And if you do, well most times you will be disappointed.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:45 am

Perfect example of why the Spurs are the Spurs and the Suns are the Suns.......
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#4 » by Whetzell » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:49 am

CHICKEN SUIT i love you pop
kingstyyyle
Senior
And1: 179

Post#5 » by kingstyyyle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 am

imagump1313 wrote:Perfect example of why the Spurs are the Spurs and the Suns are the Suns.......

GFY buddy
real1g
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#6 » by real1g » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 am

classic pop. love it.
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#7 » by Whetzell » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 am

same picture almost
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#8 » by PrecociousNeoph » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:07 am

like a boss as usual
“Bye, Felicia.”
TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Post#9 » by TrueStoryGSW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 am

Lol
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#10 » by Thorn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am

Dude is my hero.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#11 » by Cycklops » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:01 pm

So what is Popovich's claim? Sarver said the fans didn't get what they were expecting. Explaining why you held out so many players doesn't change that.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#12 » by ChosunX » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Cycklops wrote:So what is Popovich's claim? Sarver said the fans didn't get what they were expecting. Explaining why you held out so many players doesn't change that.

It was preseason? What were they were expecting? SA is a well oiled machine, you might not see the usual starters at all.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#13 » by d-train » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Gregg Popovich wrote: As I said, the silliness begins, most wise individuals would check facts before they made statements. Unless you’re interested in putting on a show. In that case, the facts get in your way, as in this case.
We had five guys we didn’t send: Patty Mills had a shoulder operation. Tiago Splitter has been out the whole preseason. Kawhi Leonard was out and is still out for 10 more days. The other two, Duncan and Ginobili, are two of the oldest guys in the league who just came back from a 13-day European trip.
The only thing that surprises me is that he didn’t say it in a chicken suit. I’ll just leave it at that.

Yes, let's end the silliness and stop attempting to obscure the facts with nonsense.

Nobody cares about Patty Mills and Tiago Splitter. And, Leonard's absence is not an issue because he is out for a legitimate issue.

The problem is Duncan and Ginobili didn't play because they are resting. Phoenix fans paid _FULL PRICE_ to watch an NBA game. Everyone knows fans are paying to watch visiting NBA stars. Spurs and Popovich slighted Phoenix fans. The NBA should back Sarver and refund to Phoenix fans the amount of revenue collected by the Spurs from that game. Nobody should have to pay full price for a ticket when the product is deliberately devalued.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Pop is straight gangsta...........he chin checked that ass as he was suppose to. Sarver gotta be about the dumbest owner in the league. One fool has been sent packing, now it's time to roll this fool out too. Like Pop said check ya facts before you let your mouth write a check ya a** can't cash.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#15 » by Cycklops » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm

ChosunX wrote:
Cycklops wrote:So what is Popovich's claim? Sarver said the fans didn't get what they were expecting. Explaining why you held out so many players doesn't change that.

It was preseason? What were they were expecting? SA is a well oiled machine, you might not see the usual starters at all.

The fans in preseason games usually expect to see the starters for a limited time period.
DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Post#16 » by DrClutch » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Sometimes I believe the Owners dont have the intellect of how a Basketball team should be run along with the NBA front office (except mark Cuban & Peter Holt) Anyone can be a Starter in this league and a coach has the decision who he wants to play & bench to win. **** If I see Pop get Fined again for not playing Manu/Tony and Tim during the season... Everyone in that NBA front office should get a fine and ass beat since they know nothing about the fatigue players may face better than the coach & team doctors....**** this is preseason you put in players that will ride your bench , understanding the system and help out in crucial moments when called upon... Clear difference between a young Suns team and A Veteran role structured team like the Spurs who keep players without overpaying
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#17 » by IMAN5 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:12 pm

and this is why pops is a G.
instagram.com/510movement
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#18 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:46 pm

d-train wrote:Yes, let's end the silliness and stop attempting to obscure the facts with nonsense.

Nobody cares about Patty Mills and Tiago Splitter. And, Leonard's absence is not an issue because he is out for a legitimate issue.

The problem is Duncan and Ginobili didn't play because they are resting. Phoenix fans paid _FULL PRICE_ to watch an NBA game. Everyone knows fans are paying to watch visiting NBA stars.
And every fan who's ever bought a sporting event ticket has to already know you're buying it at your own discretion.

d-train wrote:Spurs and Popovich slighted Phoenix fans.
No he didn't, the Spurs had legit reasons to hold their players out.

d-train wrote: The NBA should back Sarver and refund to Phoenix fans the amount of revenue collected by the Spurs from that game. Nobody should have to pay full price for a ticket when the product is deliberately devalued.
No the NBA shouldn't back Saver, and there was nothing deliberate about what the Spurs did.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#19 » by Nowitness » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:59 pm

It's the preseason. All stars get their rest. I'm sure there was somebody that paid full price for tickets to the Mavs/Pacers game just to see Dirk, but he rested. Sarver didn't need to apologize, there's no guarantee that you're going to see a star player if you pay for preseason tickets.
Nowitnessing a legend
NUMBERICA
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#20 » by NUMBERICA » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:01 pm

The pre-season exists so coaches and teams can evaluate players, gather data, and fine tune strategies and lineups. I'm not surprised that Robert Sarver - the guy who sold off every chance he could at building a championship team - thinks the pre-season is about cash and ENTERTAINMENT.

Pop as usual calls a spade a **** spade. The Spurs are the class of the NBA, and this is just another example.

Return to Wiretap Discussion