Thunder Unlikely To Sign Extension With Reggie Jackson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Thunder Unlikely To Sign Extension With Reggie Jackson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 am

The Oklahoma City Thunder are unlikely to agree upon an extension with Reggie Jackson, which will allow him to become a restricted free agent in 2015.

The Thunder will have the right to match any offer Jackson receives from another club.

Oklahoma City agreed upon extensions with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Thabo Sefolosha, but were unable to with Jeff Green and James Harden. Green was traded at that season's deadline, while Harden was dealt before the extension deadline.

Via Darnell Mayberry/Oklahoman

AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Re: Thunder Unlikely To Sign Extension With Reggie Jackson 

Post#2 » by AI » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:02 am

Some team will overpay for him and the Thunder will once again lose another key player from their core.
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#3 » by MKG35 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 am

This team is so close to winning a title but they keep pushing themselves away from it.

They should have went all in to be honest with Harden and Ibaka. They can't mess this up.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#4 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:48 pm

they just dont get it...
they let harden for nothing. at least they should kept him one more playoff push that may cause to win title...

also if they would give harden that contract; after 2 years that contract would be a cheap one. nba income&ratings increase every year.
they let him go for nothing.

also they let another one too. jeff green. boy had talent. he just needs to play with thunder to make further steps in his careers but they trade him to celtics.
celtics expect him to be play like superstar from first day. then he got injuries etc. he's still decent but could be much more good player.
so thunder get perkins? for what? to defend bynum or sth?

their draft picks were good. chemistry is good.
but these trades from gm is just dumb moves. how to ruin a franchise.
i do expect KD to leave thunder at 2016 FA. if they lose r.jackson KD may want trade like k.love did next summer.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#5 » by Joest2003 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:52 pm

SG in a PG body and will never realize what he really is. Averaged 3 assists starting on a team with the best offensive player in the past 10 years while Russ was out last year. Have fun trying to run the offense on a lottery team Reg. Can't knock him for wanting to get all he can though we would all do the same at that age.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#6 » by GaaBaaBoo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Joest2003 wrote:SG in a PG body and will never realize what he really is. Averaged 3 assists starting on a team with the best offensive player in the past 10 years while Russ was out last year. Have fun trying to run the offense on a lottery team Reg. Can't knock him for wanting to get all he can though we would all do the same at that age.

Yes he sucks.

BTW, the "best offensive player in the past 10 years" is Tracy McGrady.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#7 » by Rashidi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:09 pm

AI wrote:Some team will overpay for him and the Thunder will once again lose another key player from their core.

Why this is an inaccurate statement

Exhibit A: Isaiah Thomas' contract.
Exhibit B: Darren Collison's contract
Exhibit C: Devin Harris' contract
Exhibit D: Nate Robinson's contract
Exhibit E: D.J. Augustin's contract

There is not a big market for backup PGs, especially the shoot-first variety. The league-wide PG depth means backups get UNDERpaid relative to ability & production.

Jackson might get some extra $$$ by virtue of his youth and Restricted status, but don't confuse him with Eric Bledsoe. He's not at the top of the list of guys to get paid that will include:
Goran Dragic, Rajon Rondo, Ricky Rubio, Patrick Beverley, Brandon Knight. He's Jeremy Lin tier which means he's looking at mid-level deals.

In the event that Jackson does leave, he plays the most replaceable position in the league.
Brandon Knight might be a better player/fit and will probably cost less.
Backups Jordan Farmar, Nate Robinson, Ramon Sessions, C.J. Watson all cost a cold TWO MILLION.
Fringe starters Jameer Nelson and Kirk Hinrich signed for 2.7M.
Aaron Brooks took the minimum.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:23 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:they just dont get it...
they let harden for nothing. at least they should kept him one more playoff push that may cause to win title...
also if they would give harden that contract; after 2 years that contract would be a cheap one. nba income&ratings increase every year. they let him go for nothing.

I know you're just trying to repeat this from someone else, but you seem confused about a few things.

First, they didn't let Harden go for nothing: they got picks and Kevin Martin. That didn't turn out to be a good trade--Martin was decent but not a long term solution, and the picks weren't as high as they'd hoped. But they did get Steven Adams out of one of the picks, and he'll probably be their starting center for the next 8 years.

Also, the salary cap will probably increase in another year or two, but Harden's contract began last year and the Thunder would have paid the tax last year, this year, and next year if they had signed him and kept KD, Westbrook, and Ibaka. They traded him largely to avoid that

ozwizard8 wrote: also they let another one too. jeff green. boy had talent. he just needs to play with thunder to make further steps in his careers but they trade him to celtics.

They would've had to pay Jeff Green $9-10m per year to keep him, and he's never shown he's more than an average player. He didn't fit well on the Thunder and keeping him would've been a gigantic error. Also, Perkins was universally regarded as a great defender and an improving post player when he was traded. He's been much worse on the Thunder than anyone could have predicted (Green's been worse on the Celtics too).

ozwizard8 wrote:their draft picks were good. chemistry is good. but these trades from gm is just dumb moves. how to ruin a franchise.

Steven Adams and J Lamb came from the Harden trade, those are two of the three picks that have been successful (Reggie Jackson being the other). Finally, the Thunder aren't 'ruined,' they're one of the top favorites for a title the next three years. They're in as good a shape as any team in the league. They should've kept Harden and figured out a way to make the money work, but they definitely should NOT have kept Green, and they've done some other good things to keep the team a contender. If KD leaves, it's probably because OKC is one of the least appealing places for a young black millionaire celebrity to play in, not because he doesn't have the talent to win a title around him. K Love didn't make the playoffs in his career, KD has made the Finals once and the conference finals two other times, and the team has won 70% of its games the last 4 years.
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#9 » by AI » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Rashidi wrote:Why this is an inaccurate statement

What part of my post is inaccurate? The part where I mention overpay? Because until he receives his extension, you're in no position to claim it's inaccurate. It's just my possible prediction, considering his great upside as a player and the recent overpays.

Rashidi wrote:Exhibit A: Isaiah Thomas' contract.

Reggie Jackson is better and has far more potential than any of those listed players. That's an inaccurate comparison.

Rashidi wrote:There is not a big market for backup PGs, especially the shoot-first variety. The league-wide PG depth means backups get UNDERpaid relative to ability & production.

Fair enough, but my reasoning for thinking he will be overpaid derives partly from his skill set and potential. He's better than 90% of the backup PGs in the league, and has shown flashes of brilliance when given adequate minutes. Currently, the only thing limiting him is simply not enough playing time. I fear that other GM's may overpay him because they are expecting his numbers to skyrocket once he lands on a new team and is given a starting role, similar to what happened with James Harden in Houston.

Rashidi wrote:Jackson might get some extra $$$ by virtue of his youth and Restricted status, but don't confuse him with Eric Bledsoe. He's not at the top of the list of guys to get paid that will include:
Goran Dragic, Rajon Rondo, Ricky Rubio, Patrick Beverley, Brandon Knight. He's Jeremy Lin tier which means he's looking at mid-level deals.

In my humble opinion, the only players better than Jackson in that list are Dragic, Rondo, and maybe Brandon Knight. Jackson is certainly above Jeremy Lin tier, which is why I am confident he will be overpaid. He's a "tweener" in the spectrum of PG tiers. He's better than the Jeremy Lin tier, but worse than the Rondo tier. How will you pay someone like that? Especially when they likely view themselves as better than the current tier they are truly in...

Rashidi wrote:In the event that Jackson does leave, he plays the most replaceable position in the league.
Backups Jordan Farmar, Nate Robinson, Ramon Sessions, C.J. Watson all cost a cold TWO MILLION.

I think OKC values Jackson because he has a great bond with the rest of the squad and it's hard to replicate that kind of chemistry with replacements. He understands the system, or lack thereof, and has a great rapport with the rest of his teammates and knows their strengths and weaknesses on the court. Replacing him won't be easy, especially now since he is playing as a de-facto sixth man. OKC's bench already isn't stellar as it is, losing Jackson will hurt. Again, I have an issue with these listed PGs because none of them are equal to or better than Jackson, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,625

Post#10 » by bisme37 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 pm

They would've had to pay Jeff Green $9-10m per year to keep him, and he's never shown he's more than an average player. He didn't fit well on the Thunder and keeping him would've been a gigantic error. Also, Perkins was universally regarded as a great defender and an improving post player when he was traded. He's been much worse on the Thunder than anyone could have predicted (Green's been worse on the Celtics too).

Last season was the first time Jeff Green was asked to be the first option on his team, and guess what, he led his team in scoring. How in the world does that make him "worse"? That's all I wanted to say about that. Carry on.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,625

Post#11 » by bisme37 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 pm

The beginning of my last comment was supposed to be a quote of HotelVitale last comment. My quote game is off today, haha, sorry.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#12 » by TONYROMOHOF » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:41 pm

AI wrote:
Rashidi wrote:Why this is an inaccurate statement

What part of my post is inaccurate? The part where I mention overpay? Because until he receives his extension, you're in no position to claim it's inaccurate. It's just my possible prediction, considering his great upside as a player and the recent overpays.

Rashidi wrote:Exhibit A: Isaiah Thomas' contract.

Reggie Jackson is better and has far more potential than any of those listed players. That's an inaccurate comparison.

Rashidi wrote:There is not a big market for backup PGs, especially the shoot-first variety. The league-wide PG depth means backups get UNDERpaid relative to ability & production.

Fair enough, but my reasoning for thinking he will be overpaid derives partly from his skill set and potential. He's better than 90% of the backup PGs in the league, and has shown flashes of brilliance when given adequate minutes. Currently, the only thing limiting him is simply not enough playing time. I fear that other GM's may overpay him because they are expecting his numbers to skyrocket once he lands on a new team and is given a starting role, similar to what happened with James Harden in Houston.

Rashidi wrote:Jackson might get some extra $$$ by virtue of his youth and Restricted status, but don't confuse him with Eric Bledsoe. He's not at the top of the list of guys to get paid that will include:

In my humble opinion, the only players better than Jackson in that list are Dragic, Rondo, and maybe Brandon Knight. Jackson is certainly above Jeremy Lin tier, which is why I am confident he will be overpaid. He's a "tweener" in the spectrum of PG tiers. He's better than the Jeremy Lin tier, but worse than the Rondo tier. How will you pay someone like that? Especially when they likely view themselves as better than the current tier they are truly in...

Rashidi wrote:In the event that Jackson does leave, he plays the most replaceable position in the league.

I think OKC values Jackson because he has a great bond with the rest of the squad and it's hard to replicate that kind of chemistry with replacements. He understands the system, or lack thereof, and has a great rapport with the rest of his teammates and knows their strengths and weaknesses on the court. Replacing him won't be easy, especially now since he is playing as a de-facto sixth man. OKC's bench already isn't stellar as it is, losing Jackson will hurt. Again, I have an issue with these listed PGs because none of them are equal to or better than Jackson, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

You rly underrate thomas and beverly
The reasons you think theyll keep reg are the reasons they shoulda kept harden too
Adams is bailing them out a little on that, but these are owners who blink when put up or shut up time comes
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#13 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:51 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:they just dont get it...
also if they would give harden that contract; after 2 years that contract would be a cheap one. nba income&ratings increase every year. they let him go for nothing.

I know you're just trying to repeat this from someone else, but you seem confused about a few things.

First, they didn't let Harden go for nothing: they got picks and Kevin Martin. That didn't turn out to be a good trade--Martin was decent but not a long term solution, and the picks weren't as high as they'd hoped. But they did get Steven Adams out of one of the picks, and he'll probably be their starting center for the next 8 years.

Also, the salary cap will probably increase in another year or two, but Harden's contract began last year and the Thunder would have paid the tax last year, this year, and next year if they had signed him and kept KD, Westbrook, and Ibaka. They traded him largely to avoid that

ozwizard8 wrote: also they let another one too. jeff green. boy had talent. he just needs to play with thunder to make further steps in his careers but they trade him to celtics.

ozwizard8 wrote:their draft picks were good. chemistry is good. but these trades from gm is just dumb moves. how to ruin a franchise.

Steven Adams and J Lamb came from the Harden trade, those are two of the three picks that have been successful (Reggie Jackson being the other). Finally, the Thunder aren't 'ruined,' they're one of the top favorites for a title the next three years. They're in as good a shape as any team in the league. They should've kept Harden and figured out a way to make the money work, but they definitely should NOT have kept Green, and they've done some other good things to keep the team a contender. If KD leaves, it's probably because OKC is one of the least appealing places for a young black millionaire celebrity to play in, not because he doesn't have the talent to win a title around him. K Love didn't make the playoffs in his career, KD has made the Finals once and the conference finals two other times, and the team has won 70% of its games the last 4 years.

i didnt reador heard this by anyone. this is not repeating.
i personally dont like k.love's basketball much. i give his example in this case.
KD is superstar. i think he has best talent in the league.
but he got finals with harden&westbrook and ibaka. i'm pretty sure harden and westbrook is hard to find stars for KD.

getting perkins wasnt wise move.
you talk like Presti writing things in your way but thats not true at all.
i dont think they should trade green away. but if its the case why did they get this perkins contract? he is useless. he just creates spacing issues on offense for almost every perimeter players and KD.
with his contract Presti did wrong move. then he wants to avoid luxury tax but sended harden for nothing.

k.martin couldnt be even 6th man for contending team. no defense chucker.
also if he were played good he would demand a good contract and thunder wouldnt want to get in lux tax for him.
also picks werent good. they catch adams but he's not that much talent.

j.harden is special. he's probably best sg in the league. 2 years ago he was in top 5 and he was best prospect too.
k.love traded for 2013+2014 Draft NO:1 . i'm pretty sure harden's value was much higher than expiring k.martin+20th pick.

perkins trade was bad. green had a value that time; there would be teams to want him exchange for expiring+late1st pick
presti want to clear the mass and do wrong move again. harden trade was fiasco.

okc isnt the best place for a billionare thats for sure.
but if presti kept ibaka-westbrook-harden-durant. durant wouldnt want to move cause you cant find any better team than this.
even wb-harden-ibaka without durant would make nba finals in some point. they just pass that natural contender. wasted dynasty opportunity.

r.jackson would get contract from somewhere else and if that happens; with s.brooks dummy tactics a bad year would lead durant to exit.

Return to Wiretap Discussion