Rudy Gay Agrees To Three-Year, $40M Extension With Kings

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rudy Gay Agrees To Three-Year, $40M Extension With Kings 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Rudy Gay has agreed to a three-year, $40 million contract extension with the Sacramento Kings, according to sources.

The extension begins with the 2015-16 season, and includes a player option for the the 2017-18 season.

Gay has one year left on his current deal, which will pay him $19.3 million.

For the Kings, the re-signing of Gay is an important statement on the franchise's ability to get high-level players to decide to stay with the organization.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: Rudy Gay Agrees To Three-Year, $40M Extension With Kings 

Post#2 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:34 pm

That's a good deal for them given the ridiculous contracts some of the other SFs have been signing.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#3 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 pm

That's a steal for the Kings.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#4 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:44 pm

good deal considering the other deals small forwards got.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#5 » by RaptorRed » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:53 pm

That escalated quickly... 10 good games and bam.. 40 Million to a questionable player.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#6 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Taking into consideration how the market is going and how FA's are being paid, it's a good deal. He's been playing really well with Sacramento since the trade last year.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#7 » by Rated T By CBRA » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Good to see Rudy get some love, it was tough getting abandoned in Memphis and getting dumped by Toronto. Let's hope he and Cousins can bring the Kings back to relevancy.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#8 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:04 pm

I think in today's market, Gay could still have easily gotten that contract even just on his Toronto play.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#9 » by PZiv » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:17 pm

the hell that is cheap! Guess its a loyalty discount.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#10 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:23 pm

now on with this contract rudy gay is an asset!
he's 28. and this contract ties his best years 29-31.

lebron/durant/melo has both strength,size,height,shooting abilities. these 3 can play sf/pf position.
if there's 3rd one to defend these 3, and compete on offense it is r.gay.
he's good player. if he were in SPURS organization he would be better than leonard. anyway he increases his efficiency. his D is good. he can defend/rebound. also for opponent hard matchup. 40m/3 years is BARGAIN.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#11 » by codydaze » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:34 pm

RaptorRed wrote:That escalated quickly... 10 good games and bam.. 40 Million to a questionable player.

lol
RaptorRed
Rookie

Post#12 » by RaptorRed » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:now on with this contract rudy gay is an asset!
he's 28. and this contract ties his best years 29-31.

lebron/durant/melo has both strength,size,height,shooting abilities. these 3 can play sf/pf position.
if there's 3rd one to defend these 3, and compete on offense it is r.gay.
he's good player. if he were in SPURS organization he would be better than leonard. anyway he increases his efficiency. his D is good. he can defend/rebound. also for opponent hard matchup. 40m/3 years is BARGAIN.

Reading your post makes my head hurt, please learn the English language.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#13 » by Damon_3388 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Back to cruise mode "empty 20" for Gay then, now that he's locked up another big deal?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#14 » by Fresh360Waves » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:14 pm

RaptorRed wrote:That escalated quickly... 10 good games and bam.. 40 Million to a questionable player.

Questionable player? I think Rudy has proven himself. Obviously not elite, but the free agent market for wings this upcoming summer is thin so SAC had no choice but to lock him up or else he would have signed with another team for more money.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#15 » by codydaze » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:20 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:Back to cruise mode "empty 20" for Gay then, now that he's locked up another big deal?

That could be the case, but with the player option in the third year, as a Kings fan, I'd like to think he keeps playing the way he has been in hopes he can get another good extension at 30/31. He's got to know that if he plays inefficient ball in this contract he will get significantly less in his final, post-prime contracts.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#16 » by dballislife » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:33 pm

gay took less IMO...thats a great vet move so his team can add better players
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
RaptorRed
Rookie

Post#17 » by RaptorRed » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:

Questionable player? I think Rudy has proven himself. Obviously not elite, but the free agent market for wings this upcoming summer is thin so SAC had no choice but to lock him up or else he would have signed with another team for more money.

Proven himself as what ? All you said was he is not elite , what is he exactly ? Average ? Above average ? He has never made an all-star team and he is making 19 mil this year . 2 teams that have gotten ridden of him have significantly improved. I think calling him questionable is fair , he hasn't even proven he is valuable to a team aside from 10 games this year. The grizzlies enjoyed the most success with Gay not playing - addition by subtraction. The Raptors seasons did a 360 as soon as he left. So it really remains to be seen if he can even be a good player on a good team. I mean Josh Smith has also proven himself in this league , but I think Pistons fans wouldn't want the guy to be on the team for free with all the trouble he has caused.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#18 » by Fresh360Waves » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:24 am

RaptorRed wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:

Proven himself as what ? All you said was he is not elite , what is he exactly ? Average ? Above average ? He has never made an all-star team and he is making 19 mil this year . 2 teams that have gotten ridden of him have significantly improved. I think calling him questionable is fair , he hasn't even proven he is valuable to a team aside from 10 games this year. The grizzlies enjoyed the most success with Gay not playing - addition by subtraction. The Raptors seasons did a 360 as soon as he left. So it really remains to be seen if he can even be a good player on a good team. I mean Josh Smith has also proven himself in this league , but I think Pistons fans wouldn't want the guy to be on the team for free with all the trouble he has caused.

Proven himself as an above average wing. Like I said, the Kings had no choice but to lock him up or else Rudy dips to another team for a bigger payday. They also want to stop becoming a lottery team year in and year out and begin to build a winning culture. Rudy wasn't a good fit for the Grizzlies system because the Grizzlies like playing in the half court w/ Z-Bo and Marc. Rudy isn't a knock down shooter so Memphis didn't wanna pay him so they traded him. In TOR, I don't know what happened. I guess it wasn't a good fit as well. Now in SAC, he's finally found a home. And I don't really think Josh Smith has proven himself. In ATL, he was able to play his style of basketball; taking advantage of his athleticism and doing highlight reel dunks every gm (and also the fact he was playing in his hometown) while now in DET they have other guys that need the ball in their hands and the fact DET is making him play SF when he should really be playing PF.
DangerCurtis
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#19 » by DangerCurtis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 am

Not a fan of the player, but I think it's a good move on behalf of the Kings. Says a lot about the new ownership and the direction that they are heading.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#20 » by ADoaN17 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:02 am

He put up similar stats with the Kings last season...

Return to Wiretap Discussion