Steve Kerr Compares Warriors' Two-Way Balance To 01-02 Kings

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Steve Kerr Compares Warriors' Two-Way Balance To 01-02 Kings 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 5, 2014 6:34 pm

The Golden State Warriors rank first in defensive efficiency and fifth on offense to start the season.

"Really…talented…players," Steve Kerr told USA TODAY Sports when asked to explain their start. "Really, that's what it comes down to. This team was top-five in defense last year; obviously we have a lot of skill on offense, so the focus is to get a little better on offense and maintain on defense. That's what has happened."

Kerr cites the 01-02 Sacramento Kings that featured Chris Webber, Mike Bibby and Vlade Divac as a team that plays on both ends of the floor in a way that's similar to the Warriors.

"I know it is rare," Kerr said of this kind of two-way proficiency. "(But) the (Warriors) roster is great defensively, because you've got Bogs (Bogut) protecting the rim and then you've got a bunch of versatile wing defenders, so we switch a lot. And switching is difficult to deal with, because it disrupts the point of each play where you're trying to get an advantage with a screen, and when you switch teams tend to stop moving the ball and the shot clock starts to wind down. And the fact that we've got Harrison (Barnes) and Andre (Iguodala) and Klay (Thompson) and Draymond (Green) – numerous guys who can guard multiple positions, it makes it a lot easier."

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

ClashCityRocker
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Re: Steve Kerr Compares Warriors' Two-Way Balance To 01-02 K 

Post#2 » by ClashCityRocker » Sat Dec 6, 2014 12:47 am

Good so now he can look forward to his team being completely robbed of an NBA title run.

Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#3 » by Ganji » Sat Dec 6, 2014 1:43 am

ClashCityRocker wrote:Good so now he can look forward to his team being completely robbed of an NBA title run.

refs have been really brutal on us so far... so would not surprise me. Kerr has few techs for yelling at reds already.
defmut
Senior
And1: 24

Post#4 » by defmut » Sat Dec 6, 2014 1:48 am

Fault of a rookie coach is spilling the beans for the other team's chilli.
"I don't want to be in a box." –Gar
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#5 » by 10acious » Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:31 am

Refresh my memory please; how many Finals appearances did those great Sacramento Kings teams make and how many rings did they win?
DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Post#6 » by DrClutch » Sat Dec 6, 2014 3:24 am

Nope sir you did not just compare your team to the greatest show on court whom got robbed! I loved watching the ball movement from C webb , vlad, bibby(but j will was better) peja had some moves with the beautiful jumpers and doug getting into fights .... there wont ever be a team with players like that who came out to play something they love has a team and entertain the fans
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#7 » by Rashidi » Sat Dec 6, 2014 3:53 am

10acious wrote:Refresh my memory please; how many Finals appearances did those great Sacramento Kings teams make and how many rings did they win?

WCF > NBA Finals in the early 00s
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#8 » by Boomerfan » Sat Dec 6, 2014 4:24 am

DrClutch wrote:Nope sir you did not just compare your team to the greatest show on court whom got robbed! I loved watching the ball movement from C webb , vlad, bibby(but j will was better) peja had some moves with the beautiful jumpers and doug getting into fights .... there wont ever be a team with players like that who came out to play something they love has a team and entertain the fans

You must not have watched a single Warriors game this year. The Dubs play exactly that way... as much about entertainment and having fun as winning.
GSWBlooded93
Junior
And1: 88

Post#9 » by GSWBlooded93 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 9:18 am

DrClutch wrote:Nope sir you did not just compare your team to the greatest show on court whom got robbed! I loved watching the ball movement from C webb , vlad, bibby(but j will was better) peja had some moves with the beautiful jumpers and doug getting into fights .... there wont ever be a team with players like that who came out to play something they love has a team and entertain the fans

Urmm... Sounds like you just described the current Warriors roster rofl. I'll let you know for a fact that this team loves the game, they love each other, and they respect how great the fans are and often praise Warriors fans, they definitely put on a show for us because they know how much support we give them. This team definitely has chemistry with one another, looking at Instagram and etc., you can see how well they get along!

I'M IN LOVE WITH THE COCO!!!
ClashCityRocker
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Post#10 » by ClashCityRocker » Sat Dec 6, 2014 2:43 pm

10acious wrote:Refresh my memory please; how many Finals appearances did those great Sacramento Kings teams make and how many rings did they win?

One less than they should have
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#11 » by EvanZ » Sat Dec 6, 2014 3:32 pm

Should he be comparing the Warriors to the Bulls of the 90's? AFAICT, the Warriors haven't won anything (yet) either.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BobbySura
Bench Warmer
And1: 333

Post#12 » by BobbySura » Sat Dec 6, 2014 5:26 pm

And you refresh mine, where's the unstoppable team like the Kobe/Shaq Lakers to stop the Warriors currently?
The only reason they didn't get to the finals last year was Bogut's injury. They could have beaten the Spurs.
hound101
Junior
And1: 256

Post#13 » by hound101 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 6:07 pm

BobbySura wrote:

And you refresh mine, where's the unstoppable team like the Kobe/Shaq Lakers to stop the Warriors currently?
The only reason they didn't get to the finals last year was Bogut's injury. They could have beaten the Spurs.

Don't say that. You and I and everyone else know that's not true.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#14 » by cedric76 » Sat Dec 6, 2014 6:14 pm

ClashCityRocker wrote:

One less than they should have

+1

But most kids on this board can't know that
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
BobbySura
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by BobbySura » Sat Dec 6, 2014 7:54 pm

hound101 wrote:
BobbySura wrote:

Don't say that. You and I and everyone else know that's not true.

I didn't say would, I said could. And they could.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#16 » by Flash Falcon X » Sun Dec 7, 2014 6:33 am

You do not make any comprehendible sense whatsoever.

Seriously. What is your point that you are trying to express with that attempt of a post?

Are you trying to sound smart or something? Are you trying to amaze us with some type of mind-blowing wit in that head of yours?

Steve Kerr isn't talking about whether or not the Warriors can make the Finals. He's just simply saying that they're good at both ends of the courts and it reminds him of the Kings.

That's it. No more no less. You're trying to think too much.

In no point in that quote did he say that the Warriors would perform better or worse than that specific Sacramento team.

It's like saying a certain pizza flavor reminds someone of a certain pasta flavor. It's just a comparison, yet you're here saying, "BUT DID THAT PASTA HAVE AN ACCOMPLISHMENT?!".

Hey man, that movie reminds me of this movie. OH BUT DID THAT MOVIE WIN AN OSCAR?!!

Hey bro, that girl reminds me of an old friend. OH BUT DID YOUR OLD FRIEND WIN THE OLD FRIEND OF THE YEAR AWARD?

Hey cuz, this soda reminds me of a soda I loved when I was a kid. OH BUT DID THAT SODA WIN THE SODA FLAVOR CHAMPIONSHIP? IS THAT SODA BETTER THAN COKE OR PEPSI? WILL THAT SODA REPLACE MY LOVE FOR MILK? WILL THAT SODA CREATE IT'S OWN SODA STORE AND SELL MORE THAN STARBUCKS? EXPLAIN IT TO ME. REFRESH MY MEMORY; HOW MANY SODA ACCOMPLISHMENTS DID THAT SODA ACCUMULATE? DON'T EVER COMPARE YOUR SODA TO THAT SODA, ESPECIALLY WHEN THAT SODA HAS NO CREDIBILITY DUE TO A LACK OF PERFORMANCE AWARDS.
#DubNation
streetp0et
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#17 » by streetp0et » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:08 pm

Why does that even matter? Would it be better for Golden State to fit square pegs in to round holes by forcing their roster to play the triangle so they could compare to the Chicago Bulls team and satisfy your question?
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#18 » by magicmerl » Mon Dec 8, 2014 9:25 pm

BobbySura wrote:

To be fair, what are the odds that a Bogut injury will stop them in this years playoffs?
BobbySura
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by BobbySura » Tue Dec 9, 2014 1:03 am

magicmerl wrote:
BobbySura wrote:

To be fair, what are the odds that a Bogut injury will stop them in this years playoffs?

high. They need him to beat teams like the Spurs/Grizzlies in 7 games.

Return to Wiretap Discussion