Silver Respects Players' T-Shirt Protest, Prefers Players To Abide By Attire Rules

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Silver Respects Players' T-Shirt Protest, Prefers Players To Abide By Attire Rules 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 9, 2014 12:38 am

The NBA will not fine Derrick Rose and other players for their "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts.

Rose wore the shirt on Saturday pregame to protest a Staten Island grand jury's decision not to indict a police officer in the death of Eric Garner.

"I respect Derrick Rose and all of our players for voicing their personal views on important issues but my preference would be for players to abide by our on-court attire rules."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Re: Silver Respects Players' T-Shirt Protest, Prefers Player 

Post#2 » by gom » Tue Dec 9, 2014 2:36 am

Silver ought to don one of the shirts himself. That would make a point.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Dec 9, 2014 4:53 am

It's a slippery slope. Silver probably doesn't want to fine him and probably couldn't without turning this into a league wide issue. Yet inaction opens the door for the next time a player breaks the dress code for something that they believe in. Next thing you know a player warms up in a shirt with a dog firing a machine gun on it and when asked why he says, "I believe them kittens got to go!"

My take:
Great shirt by Rose
Good no call by Silver
Yes, them kittens got to go!
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#4 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Dec 9, 2014 5:03 am

Donald Sterling aftermath - if it wasn't for that incident last season they may have been fined.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Dec 9, 2014 6:15 am

Point taken, RTbCBRA.

I personally feel that Silver's style is a refreshing bit of compassionate, measured administration. He is dangerously close to being viewed as too passive, but he has handled a minefield of disasters with grace and leadership. GO ADAM!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#6 » by TheBallDoLie » Tue Dec 9, 2014 7:06 am

What? What? A person in power using discretion and not just saying rules are rules and must be followed... I almost don't believe it.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#7 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Dec 9, 2014 5:26 pm

play nice pretty much? How about a fine ? Only way they will. You give them a inch the players will take a mile very soon Sliver.
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#8 » by WTFsunsFTW » Tue Dec 9, 2014 6:20 pm

Silver should fine him for violating whatever dress code they have, but do so in a press conference wearing the same shirt.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#9 » by SichtingLives » Tue Dec 9, 2014 7:29 pm

It's a sensitive issue that goes far beyond the incident itself. Silver is no idiot and picked his words well. He's such an improvement over crotchety asshat Stern in the human relations department.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,935

Post#10 » by F N 11 » Tue Dec 9, 2014 10:04 pm

WTFsunsFTW wrote:Silver should fine him for violating whatever dress code they have, but do so in a press conference wearing the same shirt.

clever but will never happen in this day and age
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#11 » by wizkid27 » Tue Dec 9, 2014 10:19 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:It's a slippery slope. Silver probably doesn't want to fine him and probably couldn't without turning this into a league wide issue. Yet inaction opens the door for the next time a player breaks the dress code for something that they believe in. Next thing you know a player warms up in a shirt with a dog firing a machine gun on it and when asked why he says, "I believe them kittens got to go!"

My take:
Great shirt by Rose
Good no call by Silver
Yes, them kittens got to go!

+1 for the slippery slope point... I agree that it seems cold and heartless to fine somebody for this, but that level of discretion puts the league in a place where it is choosing which causes do and don't deserve a free pass on skirting the rules. If a player felt strongly about gay marriage and wore a shirt due to some incident, would the league let that slide? If a player felt strongly in the other direction and wore a shirt supporting "traditional marriage" would the league also let that slide? I am not trying to say that either side of that issue is the same, better than, or as important as this cause... but if the league is now in a position to excuse the lack of following the dress code based upon the public opinion of the cause in question it could get ugly.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#12 » by ChosunX » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:41 am

Ballerhogger wrote:play nice pretty much? How about a fine ? Only way they will. You give them a inch the players will take a mile very soon Sliver.

Do away with the dress code unless someone is wearing a swastika shirt the league should not egt involved, also ban the Red Star.
Cavs1017
Banned User
And1: 503

Post#13 » by Cavs1017 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:50 pm

ChosunX wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:play nice pretty much? How about a fine ? Only way they will. You give them a inch the players will take a mile very soon Sliver.

Do away with the dress code unless someone is wearing a swastika shirt the league should not egt involved, also ban the Red Star.

Agreed, I hate Red Star Belgrade.

seriously though, I think the dress code is ridiculous anyway, the league went crazy over AI but look at Westbrook's dress code & that's alright? As long as they are wearing jerseys on the court while playing, why should we care?
Cavs1017
Banned User
And1: 503

Post#14 » by Cavs1017 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 pm

WTFsunsFTW wrote:Silver should fine him for violating whatever dress code they have, but do so in a press conference wearing the same shirt.

fine them & donate the money to anti police brutality organization such as http://www.cuapb.org

Return to Wiretap Discussion