Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 72,786
And1: 196
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Alex Poythress will miss the remainder of the 14-15 season for Kentucky with a torn ACL.


Poythress suffered the injury during Thursday's practice.


"When you're coaching other people's children and these children have high aspirations and unlimited potential -- not only to do things for themselves but for other people -- I can't begin to tell you the feeling when someone gets hurt," coach John Calipari said in a release. "My own son, Brad, tore his ACL last year. All I can tell you is I was physically sick when it happened to him. I feel exactly the same way now that it's happened to Alex."


 


Pursuing a title was a key motivation for Poythress to return for a third season with the Wildcats after last spring's NCAA title-game loss to Connecticut. 

Via ESPN

Hector_Reyes_8
Pro Prospect
Posts: 957
And1: 1,331
Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Location: USA

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#2 » by Hector_Reyes_8 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:29 pm

I hate when college players get career-threatening injuries like this. I hope he's compensated well, drafted or not.
On Harden being MVP of this season ( I don't even like Harden much)

Kawhi M8 wrote:He will be the biggest joke of an MVP to ever win.
Ever.
Absolute spud of a bloke and **** traits as a player, basically tarnish the MVP forever
DaddyCool19
Analyst
Posts: 3,749
And1: 4,002
Joined: Jul 28, 2013

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#3 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Hector_Reyes_8 wrote:I hate when college players get career-threatening injuries like this. I hope he's compensated well, drafted or not.


He was a late 1st round pick on most mocks after his Freshman year. Should have declared back then.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
Posts: 3,417
And1: 4,149
Joined: Jul 02, 2013

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#4 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:37 pm

He'll still make the NBA after his senior season.
God Squad
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,269
And1: 1,611
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#5 » by God Squad » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:24 am

He was once a lottery pick. This is why you declare. Especially at a school like Kentucky.
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#6 » by Damon_3388 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:34 am

Kaioken wrote:He was a late 1st round pick on most mocks after his Freshman year. Should have declared back then.


God Squad wrote:He was once a lottery pick. This is why you declare. Especially at a school like Kentucky.


He'd be in a better position financially, and you obviously try and capitalise while your own stock is highest, but would he actually have turned out better as a basketballer if he'd left school early? I mean, he's only averaging 5 points and 4 rebounds in 20 minutes per game this season, and appears to have gone backwards and regressed from where he was a couple of years ago. Given his development (or lack thereof) at Kentucky, I don't think (likely) sitting on the bench in the NBA would have done him many favours from a basketball perspective. He wasn't ready back then, and he certainly isn't ready now.

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:He'll still make the NBA after his senior season.


Will need a massive Senior year to establish himself as a genuine NBA prospect. He needed it before this injury anyway, but this sets him back and makes it even harder.

I really hope he doesn't do the silly, desperate thing by declaring and chasing the money, because he won't get drafted, and will end up just bouncing around the minor leagues and Europe.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,651
And1: 18,789
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:09 am

This is why D1 recruits at major programs deserve to be paid. Could be Dasean butler all over again. Will be very sad if he never has a real career in the NBA after this.
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#8 » by Damon_3388 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:43 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:This is why D1 recruits at major programs deserve to be paid. Could be Dasean butler all over again. Will be very sad if he never has a real career in the NBA after this.


So you're on an athletic scholarship, and you're being given an education, board, and a great platform for potential employers to see you in action, however you're not playing the sport you've been recruited for (while injured) and you're not working, but you still "deserve to be paid"? Ok then...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,651
And1: 18,789
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#9 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:26 am

Damon_3388 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:This is why D1 recruits at major programs deserve to be paid. Could be Dasean butler all over again. Will be very sad if he never has a real career in the NBA after this.


So you're on an athletic scholarship, and you're being given an education, board, and a great platform for potential employers to see you in action, however you're not playing the sport you've been recruited for (while injured) and you're not working, but you still "deserve to be paid"? Ok then...


...give me a break. These colleges make absurd amounts of money off top recruits and the athletes don't see a dime. If you're a legit NBA prospect coming out of HS, and ESPECIALLY if you go to kentucky, that free education doesn't matter. You're there to go to the NBA eventually, as poythress clearly was. Now instead he may never recover fully from his ACL, and who knows what happens from there.
HangTime
Veteran
Posts: 2,982
And1: 2,289
Joined: Oct 18, 2011

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#10 » by HangTime » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:12 am

As student athletes, these guys are expected to keep up their grades, while going all out with practice, travel, games.

----

College sports should be considered entertainment only.

Players should be hired as "school employee" out of High school. 1 Year + 1 Year Player Option + 2 individual qualifying team offers. They get a cut of the profit when merchandise is sold, etc.

Players don't have to go to class, because they aren't students, they are welcome to attended classes, but grades don't hinder eligibility.





Anyone else agree? College Athletes should be part of an "entertainment department" of the school.
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Alex Poythress Out For Season With Torn ACL 

Post#11 » by Damon_3388 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:...give me a break. These colleges make absurd amounts of money off top recruits and the athletes don't see a dime. If you're a legit NBA prospect coming out of HS, and ESPECIALLY if you go to kentucky, that free education doesn't matter. You're there to go to the NBA eventually, as poythress clearly was. Now instead he may never recover fully from his ACL, and who knows what happens from there.


Who goes to university expecting to make money from it? It's to prepare for a career. Turn pro or get out in the workforce if you want to make a salary. Just because scholarship holders don't value the free education and board they're getting, doesn't mean it doesn't have value. They're being given the opportunities and tools to succeed in life. I'd rather have that than jewelry, cars, jerseys and shoes (which seems to be the main things anyone gets bought for them or spends money on in NCAA or high school basketball scandals, and probably the main thing most 19-20 year old basketball players would spend their money on if they were getting paid to go to college).
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Return to Wiretap Discussion