Kings, Nets Discussing Deron Williams Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kings, Nets Discussing Deron Williams Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:48 pm

The Sacramento Kings and Brooklyn Nets are discussing a deal centered on Deron Williams.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Re: Kings, Nets Discussing Deron Williams Trade 

Post#2 » by pylb » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:08 am

Might not be a bad deal for the Kings.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#3 » by Leto » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:39 am

Including Plumlee is probably a deal killer.
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#4 » by SacTownKings4Life » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09 am

I REALLY don't wanna give up Collison. How bout Sessions & Stauskas instead?
Just
Image Image
B Cuz
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#5 » by PZiv » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:12 am

Derrick - nice expiring
Thomson - nice defensive big
Collison - great 6th man and can be nice starter

for

Deron's salbatross.
And possibly Plumlee.
Its a nice deal. Esp from Nets side.
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#6 » by CraZyPraiZ » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:44 am

SacTownKings4Life wrote:I REALLY don't wanna give up Collison. How bout Sessions & Stauskas instead?

I agree. Is he even an upgrade over Collison. Williams hasn't been the same for a while now. At one time I would have tabbed him over Paul. Boy would that have been foolish.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,723

Post#7 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:23 am

SacTownKings4Life wrote:I REALLY don't wanna give up Collison. How bout Sessions & Stauskas instead?

I think it would be too soon to give up on Nik as I think he'd be good competition for McLemore and could be a good sixth man off the bench. Kings have the leverage here as the Nets are looking to find ways to shed salary off the 2017 cap space.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,745

Post#8 » by the_process » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:45 am

Never mind to that, BKN wants to treadmill so they don't give away lotto picks.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#9 » by malgus » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:32 am

oyoyer wrote:Never mind to that, BKN wants to treadmill so they don't give away lotto picks.

They've already given all their picks to Danny Ainge
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#10 » by SacTownKings4Life » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:56 am

slicedbread2 wrote:

I think it would be too soon to give up on Nik as I think he'd be good competition for McLemore and could be a good sixth man off the bench. Kings have the leverage here as the Nets are looking to find ways to shed salary off the 2017 cap space.

I offered Nick because I figured we could always play McCallum as the backup 2. Cause he sure wouldn't get no ticks at the point behind Williams and Collison.
Just
Image Image
B Cuz
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#11 » by Cicero » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Thank you Ranadive for providing basketball entertainment for the foreseen future. Someone has to be the tarded foreign owner now that the ruble has collapsed and the Nets are blowing it up.

My condolences, Kings fans.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#12 » by RickB-Orlando » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:47 pm

So, it's now a "partnership?"

Isn't that taking it a little far? I thought these guys were under contract to play for their employers, the teams, who can trade them as necessary to improve the team (or in the Nets case, to end the pain I suppose).
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#13 » by arasu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 am

This deal makes little sense for both teams. Collison is a mercurial PG who seems to be following a pattern of an up season followed by a down season. And even in this up season his numbers are very similar to Deron Williams' numbers. He probably wouldn't make the Nets much better unless he would emerge as a star like Kyle Lowry did after going to the Raptors. He is already 27 years old, so that seems unlikely to happen. Derrick Williams has nearly zero trade value, and Jason Thompson's trade value is probably negative considering his contract and production. Value-wise it would be a Deron for Darren trade, with the other guys as contract filler, which basically leaves the Nets right where they've been, a decent team in a bad conference. Deron Williams has been injured and/or out of shape for most of the past five seasons, and he's already 30 y/o. Unless he has a late career resurgence like Steve Nash did at that age, I don't see him taking the Kings anywhere except the bottom of the division.
arasu
Rookie

Post#14 » by arasu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 am

slicedbread2 wrote:

Even with Williams on the books, the Nets should have $50+ million in cap space for the 16-17 season. They should be looking for a younger PG to trade for than Collison, and definitely should not dump Williams just for cap space 2 years down the line. It's not like he's Gerald Wallace.
arasu
Rookie

Post#15 » by arasu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:50 am

PZiv wrote:Derrick - nice expiring
Thomson - nice defensive big
Collison - great 6th man and can be nice starter

for

Deron's salbatross.
And possibly Plumlee.
Its a nice deal. Esp from Nets side.

It's not a good deal for the Nets, mediocre at best. If Plumlee is included, it becomes a bad deal for them.

Derrick = one of many expiring deals in a market saturated with them

Thompson = just another overpaid defensive big

Your Collison description is perfect.

With the cap going up over the next few years, most of the big contracts people have been harping on as terrible simply won't look as bad. Teams will be able to afford multiple max deal players easily under the current CBA. The salary albatross thing won't mean much two seasons from now. If Deron can stay productive, there is no reason to dump him for salary reasons.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,723

Post#16 » by slicedbread2 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 am

arasu wrote:
slicedbread2 wrote:

Even with Williams on the books, the Nets should have $50+ million in cap space for the 16-17 season. They should be looking for a younger PG to trade for than Collison, and definitely should not dump Williams just for cap space 2 years down the line. It's not like he's Gerald Wallace.

Well from Brooklyn's perspective, they are trying to shed as much salary as possible in order to entice getting two impact or more and I think they don't want to end up having D-Will's ankles fall apart again and then they end up with an unmovable deal although the new TV deal will make his deal look super light and more moveable by the end of his deal although the 15% trade kicker is probably why the Kings are asking for Plumlee which the Nets definitely will not deal.

Plus the other thing you have to consider is the fact that D-Will has a fractured relationship with the Nets and it was mentioned in numerous articles about how he wasn't a big-city type of guy and I think the Nets will be willing to trade him as soon as they can find a partner and with Vivek willing to experiment with anything, I think they'd be willing to do so. Just remember you have a crazy GM in Billy King and an even crazier owner in Vivek Ranadive.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:50 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:So, it's now a "partnership?"

Isn't that taking it a little far? I thought these guys were under contract to play for their employers, the teams, who can trade them as necessary to improve the team (or in the Nets case, to end the pain I suppose).

That's exactly why Jerry Sloan quit. Star players these days often see themselves as equal to or above the coaches. (See Melo or Williams.) It's not like Williams is playing at an all-star level and they want to trade him because their mad at him. He's not living up to his contract and they rightfully want to dump him.

Williams is averaging 15/3/7 and shooting 40% while getting paid 20M.
Darren Collison is averaging 15/3/6 and shooting 43% while getting paid 5M.

I'd take Collison (and the 15 mil to upgrade other positions) over Williams any day!
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#18 » by Sam195 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:06 am

Wow Utah committed robbery with that Deron Williams trade in 2011 - the picks they ultimately got back in that deal turned out to be Enes Kanter and Trey Burke. They also gave up Derrick Favors who has potential to become a superstar and 3 million in cash. Devin Harris' expiring contract was also thrown in the deal to make it work financially. Now the nets are going to sell Deron Williams for less than they acquired him for. A back-up point guard in collision, a back-up big man in thompson and the expiring contract of Derrick Williams. lol. This trade is right up their with the robbery Bosotn pulled with Brooklyn for a washed up KG and a 1 season rental of pierce. Joe Johnson trade was awful as well and a coup for Atlanta getting under his albatross deal. How is Billy King still employed in the nba?
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#19 » by mawbsta » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:36 am

Sam195 wrote:Wow Utah committed robbery with that Deron Williams trade in 2011 - the picks they ultimately got back in that deal turned out to be Enes Kanter and Trey Burke. They also gave up Derrick Favors who has potential to become a superstar and 3 million in cash. Devin Harris' expiring contract was also thrown in the deal to make it work financially. Now the nets are going to sell Deron Williams for less than they acquired him for. A back-up point guard in collision, a back-up big man in thompson and the expiring contract of Derrick Williams. lol. This trade is right up their with the robbery Bosotn pulled with Brooklyn for a washed up KG and a 1 season rental of pierce. Joe Johnson trade was awful as well and a coup for Atlanta getting under his albatross deal. How is Billy King still employed in the nba?

Robbery, really? If you want the definition of "robbery" its the Vince Carter trade from Toronto. LOLOL

The Utah trade they gave up a 20-10 monster and the playoffs when they traded D-Will for what was at the time described as scraps and picks. It was two teams heading in different directions. With the departure of Sloan, Utah was no longer "win-now" and traded for the future evidenced by them making the playoffs 4/5 seasons with Deron, and now soon to be 1 of 5 without him. The Nets on the other hand, were trying to win and picked up a franchise level point guard - at the time it was lauded as an obvious win for Nets, and while the young core you speak of has started to develop, none of the 3 you mentioned has proven anything in the league and on an 8-20 Utah team, how can you call any trade "robbery" without the dividends paying off?

As for any future Dwill trade, he's 30 now and 11 years in the league. EVERY player depreciates with tenure. That's not robbery, that's called diminished value and nobody is giving up a king's ransom for a 30 year old point guard. They certainly aren't going to give up Mclemore or Cousins, the only two players with any superstar potential on the Kings.

Return to Wiretap Discussion