Pistons Waive Josh Smith

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pistons Waive Josh Smith 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 pm

The Detroit Pistons have waived Josh Smith.

Smith is owed $26 million over the next two seasons.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Pistons Waive Josh Smith 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Wow, it was that hard to trade him for picks and/or some players?
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#3 » by Furinkazan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:Wow, it was that hard to trade him for picks and/or some players?

thats todays nba for you

you keep players hoping they can be ASSETS yet all GMS seem to know what you are doing and they know u will eventually release a player they are interested in :D
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#4 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Interesting how SVG resulted to releasing J Smoove, this will really shake things up in the NBA this week. I wonder where he signs? Will he accept a lessened role? (LOL, right) Or is he still seeking big minutes and all the shots? Career decision time for Josh Smith. Meanwhile things are looking up for Greg Monroe, who I'm sure until just now was 100% sold on leaving Detroit. Consider it a trade-off.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Dallas, to replace Brandan Wright and play with his buddy Rondo seems like obvious choice.

I'm sure the Kings and Suns will be interested as well.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#6 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Did not see this coming. I still do not understand waiving Smith, with the risk of Monroe walking at the end of the season.
Credits to Jstock12
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#7 » by kurtis48239 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Holy ****,my dreams have come true.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Wow, it was that hard to trade him for picks and/or some players?

thats todays nba for you

you keep players hoping they can be ASSETS yet all GMS seem to know what you are doing and they know u will eventually release a player they are interested in :D

If players like Joe Johnson with an even bigger contract or Gerald Wallace can be moved I have a bit of a hard time believing you couldn't have turned Smith in to something tangible or freed up that money. Rudy Gay had as bad a rep as Smith does and got rehabbed.

Maybe it would COST you a 2nd rounder or 2 but I have to believe you could have got a team like Sacramento to give him a try and give you some lesser expiring contracts or something from another team, or at least someone like Philly to eat his contract if you gave them a couple 2nd rounders. Now you'll have to eat big money for several years and have little hope to improve your team. When he is played at PF I don't think his contract is even that horrible. It's not good but someone could have used him.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
czar
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#9 » by czar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Stan Van Gundy is indeed looking like Ron Jeremy. He's definitely showing big balls. :lol:
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#10 » by Furinkazan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:38 pm

12footrim wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:

thats todays nba for you

If players like Joe Johnson with an even bigger contract or Gerald Wallace can be moved I have a bit of a hard time believing you couldn't have turned Smith in to something tangible or freed up that money. Rudy Gay had as bad a rep as Smith does and got rehabbed.

Maybe it would COST you a 2nd rounder or 2 but I have to believe you could have got a team like Sacramento to give him a try and give you some lesser expiring contracts or something from another team, or at least someone like Philly to eat his contract if you gave them a couple 2nd rounders. Now you'll have to eat big money for several years and have little hope to improve your team. When he is played at PF I don't think his contract is even that horrible. It's not good but someone could have used him.

Yea I know but somehow it isnt happening :D
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#11 » by 10acious » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Is Brandon Jennings next?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#12 » by God Squad » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 pm

I don't care how much a headcase Jsmoove is. Detroit took a L on this move.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
12footrim wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:
thats todays nba for you

Because it's stupid. Now they have to play almost 6 million a year for the next 5 years just to get rid of him and cripple their franchise.

I'd have traded 3 or 4 second rounders if it took that much to the 76's if they would have ate the contract for me the next 2 years and used that 6 million to get a good player. The 76's love 2nd rounders, aren't winning in the next 2 years anyway, and need some stiff contracts just to meet league contract minimums especially when J Rich goes off the books.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Post#14 » by NBADraft2003 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Shocking, it really is. I expected him to be traded but it never crossed my mind for them to waive him.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:14 pm

What happened to this guy? three years ago he was arguably Atlanta's best player.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#16 » by pylb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Congrats Pistons fans.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:20 pm

More likely the Piston's didn't want to give up draft picks and young player in order to convince some team to take him off their hands.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ncruzpr
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#18 » by ncruzpr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:22 pm

I am sure that SVG did this because he had no other option. IMO< this is also about keeping Monroe/Drummond even if they take a hit to the salary cap for years to come. For the record, with the cap increasing so much in the next two years, this shouldn't keep them from building a solid team. If they keep Monroe, it's a good move.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#19 » by Agnostifarian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:27 pm

12footrim wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Because it's stupid. Now they have to play almost 6 million a year for the next 5 years just to get rid of him and cripple their franchise.

I'd have traded 3 or 4 second rounders if it took that much to the 76's if they would have ate the contract for me the next 2 years and used that 6 million to get a good player. The 76's love 2nd rounders, aren't winning in the next 2 years anyway, and need some stiff contracts just to meet league contract minimums especially when J Rich goes off the books.

You can't fool a Tank Commander like Sam Hinkie with a Josh Smith Trojan Horse!!! GTFOH
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
12footrim wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:

You can't fool a Tank Commander like Sam Hinkie with a Josh Smith Trojan Horse!!! GTFOH

Philly isn't going to win the next few years anyway and they have to have a minimum level of salary which will get more difficult with Richardson's 6 million or whatever comes off anyway. I think they are actually having to pay their players more already since they are only at 39 million in salary and you got to be like 50 something. You could just send Smith home like Richardson if you really wanted and keep him away from your franchise.

They took Granger's crappy contract for a 2nd rounder last year I think then cut him. Why not let them do that and just give them 2 or 3, 2nd rounders. I think they would do it especially with it looking like top 35 or 40 picks which is what they got KJ McDaniels at. I just have a hard time believing he's worth nothing tangible to anyone in the NBA or you couldn't make his contract basically disappear if you included a little incentive.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion