76ers View Nerlens Noel As Center

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers View Nerlens Noel As Center 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:42 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers have experimented at times this season with playing Nerlens Noel at power forward, but Brett Brown believes center is his better position.

“I think right now, it’s a five,” Brown said. “I feel that we’re going to have to do the right thing by him and grow his game, which will allow him to better play alongside Joel Embiid.”

Noel missed all of the 13-14 season after tearing his ACL at Kentucky.

“If you ask him, he would say, ‘I’m K.G. [Kevin Garnett] or Amar’e [Stoudemire] and not Tyson Chandler,’ and over the course of time of time I think that we do have to grow his game where he can shoot a 17-, 18-foot shot,” Brown said of Noel. “That’s a ways away, but I think that is in him.”

Via Keith Pompey/Philadelphia Inquirer

BigLos2010
Junior
And1: 126

Re: 76ers View Nerlens Noel As Center 

Post#2 » by BigLos2010 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 6:07 pm

Primary position, schmimary position. Can he chase stretch fours out to the perimeter? If he can, then he should work great next to Embiid. If not, then the Sixers have to deal one of them.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#3 » by mawbsta » Fri Jan 2, 2015 6:49 pm

"I think that we do have to grow his game where he can shoot a 17-18-foot shot"

that's just sad. A Professional baller who lacks a basic fundamental shot...

he thinks he's KG? LAWL
Right now he's Chris Andersen
BklynKnick
Freshman
And1: 72

Post#4 » by BklynKnick » Fri Jan 2, 2015 7:32 pm

mawbsta wrote:"I think that we do have to grow his game where he can shoot a 17-18-foot shot"

he thinks he's KG? LAWL

I don't think it's that "sad." He only played one year of college ball, and after missing all of last year with a leg injury, this is just his rookie year. No player comes into the league fully formed, and having an extended perimeter jumpshot has never been traditionally required of centers and power forwards, so it's not surprising that this skill was never taught or emphasized during his formative years.

KG wasn't known for having a great jumpshot when he came into the league straight out of high school, and was really just a super-athletic freak of nature with good defensive instincts and quickness. Yet in his first few years in the league, Minnesota played KG at the small forward position (where you really need a reliable perimeter jumpshot) because he was so raw, and needed time to grow into his body and develop his basketball skills. STAT also came into the league straight out of high school with crazy athleticism, but wasn't heavy on fundamental basketball skills. He didn't even develop a reliable perimeter jumpshot until 4 or 5 years into the NBA, after he had that first major knee injury with the Suns where he missed almost an entire season (the second of Nash's MVP seasons).

Noel has all of three months of real-NBA experience. Give him time.
KingKellz
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#5 » by KingKellz » Fri Jan 2, 2015 7:45 pm

BklynKnick wrote:
mawbsta wrote:"I think that we do have to grow his game where he can shoot a 17-18-foot shot"

he thinks he's KG? LAWL

I don't think it's that "sad." He only played one year of college ball, and after missing all of last year with a leg injury, this is just his rookie year. No player comes into the league fully formed, and having an extended perimeter jumpshot has never been traditionally required of centers and power forwards, so it's not surprising that this skill was never taught or emphasized during his formative years.

KG wasn't known for having a great jumpshot when he came into the league straight out of high school, and was really just a super-athletic freak of nature with good defensive instincts and quickness. Yet in his first few years in the league, Minnesota played KG at the small forward position (where you really need a reliable perimeter jumpshot) because he was so raw, and needed time to grow into his body and develop his basketball skills. STAT also came into the league straight out of high school with crazy athleticism, but wasn't heavy on fundamental basketball skills. He didn't even develop a reliable perimeter jumpshot until 4 or 5 years into the NBA, after he had that first major knee injury with the Suns where he missed almost an entire season (the second of Nash's MVP seasons).

LOL!!!! Did you just mention KG and this bum in the same discussion? Mentioning 12 year old KG to this stiff is laughable :lol:
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#6 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 2, 2015 8:41 pm

KingKellz wrote:
BklynKnick wrote:

he thinks he's KG? LAWL

LOL!!!! Did you just mention KG and this bum in the same discussion? Mentioning 12 year old KG to this stiff is laughable :lol:

Learn to read whole paragraphs.

Noel will NEVER be KG..but EVEN HOF Talent like KG needed a few years to develop. Noel is 3 months in the NBA. Give him some time before writing him off.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
KingKellz
Sophomore

Post#7 » by KingKellz » Fri Jan 2, 2015 8:55 pm

Mik317 wrote:
KingKellz wrote:
BklynKnick wrote:

Learn to read whole paragraphs.

Noel will NEVER be KG..but EVEN HOF Talent like KG needed a few years to develop. Noel is 3 months in the NBA. Give him some time before writing him off.

I READ IT and I never made mockery of Noel being THE NEXT KG....

Noel was MENTIONED in the SAME PARAGRAPH AS KG! That in itself is absurd! :lol: :lol: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#8 » by Lapinski » Fri Jan 2, 2015 9:33 pm

Defensively Noel has sucked playing against other centers who usually have pretty good games against him. He gives up good games to Aaron Baynes and the NJ Plumlee and other centers.

Defensively Noel has the quickness to play out on the perimeter except he has the habit of leaving his hands by his side instead of contesting jump shots.

Skill wise he is closer to Caldwell Jones and Harvey Catchings than KG or any other competent PF/C. It really is sad how inept he is offensively.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#9 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Jan 2, 2015 10:15 pm

KingKellz wrote:LOL!!!! Did you just mention KG and this bum in the same discussion? Mentioning 12 year old KG to this stiff is laughable :lol:

Assuming this is a troll account considering you just made it yesterday and given your forthright hardheadedness.

Noel has been stellar on defense, on pace to be the only other rookie alongside of David Robinson to top 7.0R/1.5A/1.5S/1.4B per game. Also, Noel ranks sixth in the league in rim protection, allowing 46.2 FG%, context, if this were last season that would have put him between Noah and Bogut.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
KingKellz
Sophomore

Post#10 » by KingKellz » Fri Jan 2, 2015 10:36 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
KingKellz wrote:LOL!!!! Did you just mention KG and this bum in the same discussion? Mentioning 12 year old KG to this stiff is laughable :lol:

Assuming this is a troll account considering you just made it yesterday and given your forthright hardheadedness.

Noel has been stellar on defense, on pace to be the only other rookie alongside of David Robinson to top 7.0R/1.5A/1.5S/1.4B per game. Also, Noel ranks sixth in the league in rim protection, allowing 46.2 FG%, context, if this were last season that would have put him between Noah and Bogut.

Dude...only a stat nerd would come up with some of the most irrelevant stats like that ....
So this stat that only you that spent 18 hours to find out...THEN tossing in names like Noah....AND the great Andrew Bogut validates that Noel isn't the second coming of Erving Johnson (former Sonic/Bucks center), a stiff? Yeah ok...David Robinson part 2...Look out NBA!
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Jan 2, 2015 10:44 pm

KingKellz wrote:Dude...only a stat nerd would come up with some of the most irrelevant stats like that ....
So this stat that only you that spent 18 hours to find out...THEN tossing in names like Noah....AND the great Andrew Bogut validates that Noel isn't the second coming of Erving Johnson (former Sonic/Bucks center), a stiff? Yeah ok...David Robinson part 2...Look out NBA!

Well they're not irrelevant, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals are the most fundamental stats one can 'come up with'... Also, it's sort of vital for a Center to, you know, protect the paint, so allowing such a low fg% in that area is impressive. Who that puts him between doesn't change the fact that he's sixth best in the league in defending the paint this season with a fairly respectable sample size. I didn't compare him to David Robinson, only that his skill set with such limited experience is a rarity and the fact that Robinson is the only other player to put up such stats attests to that...
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
KingKellz
Sophomore

Post#12 » by KingKellz » Fri Jan 2, 2015 11:19 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
KingKellz wrote:Dude...only a stat nerd would come up with some of the most irrelevant stats like that ....

Well they're not irrelevant, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals are the most fundamental stats one can 'come up with'... Also, it's sort of vital for a Center to, you know, protect the paint, so allowing such a low fg% in that area is impressive. Who that puts him between doesn't change the fact that he's sixth best in the league in defending the paint this season with a fairly respectable sample size. I didn't compare him to David Robinson, only that his skill set with such limited experience is a rarity and the fact that Robinson is the only other player to put up such stats attests to that...

You're still trying desperately to justify him not being a stiff.....But hey...I'm sure I can dig up some of the most irrelevant stats on present and past players like Darko, Sacre,Shawn Bradley etc..to justify those players not being stiffs....Whatever makes you happy I guess (shrugs)
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Jan 2, 2015 11:34 pm

KingKellz wrote:You're still trying desperately to justify him not being a stiff.....But hey...I'm sure I can dig up some of the most irrelevant stats on present and past players like Darko, Sacre,Shawn Bradley etc..to justify those players not being stiffs....Whatever makes you happy I guess (shrugs)

If you're going to make an account specifically for trolling than do it better, lol. Haveagoodday!
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#14 » by wickedwrister » Sat Jan 3, 2015 12:25 am

BigLos2010 wrote:Primary position, schmimary position. Can he chase stretch fours out to the perimeter? If he can, then he should work great next to Embiid. If not, then the Sixers have to deal one of them.

He can easily guard stretch 4s. Hell I've seen him do a decent job when he is switched on to a PG from time to time. PG's tend to push him to his limits but he can keep up with most wing players on switches so there is no concern in regards to his ability to take on stretch 4s. I think the bigger question is their fit offensively and whether they can properly space together on that end.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
KingKellz
Sophomore

Post#15 » by KingKellz » Sat Jan 3, 2015 12:41 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
KingKellz wrote:You're still trying desperately to justify him not being a stiff.....But hey...I'm sure I can dig up some of the most irrelevant stats on present and past players like Darko, Sacre,Shawn Bradley etc..to justify those players not being stiffs....Whatever makes you happy I guess (shrugs)

If you're going to make an account specifically for trolling than do it better, lol. Haveagoodday!

No..I'm not trolling...I haven't been disrespectful towards you..maybe some passive sarcasm. ..But I'm slightly upset at myself for having this continuous debate about Kwame Brown Part 2 lol...I'm done...Good day as well :)
CEOSports
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#16 » by CEOSports » Sat Jan 3, 2015 12:44 am

I don't even waste my time reading the rest of the opinions of people who have no idea about development and actual NBA talent. BklynKnick is on the money. No Nerlens isn't KG, but before he was hurt in college he was the frontrunner for the #1 pick. We won't know what he is until the end of his 1st contract. The jewelry is still out on Noel. He hasn't even played with talent yet.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#17 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Jan 3, 2015 2:16 am

In other words, he doesn't have the skills to be a 4. And who cares what Brett Brown says? This guy was a bad coach in Australia let alone the US lol.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#18 » by 83SixersRocked » Sat Jan 3, 2015 2:50 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:In other words, he doesn't have the skills to be a 4. And who cares what Brett Brown says? This guy was a bad coach in Australia let alone the US lol.

And you have so much more credibility.
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#19 » by Damon_3388 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:20 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:In other words, he doesn't have the skills to be a 4. And who cares what Brett Brown says? This guy was a bad coach in Australia let alone the US lol.

Pretty sure Brown was a championship-winning coach in Australia, and has served as a development coach and assistant under some great coaches and in great programs.

I think long-term Noel is a 4. I don't think he can bulk up to be a full-time 5 without it being detrimental to his natural athleticism.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#20 » by 83SixersRocked » Sat Jan 3, 2015 2:59 pm

You want all stretch 5s? It's common for a big man to not have a jump shot. But you know that (I hope).

Return to Wiretap Discussion