Larry Sanders Suspended At Least 10 Games For Drug Vioation

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Larry Sanders Suspended At Least 10 Games For Drug Vioation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Larry Sanders has been suspended at least 10 games by the NBA for a violation of the anti-drug program.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Re: Larry Sanders Suspended At Least 10 Games For Drug Vioation 

Post#2 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:37 pm

The Lamar Odom Syndrome, but very early in his career.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,005

Post#3 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The Lamar Odom Syndrome, but very early in his career.

hopefully not. mental illness is a terrible thing.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#4 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:59 pm

They say marijuana doesn't cause physical addiction, but some dudes absolutely do get mentally hooked on the stuff to the point they are dependent and just can't function anymore. I would say Sanders is well into the process of flushing a promising career and maybe $100 million down the drain if I hadn't have been one of those crying "contract year!" about the big push that got him his terrible contract in the first place.
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#5 » by smeagolheart » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Having a little trouble controlling yourself there Larry since you are surrounded by yes men and are fabulously wealthy?
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#6 » by thinktellectual » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Another giant waste of potential.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#7 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Can't put down the spliff...unfortunate, I'd think playing basketball for a living would take precedence over the "puffing the magic dragon" hobby.

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever." - Lorenzo, A Bronx Tale
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#8 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:35 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:They say marijuana doesn't cause physical addiction, but some dudes absolutely do get mentally hooked on the stuff to the point they are dependent and just can't function anymore. I would say Sanders is well into the process of flushing a promising career and maybe $100 million down the drain if I hadn't have been one of those crying "contract year!" about the big push that got him his terrible contract in the first place.

For one thing based off my years learning pharmacology, Marijuana is not addictive. I don't know what physical addiction is, the correct term you might be looking for is physical dependence. In which case is not an addiction, and more of something you enjoy so you do it. Psychological dependance is where addiction stems from and marijuana shows no links to that. It is actually less addictive than coffee based of independent case studies.

Second, I don't believe the article said marijuana.

Third, the NBA needs to stop caring about weed. Ban alcohol if you're going to ban weed.

Lastly, I don't support the use of marijuana for recreational use. Waste of time imo. nor do I use it. I am just defending it because people seem to label it in such a negative light without any science backing.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#9 » by LieCheatSteal » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:53 pm

Shades of Roy Tarpley, it feels like.
Two years from being two years away.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#10 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:05 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:For one thing based off my years learning pharmacology, Marijuana is not addictive. I don't know what physical addiction is, the correct term you might be looking for is physical dependence. In which case is not an addiction, and more of something you enjoy so you do it. Psychological dependance is where addiction stems from and marijuana shows no links to that. It is actually less addictive than coffee based of independent case studies.

Physical dependence is not a matter of enjoyment, but a body's demand for a substance to which it become accustomed. So, if you are physically dependent on something, when you cease using it, you will experience withdrawal. Plenty of addicts do not enjoy their addiction, or even the feeling after using, but continue to do it because their body intensely craves the substance and compels them to seek it out to stave off withdrawal. Psychological symptoms may manifest as the mind's way of reacting to physical dependence, or as a habit has formed, with your mind associating substance use with a variety of possible factors (such as, "wake 'n bake", "i only smoke after dinner", "i drink when i feel depressed", "i snort coke when i'm trying to get amped up").

ReturnofMVP3 wrote: [T]he NBA needs to stop caring about weed. Ban alcohol if you're going to ban weed.

This is a matter of legality, so far as I am aware. Alcohol is legal nation-wide, but marijuana is not. What the NBA could do, it test like certain state athletic commissions do. Consider the Jon Jones case: he was caught using cocaine (presumably) because of a test that was accidentally ordered. Typically, UFC fighters are not tested for substances that are not considered performance-enhancing. The NBA could absolutely adopt this approach, and I think there can be reasonable arguments made for its adoption.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
esperanzafleet
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#11 » by esperanzafleet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:15 am

i don't think this is hugely about drugs, but more so that this guy is so stupid he can't not smoke to earn millions of dollars.. i bet all of that money is gone within 2 years after he's done with basketball.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#12 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:21 am

esperanzafleet wrote:i don't think this is hugely about drugs, but more so that this guy is so stupid he can't not smoke to earn millions of dollars.. i bet all of that money is gone within 2 years after he's done with basketball.

It is pretty brutal that these guys still screw up their opportunities with all of the measures and assistance teams and the league put in place.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
gokings2010
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#13 » by gokings2010 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:34 am

Your opinion on addiction is insane. Anything u take or inhale for a amount of time will cause an addiction. PPl get hooked on pills prescribed from Drs. PPl get hooked and addicted to things they do on a daily basis. Im sure hes been smoking his whole life but the sad thing is hes hanging out with the wrong crowd while he was suppose to get his **** together. Money however will make me quit anything
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#14 » by MRxBLACK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:40 am

Money well spent by the Bucks.
ESPN Sucks
SeanDaRyan
Junior
And1: 130

Post#15 » by SeanDaRyan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:26 pm

man that sucks I liked Larry Sanders. hope he gets his head on straight eventually. He can still save his career
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Do we know it was weed? Everybody here is talking about weed but I would think it is more likely something else. It seems unlikely that the NBA even tests for weed because of the number of players that get tickets for possession but never test positive. And while smoking weed habitually does make you a little slower on the uptake it does not lead to social dysfunction. Remember, he bailed from the team before he failed the drug test. (Or at least that's the timeline that I received the news.) Maybe meth or heroin but most likely coke.
Optimism Prime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31

Post#17 » by Optimism Prime » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 am

LARRY SANDERS! Hash.

(If it is indeed a marijuana suspension.)
Hello ladies. Look at your posts. Now back to mine. Now back at your posts now back to MINE. Sadly, they aren't mine. But if your posts started using Optimismâ„¢, they could sound like mine. This post is now diamonds.

I'm on a horse.

Return to Wiretap Discussion