NBA Wants To Reduce Back-To-Backs, Preseason

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Wants To Reduce Back-To-Backs, Preseason 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Adam Silver would like to made adjustments to the NBA schedule to allow players more rest and to reduce the number of preseason games.

The NBA extended the length of the All-Star break this season, but it resulted in a surge of four games in five nights for teams.

"We'll come as close as we can to eliminating the four-in-five formula. We think we can make a dramatic reduction," Silver said. "We hear everyone loud and clearly. It's a function of number of days in the schedule."

Silver said the league had been in talks with television partners TNT and ESPN about allowing more games to take place on Thursdays and Sundays, when the schedule is pared back for national television purposes.

PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Re: NBA Wants To Reduce Back-To-Backs, Preseason 

Post#2 » by PZiv » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:01 pm

God bless you sir.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#3 » by deanwoof » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Want is different than actually doing. Until t happens ..
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Start season 2 weeks earlier, play 4 pre-season games, 80 regular season games and keep All-Star break at 7 days.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#5 » by MaxRider » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 pm

back to back is fine
as long they don't have to travel far away
one night against lakers the other against clippers is fine or brooklyn/new york or dallas/san antonio/houston
not one night in phoenix then have to travel to atlanta
please don't do 4 games in 5 night
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#6 » by Leto » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Don't like it. It diminishes the role of having a bench all so Lebron can rest enough between games to play 40 mins a night. Now, teams that do not have stars are going to be further compromised because depth won't be as much of an issue.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#7 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Love this move
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#8 » by artsncrafts » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:32 pm

The Raptor have 4 in 5 twice a month :nonono:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
moe2014
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#9 » by moe2014 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 pm

this kind of stuff hurts the game. these players want to make as much money as possible while giving as little effort as possible, which is fine, but it doesn't mean the nba should give in to every single thing. players should have to play back-to-backs sometimes. they should have to go on extended road trips sometimes. they should need to play through injury sometimes. part of what makes the nba season interesting is seeing how teams compete in the face of adversity. it doesn't work to have everyone well-rested for every game when there are 82 games in a season. if there were only 20 games and every game meant so much more, then fine. but with 82 games, these guys can afford to play tired sometimes. give me a break.

i'm all for there being a day off between games in the playoffs. the games mean so much more and every team deserves to be as close to 100% as possible. but in the regular season? come on.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#10 » by crazymaso » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:37 pm

moe2014 wrote:this kind of stuff hurts the game. these players want to make as much money as possible while giving as little effort as possible, which is fine, but it doesn't mean the nba should give in to every single thing. players should have to play back-to-backs sometimes. they should have to go on extended road trips sometimes. they should need to play through injury sometimes. part of what makes the nba season interesting is seeing how teams compete in the face of adversity. it doesn't work to have everyone well-rested for every game when there are 82 games in a season. if there were only 20 games and every game meant so much more, then fine. but with 82 games, these guys can afford to play tired sometimes. give me a break.

i'm all for there being a day off between games in the playoffs. the games mean so much more and every team deserves to be as close to 100% as possible. but in the regular season? come on.

That is ridiculous. Players shouldn't have to play through injuries. Reduce the amount of 4 games in 5 nights is such a positive thing.

And please..stop this crap about "want to give as little effort as possible" - maybe true for the bench feeders of the NBA, but talking about the real STARS? I am absolutely sure they are not thinking how can I make the most money with the least effort. They are thinking about how to improve their game, conditioning etc and as a side effect bonus this will increase their money via contract signings.

I would definitely welcome the league finding a way to allow teams to have more rest. As Adam said himself, it's basically just math formulas and calculations. More rest, less injuries, fresher playoff teams? Yes please.
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#11 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:50 am

Honestly, I like back to back games, I like watching basketball. But what I really want is more national games, for everyone. I mean Jazz have had like top 5 TV ratings and top 5 attendance for years, and even in dismal years, their TV rating is still top 5. You would realize there is something to see.

People like me are being deprived (even though I got LP). Teams like Jazz, Bucks and Hawks aren't being shown on national games, and I am talking about "real" national games on ABC, TNT and ESPN. Hawks only got 2 ESPN games, Jazz Have ZERO, and Bucks have ZERO. And don't give me that "they have a couple on NBATV", well a "couple" aka 2 each for Jazz and Bucks, is not national coverage, yet they are two of the best young teams in league.

I like half the preseason, back to backs but few to no 4 in 5's, and getting the 3 TV stations to allow more games on national feed. TNT isn't option unless they take over Tuesday night Fan night, ABC is packed with crap, leaving ESPN who has to coverage a lot of sports. Hell, as a Jazz fan I will take ESPN 2, ESPN U, ESPN 3, or even ESPN Classic. Honestly I think NBA should team up with Fox Sports. I honestly hate fox, but they are the only other potential sports leader with multiple stations, aka Jazz could be on Fox Sports 1 or 2.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:56 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:Honestly, I like back to back games, I like watching basketball. But what I really want is more national games, for everyone. I mean Jazz have had like top 5 TV ratings and top 5 attendance for years, and even in dismal years, their TV rating is still top 5. You would realize there is something to see.

People like me are being deprived (even though I got LP). Teams like Jazz, Bucks and Hawks aren't being shown on national games, and I am talking about "real" national games on ABC, TNT and ESPN. Hawks only got 2 ESPN games, Jazz Have ZERO, and Bucks have ZERO. And don't give me that "they have a couple on NBATV", well a "couple" aka 2 each for Jazz and Bucks, is not national coverage, yet they are two of the best young teams in league.

I like half the preseason, back to backs but few to no 4 in 5's, and getting the 3 TV stations to allow more games on national feed. TNT isn't option unless they take over Tuesday night Fan night, ABC is packed with crap, leaving ESPN who has to coverage a lot of sports. Hell, as a Jazz fan I will take ESPN 2, ESPN U, ESPN 3, or even ESPN Classic. Honestly I think NBA should team up with Fox Sports. I honestly hate fox, but they are the only other potential sports leader with multiple stations, aka Jazz could be on Fox Sports 1 or 2.

Back-to-back games = Bad basketball, poor quality of play

Utah Jazzz = Bad basketball, poor quality of play

People want to watch winning teams. People want to watch the greatest players, the stars. Sure bigger markets have a natural advantage, but if you're a winning team capable of making a playoff run, and you have some all-star level players, you WILL get more national games. I personally would not watch a Utah vs. Milwaukee game.
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#13 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 am

You got to be kidding me. Jazz vs Bucks, is ten times more entertaining than Lakers vs Knicks, Philly vs Magic. Or any combination of those teams for the past 3 years easily. 2 biggest markets, and 2 fairly huge markets, and they have nothing worth watching. At least Lakers have had decades of excellency, just like Jazz.

People like you wouldn't know good basketball. You got media crapping bad basketball down your throat, that people like you and millions of East Coast people couldn't comprehend a Basketball team without having a Superstar. This season people are down right shocked beyond belief that Hawks could be good, or that they can win like this without a superstar like Curry or Harden.

I bet "good" basketball to you is "adorn the super star", praise only those popular players and winning teams and ignore everyone else and judge them by nazi ruler stick.

I get it, everyone hates Jazz, and Utah, the funny part no one in Utah cares, we got Jazz, and you all don't. Jazz have been given crap reputations, because media purposely ignores them, and then people listen to media write about Jazz.

Even I think Milwaukee is crap overall, by reputation, but that is because they have bad organization, below average city, and nothing there to praise. Yet Jazz have everything to praise, biggest youth program with Jr. Jazz, top fans in basketball, with top 5 attendance and top 5 TV ratings for years, has an amazing organization and ownership group, and overall Jazz have been prototype organization to copy; before Spurs there was Jazz. I honestly want to hear an actual reason why people hate Jazz. I can call Lakers crap all I want, but I can't deny years or excellence and impact on NBA that Buss's Lakers have had, even if I hate them for it.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#14 » by JCruz6 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:04 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:You got to be kidding me. Jazz vs Bucks, is ten times more entertaining than Lakers vs Knicks, Philly vs Magic. Or any combination of those teams for the past 3 years easily. 2 biggest markets, and 2 fairly huge markets, and they have nothing worth watching. At least Lakers have had decades of excellency, just like Jazz.

People like you wouldn't know good basketball. You got media crapping bad basketball down your throat, that people like you and millions of East Coast people couldn't comprehend a Basketball team without having a Superstar. This season people are down right shocked beyond belief that Hawks could be good, or that they can win like this without a superstar like Curry or Harden.

I bet "good" basketball to you is "adorn the super star", praise only those popular players and winning teams and ignore everyone else and judge them by nazi ruler stick.

I get it, everyone hates Jazz, and Utah, the funny part no one in Utah cares, we got Jazz, and you all don't. Jazz have been given crap reputations, because media purposely ignores them, and then people listen to media write about Jazz.

Even I think Milwaukee is crap overall, by reputation, but that is because they have bad organization, below average city, and nothing there to praise. Yet Jazz have everything to praise, biggest youth program with Jr. Jazz, top fans in basketball, with top 5 attendance and top 5 TV ratings for years, has an amazing organization and ownership group, and overall Jazz have been prototype organization to copy; before Spurs there was Jazz. I honestly want to hear an actual reason why people hate Jazz. I can call Lakers crap all I want, but I can't deny years or excellence and impact on NBA that Buss's Lakers have had, even if I hate them for it.

Preach! We are only shown who's name is hot and that's it. No one watched Indiana three years ago, no one watched Atlanta, Washington and all of a sudden these young studs blossom and they've been fans from the get go. GTFO.
Can't wait to see Gobert blow up and be the face of the Jazz. They're young, so they won't win a lot, but I'll watch them over the Knicks or the Lakers any day of the week.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:25 pm

yea!

Return to Wiretap Discussion