Windhorst: Wiggins Would Have Remained With Cavs If He'd Signed With Rich Paul

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Windhorst: Wiggins Would Have Remained With Cavs If He'd Signed With Rich Paul 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Before Andrew Wiggins' freshman season at Kansas began, Rich Paul was considered the favorite to become his agent.

Paul also represents Canadians cush as Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Myck Kabongo.

Wiggins ultimately chose Bill Duffy with Roc Nation as the runner-up.

ESPN's Brian Windhorst reports Wiggins wouldn't have been traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers if he had signed with Paul's agency.

When the Cavaliers signed James, they believed they were going to keep Wiggins and trading for Kevin Love wouldn't have had to include the first overall pick of the draft. James left Wiggins out of the his return to Cleveland letter and he was soon included in trade talks.

MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Re: Windhorst: Wiggins Would Have Remained With Cavs If He'd Signed With Rich Paul 

Post#2 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:23 pm

It's obvious Lebron didn't want the rookie Wiggins on the team with his letter! So would it really have made a difference with who the agent was...I don't think so!
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Re: Windhorst: Wiggins Would Have Remained With Cavs If He'd Signed With Rich Paul 

Post#3 » by EddieJonesFan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Yeah, how are the two connected? BS click bait.
real1g
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#4 » by real1g » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 pm

MrNYYNYGNYK wrote:It's obvious Lebron didn't want the rookie Wiggins on the team with his letter! So would it really have made a difference with who the agent was...I don't think so!

Do you guys know who Rich Paul is? He's LeBron's boytoy/puppet. Of course Wiggins would still be there had he signed with Paul.
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#5 » by TheSamMitchell » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Rich Paul is a nobody. Brian Windhorst is a nobody. Lebron made Rich Paul's career. Lebron made Brian Windhorst's career. I think their may be some correlation there.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#6 » by caronimo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:46 pm

the only reason tristan thompson is still on the cavs and probably getting a huge payday is because his agent is rich paul.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#7 » by castor777 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:54 pm

This article does seem completely misleading. I think the Cavs were pretty sure they could land Kevin Love, and likely told LeBron this when they had their meeting with him. If they could have, I think they would've stayed pat and not include Wiggins in trade talks and try to wait out the T'Wolves who'd eventually give into Love's trade demands (a la what just happened with Dragic). But there was plenty of reports that the Warriors were still interested, and the Bulls had interest as well - so they agreed to part with Wiggins. Had Rich Paul been his agent, maybe they'd hold off a bit I guess, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense overall. The only player other than LeBron on the Cavs signed to Rich Paul is Tristian Thompson - not Kyrie, not Love, JR, Moz, etc. So even though LeBron might've favored Wiggins more if he had that connection - I don't think LeBron would suddenly want him more than he did Kevin Love.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#8 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Drama! What a surprise coming from LeBron's camp...I guess the Timberwolves lucked out by Wiggins not signing with RP.
Sir Cruz
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#9 » by Sir Cruz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:00 pm

I wonder how much Lebron regrets not keeping Wigs.

WIth Wiggins, if things were right, could have been a Cavalier for a long time and took over the reign after LBJ.

Now James has put them in a situation where anyone can go at anytime; Kyrie, Love, Shump, Moz, everybody.

If LBJ retired next season, with Wiggins the team could stay in tact, even better, with Andrews rookie deal.

I find it hard to believe including Dion in the Love trade instead of Wigs COULDN'T be done. GSW already pulled out of the Klay fiasco.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#10 » by LApwnd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Minn wouldn't have done the trade w/o Wiggins, stop with the BS....its pretty obviously nothing else from that Clev package is worth a dam outside of Wiggins thus far. Those remaining picks owed to Minn will be late 1st rders that probably end up being nothing more than role players at best
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#11 » by Tdot24 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:48 pm

This is pathetic. This is like grade school playground BS. "If he had only given my friend his business, I wouldn't have kicked him off my team"... blah blah... wah wah waah
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#12 » by olive_triangurl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Brian Windhurts is the master of getting the wrong end of the stick, so I don't trust the fool.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:58 pm

What in the world does a different agent have to do with things? Cleveland wanted Love and Wiggins was the price to get him. End of story.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:31 pm

The_Hater wrote:What in the world does a different agent have to do with things? Cleveland wanted Love and Wiggins was the price to get him. End of story.

Agents play a big role in where players end up. That's how the NBA works son
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#15 » by pcbothwel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Not giving validity to the story, but serious question. What could the Cavs have been without Love? I mean, they started slow anyway, so having a younger team would not have been that much different. Tracking the transactions:

1) Wiggins, Bennett, Miami 2015 1st (# 15-18ish range) for Love
2) Waiters for JR, Shump, OKC 1st
3) OKC 2015 1st, Mem 1st(probably 2017) for Mozgov

What if instead, they kept Wiggins and still made the other trades. They then could of used Bennett, Shump to pickup another big like Kanter (Bennett / late 1st to Jazz, Shump to 3rd team for late 1st in 2016, Kanter to Cavs):

Irving/ Delladova
Wiggins/ JR
Bron/ JR / Marion
Thompson/ Kanter / Marion
Mozgov / Kanter

You then still have the Miami 1st for 2015 along with the Haywood contract to add another big piece in 2015/16 year...eesshhh.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#16 » by olive_triangurl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Wiggins doesn't turn the ball over (only 2.0 turnovers per game, despite playing with the horrible Twvoles and without Rubio for most of the season), and he plays good enough defense (especially by Cleveland's standards), so there would have been no downside to Wiggins.
Heck, he's even shooting 36% from downtown (and it was even higher at the start of the season).
And he's already got a better post-up game than Love.
Anyway, glad Wiggins got free of that dump.
Cleveland will never win a ring.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#17 » by chakdaddy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:13 pm

I don't think the Cavs were getting Love without giving Wiggins. I think Love is a Celtic in that scenario. Or Bull or Warrior if they anted up.
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#18 » by totalrekall » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:19 pm

I hope this isnt the real reason he was included in the trade. if it is, the NBA has some serious conflicts of interest going on. how much clout does LeBron have? too much. how can he be the player association vice president when he's involved in this? this is very wrong. who a player chooses as his agent shouldnt effect his status w/ the team that drafted him. thats very obviously a form of corruption
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#19 » by artsncrafts » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:20 pm

It doesnt matter what happens with Cleveland they will get the #1 pick in the next stacked draft.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#20 » by AQuintus » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 pm

and trading for Kevin Love wouldn't have had to include the first overall pick of the draft.

And they were completely wrong. The ONLY way they were ever going to get Love was by trading Wiggins for him.

Return to Wiretap Discussion