Rajon Rondo, Rick Carlisle Friction Had Been Building

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rajon Rondo, Rick Carlisle Friction Had Been Building 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:03 pm

Rajon Rondo was benched for the final 20-plus minutes of the Dallas Mavericks' win on Tuesday over the Toronto Raptors following a profanity-laced confrontation with Rick Carlisle.

Rondo and Carlisle were arguing over play-calling responsibilities.

Carlisle stormed out on the American Airlines Center court to call a timeout and shouted at Rondo, who appeared to be ignoring a play call from the bench as he brought the ball up the floor.

Rondo responded by shouting back at Carlisle. They exchanged heated words for much of the timeout, with assistant coach Jamahl Mosley at one point stepping in front of Rondo to prevent the point guard and coach from getting in each other's faces.

"Well, it's an emotional game, and we had a difference of opinion," Carlisle said. "There was an exchange, and then in my mind, it was over."

Rondo declined to take questions with reporters after the game.

"Discuss with Rick," said Rondo.

Team sources told ESPNDallas.com that friction had been building between Carlisle and Rondo over play-calling responsibilities, the majority of which the coach has handled. 

Jason Kidd had similar frustrations with Carlisle in his first season with the Mavericks.

Mark Cuban attempted to downplay the latest incident between Carlisle and Rondo.

"S--- happens. Not the first time, not the last time," Cuban told ESPNDallas.com. "It'll happen again. It's not just Rajon. It's a long season. In my 15 years, I've seen it happen more times than I can count, and we survive every time."

Rondo will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Rajon Rondo, Rick Carlisle Friction Had Been Building 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:41 pm

It wasn't the first time Rondo has clashed with a coach, and won't be the last.

However, for discussion sake is it a coaches job to call plays or is it the play-makers job to call plays? or both?
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#3 » by jlokine » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:03 pm

"Discuss with Rick,"

to address his coach on a first name basis kind of shows where his attitude is at with him and his coach.
bmsmcr
Junior
And1: 109

Post#4 » by bmsmcr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Of course there is friction, Rondo has been playing like balls.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#5 » by Red8911 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Bench him
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#6 » by 2011Champs » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Until Rajon starts playing better his opinion doesnt count. He needs to shut up and play Carlisles system. If He doesn't like it he can move on. Rondo is consistently worse on offense than his backups.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#7 » by MegaK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Tough call. Both have won a championship. Technically, the coach is supposed to be the brain of the team and the point guard is an extension of the coach on the court. I think Rondo should've listened to the Coach. But I imagine that is easier said than done.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#8 » by LApwnd » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Rondo not doing himself any favors, good luck getting that max type offer now with his horrible play and bad attitude.
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#9 » by rocketsballin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:15 pm

godammit rondo wher ea re my assists? stop whining and get back to your role and pile those assists! I NEED ASSISTS!
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,725

Post#10 » by KamikazeK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 pm

I've always been a huge Rondo fan and didn't want to see him go, but he needs to shut up and listen to the coach.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#11 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Rajon Rondo's greatest strength is his mind and knowing what play to run. I'
m not sure Rick was even a point guard? If he was he certainly wasn't any good.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#12 » by castor777 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Rajon Rondo's greatest strength is his mind and knowing what play to run. I'

Doesn't really matter at all. Carlisle has won a ring, Rondo has won a ring. They both are great NBA talents and each of them are going to voice their opinion or displeasure. It really means nothing during a long season, and most feuds don't last very long at all.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 am

Dude, you are a point guard that couldn't beat Shaq in a game of horse... You need to listen, learn and be thankful that the basketball gods once surrounded you with Kevin, Paul and Ray!

This guy is going to get a max deal this summer and banish some poor team into a four year rebuild.
In two years we're going to hear hopeful speak about the cap space in 2019... when Rondo comes off the books.
In three years we'll all be talking about Rondo's tradeable expiring contract.
In three and a half years Rondo will be negotiating a buyout in hopes of latching on to a contender.

It's kind of depressing!
HeatRing2012
Bench Warmer
And1: 291

Post#14 » by HeatRing2012 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:38 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Rajon Rondo's greatest strength is his mind and knowing what play to run. I'

thats one hell of an uneducated post right there

Rick was indeed a guard who averaged 5 apg (per36) and won a championchip as a player in '86.

but that doesn't even matter. besides having a championchip-guard-mind he also won a ring as a coach in 2011.
if anything Rondo still can learn a lot from Rick. no matter if he was "any good" back then or not.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:50 pm

castor777 wrote:

Doesn't really matter at all. Carlisle has won a ring, Rondo has won a ring. They both are great NBA talents and each of them are going to voice their opinion or displeasure. It really means nothing during a long season, and most feuds don't last very long at all.

This is pretty accurate. This is a not really an issue.

They're both successful. One of Rondo's best and worst qualities is his ability to take risks. From watching him play, he gets frustrated when these risks don't work out on the floor (As it shows with his defiance against his coach, who was right that he should not have made the play he had). When it works, Rondo looks like a genius.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion