Iverson: Westbrook Reminds Me So Much Of Myself

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Iverson: Westbrook Reminds Me So Much Of Myself 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Russell Westbrook has a lot of admirers and Allen Iverson may be one of his biggest.

Iverson sat with the Philadelphia 76ers' announcers during Wednesday's game and was asked what he looks for in a player and gave Westbrook as an example.

"I'm biggest Westbrook fan I think there is because reminds me so much of myself as far as his heart, laying it on the line night in and night out.”

Via Slam

mike d
Sophomore
And1: 18

Re: Iverson: Westbrook Reminds Me So Much Of Myself 

Post#2 » by mike d » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Personally I think Isaaih Thomas of the Celtics reminds me of Iverson.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#3 » by texasholdem » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Is this a compliment or an insult?
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#4 » by totalrekall » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Westbrook is a donkey. shoots a terrible percentage but takes 30 shots anyway. he's good for 7-10 turnovers every game. NBA is padding the hell out of his stats. getting 15 or 20 FTs every game. one of the most amazing athletes to ever play the game but not a team player. its the Russell Westbrook show even when KD is healthy. he doesnt even need teammates. he's a ballhog who ices his own team. no one else is involved. only passes the ball when he can get an assist out of it. probably the most selfish player in NBA history
duepayer
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#5 » by duepayer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 pm

mike d wrote:Personally I think Isaaih Thomas of the Celtics reminds me of Iverson.

That's a great call except I'm not sure Isaiah is as good a defender. They def are similar in stature and skillset tho.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 148

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:30 pm

totalrekall wrote:Westbrook is a donkey. shoots a terrible percentage but takes 30 shots anyway. he's good for 7-10 turnovers every game. NBA is padding the hell out of his stats. getting 15 or 20 FTs every game. one of the most amazing athletes to ever play the game but not a team player. its the Russell Westbrook show even when KD is healthy. he doesnt even need teammates. he's a ballhog who ices his own team. no one else is involved. only passes the ball when he can get an assist out of it. probably the most selfish player in NBA history

I never read so much hate in my life. Russell Westbrook is a selfish player? He not a team player? Please tell me something, when Russell was out last season weren't there games where KD was struggling? KD needs Russell just like Russell needs KD, they both make up for what the other person lacks.

Russell isn't Rondo, who only thinks of passing when he knows he's getting the assist. Russell is more like a Derrick Rose who is trying too prove too the world he's not just a hot headed gunner. He's more in control then he ever was; yes there will be games where he looks like his old self but he's learning. The dude has like 8 triple doubles; there is only 5 guys who is either faster or on the same level as Russell, he's athletic, if he masters his mid-range he can probably be one of the best mid-range shooter there is. I do agree that he can and will turn the ball over, but what do you expect from someone who is trying to do everything. He just needs to learn that he can't do everything; but there are a few turnovers that aren't his fault, I can say at least 3 turnovers isn't because he can't pass the ball, its more like the players he's passing to can't catch it.
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#7 » by pjiggz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:48 pm

"I'm biggest Westbrook fan I think there is because reminds me so much of myself as far as his heart, laying it on the line night in and night out.”

He is clearly talking about the way he plays the game as far as his heart and laying it on the line every game and is not talking about skill or talent.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Iverson is right although Westbrook is bigger and better IMO. Iverson was woefully inefficient and wouldn't have been nearly as highly revered in the analytics era. Aside from that they have very similar styles, both talented and difficult to guard coupled with a few boneheaded decisions in between and equally polarizing with the fans.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
tallassmike
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by tallassmike » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:25 pm

I was talking about Iverson just awhile ago when they were going on about the MVP debates.

Iverson did so much for his team, but he had no serious consideration for MVP until his team became the #1 seed. They should have the same argument for Westbrook.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#10 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Iverson was a tougher player to guard. Absolutely unstoppable in his prime.
ESPN Sucks
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#11 » by GaaBaaBoo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Are you kidding me Allen? You are SOOOOOO much better than Russell!
andohbytheway
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#12 » by andohbytheway » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:04 pm

this whole Westbrook=MVP is nonsense. Yes, one of the more selfish players in the league. Yeah, he's great. But he's way to focused on taking his shot.

here's this:
Durant has played in like 26 games this year. In those 26, Westbrook has taken more overall shots than Durant (including shots that led to free throw attempts) in 19 of them.

would you rather have Durant shoot more or Westbrook?
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,218

Post#13 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Pretty sure Westbrook practices...
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:39 am

tallassmike wrote:I was talking about Iverson just awhile ago when they were going on about the MVP debates.

Iverson did so much for his team, but he had no serious consideration for MVP until his team became the #1 seed. They should have the same argument for Westbrook.

Agreed. But for the past two seasons they have had the second best record in the league and Westbrook got no legitimate consideration... because Durant was clearly the better player. I know he is sidelined right now but Durant is still the better player. How can the second best player on a team be the MVP of the league?

And it isn't about personal numbers. It's about which player elevates their team the most. The fact that the Thunder have fallen off so much in the absence of Durant somewhat legitimizes his MVP award last year. You cant reward someone with an MVP trophy because they helped their team potentially squeak out an 8th seed. And you cant reward the numbers when many of Westbrook's best individual games ended in team losses. At best you can award him All NBA 1st team... but I would give that to Steph Curry.
ricecakes
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by ricecakes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:36 am

Your argument doesn't make sense. True - OKC fell this year vs last year when Durant was playing. But that top seed result was the combination of Durant AND westbrook AND Ibaka. This year westbrook had to do most of it without Durant (and only for 56 games as he was injured himself). The only fair comparison to see who is more valuable to the team is to have Durant go for 56 games without Westbrook and see where they end up.

And in terms of seeding, it should not matter whether the team is 1st seed or 8th seed it's as you said who ELEVATES THE TEAM the most. If having Westbrook vs not having Westbrook means they go from the 16th -> 8th seed, then who's to say he's not elevating his team the most? In any case westbrook was injured so the stats come from a limited sample rather than a full season.

As to your last point: "I know he is sidelined right now but Durant is still the better player." This makes no sense. If he's sidelined, then he's not the best player because he can't play. It's that simple.

I'm not saying westbrook should be handed the MVP I'm simply saying your reasons for not giving westbrook the MVP are invalid and misleading.

Pickled Prunes wrote:
tallassmike wrote:I was talking about Iverson just awhile ago when they were going on about the MVP debates.

Agreed. But for the past two seasons they have had the second best record in the league and Westbrook got no legitimate consideration... because Durant was clearly the better player. I know he is sidelined right now but Durant is still the better player. How can the second best player on a team be the MVP of the league?

And it isn't about personal numbers. It's about which player elevates their team the most. The fact that the Thunder have fallen off so much in the absence of Durant somewhat legitimizes his MVP award last year. You cant reward someone with an MVP trophy because they helped their team potentially squeak out an 8th seed. And you cant reward the numbers when many of Westbrook's best individual games ended in team losses. At best you can award him All NBA 1st team... but I would give that to Steph Curry.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,812

Post#16 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:43 pm

They're both chuckers, but aside from that, Westbrook is the better player and it isn't even close.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 364

Post#17 » by imDatknicksTape » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Westbrook wishes he was AI. This league misses him. There will be another iverson in this league. EVER. one of a kind.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#18 » by ET Da Gawd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:57 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FLfRmvp78[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmi91E3SMiI[/youtube]

it dont matter what you do in the regular season. iverson brought it every night when the games mattered. its not a diss to westbrook either because his career is still going on. both ai and westbrook got to a finals and lost so if anything, their just as good as each other. but cant seriously try to compare iverson to isiah thomas on the celts. not even close
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,935

Post#19 » by nikster » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:01 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:Westbrook wishes he was AI. This league misses him. There will be another iverson in this league. EVER. one of a kind.

Westbrook does not wish he was AI

There will never be another Westbrook either by the way
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#20 » by your boy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:32 am

Raps in 4 wrote:They're both chuckers, but aside from that, Westbrook is the better player and it isn't even close.

Let me know when Westbrook carries a team to the finals

Return to Wiretap Discussion