Andrew Wiggins Wins NBA ROY; Mirotic Finishes 2nd Ahead Of Noel

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andrew Wiggins Wins NBA ROY; Mirotic Finishes 2nd Ahead Of Noel 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Andrew Wiggins has been named NBA Rookie of the Year, beating out Nikola Mirotic and Nerlens Noel.

Via RealGM Staff Report

DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Re: Andrew Wiggins Wins NBA ROY; Mirotic Finishes 2nd Ahead Of Noel 

Post#2 » by DrClutch » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Hah should've been Nikola Mirotic , I dont care Wiggins was on the crappiest team in the league logging good minutes to disappoint for most part of the season(Zach Lavine breakout was better) Nikola was limited in minutes and when Bulls called on a player to step up he delivered both offensively and defensively. His hype was real! once he gets more comfortable & minutes Chi-town have a dangerous player with a nasty pump fak, calling it 6th man of the year for next season
Imenutz
Junior
And1: 192

Post#3 » by Imenutz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:55 pm

DrClutch wrote:Hah should've been Nikola Mirotic , I dont care Wiggins was on the crappiest team in the league logging good minutes to disappoint for most part of the season(Zach Lavine breakout was better) Nikola was limited in minutes and when Bulls called on a player to step up he delivered both offensively and defensively. His hype was real! once he gets more comfortable & minutes Chi-town have a dangerous player with a nasty pump fak, calling it 6th man of the year for next season

You do realize Mirotic is 24 and Wiggins is 20. Lavine is neither better then Wiggins now nor will he ever be. Call all you want Wiggins > Mirotic.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#4 » by DarthDiggler69 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Mirotic plays minutes under Thibs, Wiggins would be serving water to players if he was under Thibs
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#5 » by basketballbeans » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 pm

DrClutch wrote:Hah should've been Nikola Mirotic , I dont care Wiggins was on the crappiest team in the league logging good minutes to disappoint for most part of the season(Zach Lavine breakout was better) Nikola was limited in minutes and when Bulls called on a player to step up he delivered both offensively and defensively. His hype was real! once he gets more comfortable & minutes Chi-town have a dangerous player with a nasty pump fak, calling it 6th man of the year for next season

Even if you wanna debate about whose a better player currently between Wiggins and Miroctic... there are "political" (in terms of the NBA) reasons why Miroctic wouldn't win.

1) He is a role player. Comes off the bench. The NBA most likely isn't giving that award to a non-starting Rookie
2) He is 24 years old... older then many NBA'ers with two or three years experience. Wiggins is 20 years old. Age does matter for this award... and although technically a rookie, Miroctic has been playing pro-basketball since 2011 in the Spanish ACB for Real Madrid. This is Wiggins first year in any pro-league.
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by basketballbeans » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:28 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:Mirotic plays minutes under Thibs, Wiggins would be serving water to players if he was under Thibs

Wiggins would get playing time. Not 36 minutes a game most likely, but would easily be in the rotation. Might even start... Dunleavy or him? And whether he starts or not, he's the 3rd man in there wing-player rotation at least.

Also, no way ANY NBA coach is benching a first-overall pick... that's just dumb in it's essence. Why would you draft a player at number 1 and not try to develop him ASAP?
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#7 » by Mr Sixer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:16 pm

SoulFly23 wrote:

Even if you wanna debate about whose a better player currently between Wiggins and Miroctic... there are "political" (in terms of the NBA) reasons why Miroctic wouldn't win.

1) He is a role player. Comes off the bench. The NBA most likely isn't giving that award to a non-starting Rookie
2) He is 24 years old... older then many NBA'ers with two or three years experience. Wiggins is 20 years old. Age does matter for this award... and although technically a rookie, Miroctic has been playing pro-basketball since 2011 in the Spanish ACB for Real Madrid. This is Wiggins first year in any pro-league.

You're absolutely right. Mirotic is already a roleplayer on a playoff team in his first year. Wiggins on the otherhand, isn't even a roleplayer yet, and has yet to show that he can even contribute more to winning basketball more than an average NBA player.
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by basketballbeans » Fri May 1, 2015 5:14 am

Mr Sixer wrote:
SoulFly23 wrote:

You're absolutely right. Mirotic is already a roleplayer on a playoff team in his first year. Wiggins on the otherhand, isn't even a roleplayer yet, and has yet to show that he can even contribute more to winning basketball more than an average NBA player.

Is that the argument you used when Kyrie Irving won it on a 21-45 Cavs team? Or when Lillard won it on a 33-49 team? What about Kevin Durant when he won it on a 20-62 team? Honestly bruh... no one expects rookies to turn bad teams into contender or even play-off teams. I mean, I guess some people do... but I ain't sure why you do... pretty much every rookie of the year played for a losing team... and it's pretty logical why - worse teams get earlier draft picks... earlier draft picks tend to be better players...

By the way, you're right... Wiggins isn't a role-player... he is the focal point of the Timberwolves future...

Honestly I don't see why you're even debating this. A bench-player is not winning the rookie of the year...

Also, by the logic you're using... Caremelo Anthony must be a scrub... hell, Kobe is a scrub too. Both played on losing teams this year before they went down with there injuries. DeMarcus Cousins must be a huge scrub as well... I mean after-all, he does play on a losing team...
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by basketballbeans » Fri May 1, 2015 5:16 am

double post.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,384

Post#10 » by NoStatsGuy » Fri May 1, 2015 8:04 am

SoulFly23 wrote:
Is that the argument you used when Kyrie Irving won it on a 21-45 Cavs team? Or when Lillard won it on a 33-49 team? What about Kevin Durant when he won it on a 20-62 team? Honestly bruh... no one expects rookies to turn bad teams into contender or even play-off teams. I mean, I guess some people do... but I ain't sure why you do... pretty much every rookie of the year played for a losing team... and it's pretty logical why - worse teams get earlier draft picks... earlier draft picks tend to be better players...

By the way, you're right... Wiggins isn't a role-player... he is the focal point of the Timberwolves future...

Honestly I don't see why you're even debating this. A bench-player is not winning the rookie of the year...

Also, by the logic you're using... Caremelo Anthony must be a scrub... hell, Kobe is a scrub too. Both played on losing teams this year before they went down with there injuries. DeMarcus Cousins must be a huge scrub as well... I mean after-all, he does play on a losing team...

this.. the ROY Award should go to the better basketball player.. which unquestionable was wiggins this season. Miro will be a very good #3. wiggins will probably be an all star and who knows what he can become.

this was the only right decision
im bout dat action boss

Return to Wiretap Discussion