Tristan Thompson Won't Play For Canada This Summer

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Tristan Thompson Won't Play For Canada This Summer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Tristan Thompson will not play for the Canadian National Team this summer.

Thompson will be a restricted free agent this offseason and is widely expected to re-sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Canada will be participating in the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship, which allows the top two teams to qualify for the 2016 Olympics.

Via Chris B. Haynes/Cleveland Plain Dealer

AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Re: Tristan Thompson Won't Play For Canada This Summer 

Post#2 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Well, that sucks. :(
Thank you Clutch0z24
Jordans_Rose
Junior
And1: 156

Post#3 » by Jordans_Rose » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Lebron probably convinced T.T to become a U.S citizen in order to play for team USA, lol jokes
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#4 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Why? He would be of huge help to the team...it's time Canada made a name for itself on the international stage.
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#5 » by xJumpManx » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 pm

So glad to hear you saw how playing last summer for team usa hurt Kyrie in post season with Knee tendenitus. Hope Lebron can convince Kyrie to not play for team USA next time as well. The Cavs will playing in the finals next season rest this offseason and prepare for the long post season run next year.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by jlokine » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:28 pm

and it begins...
whitemamba12
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by whitemamba12 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 pm

What ever happened to patriotism? Basketball is the only sport where so much top-level talent scoffs at representing their country. It is why the U.S. didn't get the gold in 04 and why it could happen again. As for Canadian basketball, Thompson needs to be playing for Canada. Canada has emerged as a decent producer talent and could possibly medal in the next Olympics. Either way, a good showing would further promote the growth of basketball in Canada.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#8 » by Chuck Newhouse » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Patriotism is for the brainwashed. It serves no other purpose than attracting military participation and subordinate behavior.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#9 » by caronimo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:59 pm

most players won't play for their country during a free agency year so I'm not surprised.
whitemamba12
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by whitemamba12 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Chuck Newhouse wrote:Patriotism is for the brainwashed. It serves no other purpose than attracting military participation and subordinate behavior.

I'm not overly patriotic but I do enjoy rooting for my country (U.S.) in the Olympics. Young athletes should take pride in representing their country and competing against other countries. If you love sports, you must enjoy the excitement generated by the World Cup, Olympic Hockey, and the World Baseball Classic. This doesn't exist in basketball and I just wish it would.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#11 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 pm

They should be able to beat those scrub teams with guys like Wiggins, Olynyk, Bennett, Stauskas and Heslip.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#12 » by RaptorRed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:08 pm

wtff.. Canada is expecting a bronze medal at least in the next olympics. They need him to qualify.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#13 » by Hoopzilla » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Thompson is the next in the long line of NBA caliber big men who used Canada basketball in their youth and turn their back on it when they turn pro. See Jamaal Magloire, never once did he suit up for Canada's mens program. Youth, sure, but when he turned pro, the excuses just poured out. Steve Nash could have used some help and we would have finished better than 7th in 2000 if we had him. He used his free agency as a reason, but it was just one of many. Thompson is probably tired, but he could suit up for the country if he really cared to, which he obviously doesn't. I would be shocked if he ever suits up for Team Canada.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#14 » by nikster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 am

Damn man. We finally have NBA level talent and they dont want to play. Still gonna be a long time till we are competitive...and when that happens, i dont want TT there.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#15 » by Chuck Newhouse » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 am

whitemamba12 wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:Patriotism is for the brainwashed. It serves no other purpose than attracting military participation and subordinate behavior.

I'm not overly patriotic but I do enjoy rooting for my country (U.S.) in the Olympics. Young athletes should take pride in representing their country and competing against other countries. If you love sports, you must enjoy the excitement generated by the World Cup, Olympic Hockey, and the World Baseball Classic. This doesn't exist in basketball and I just wish it would.

I like rooting for Canada too but it's only because I was brainwashed from such a young age that it's ingrained. There is a very slippery slope there that people need to be aware of from a young age.
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#16 » by Illuminati_ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 am

Hes a fa so it dont surprise me..he cant get hurt this summer.

Theres still enough talent on the roster..more than canada ever has had so its fine.
Johnrw
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Johnrw » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:59 am

If he doesn't want to play in his FA year, that is ok to me, BUT don't come begging in the Olympic year for a spot on the team if they make it. Sure you might make the team better but Im all for those that get you there keeping their spots.

Return to Wiretap Discussion