Greg Monroe Plans To Meet With Knicks, Celtics, Bucks, Lakers, Blazers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Greg Monroe Plans To Meet With Knicks, Celtics, Bucks, Lakers, Blazers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Greg Monroe said five teams have shown strong interest as he enters free agency.

Monroe said he will meet this week with the Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Lakers and Portland Trail Blazers.

“(He and agent David Falk) are definitely looking at all our options,” he said. “You can see the trend is everybody’s taking shorter deals right now. So, most likely, I might take that route, too, and when the new deal kicks in, get a longer-term contract.

“I’m looking at a two-year deal plus an option” to become a free agent.

Monroe admits he is out of the Detroit Pistons' plans.

“Stan had smaller teams in Orlando (Magic) years ago,” Monroe said. “Dre is like Dwight Howard. So Stan wants to put good players around him. The team has different plans, and I respect that. I don’t want to be anywhere I’m not wanted.”

Via Darrell Williams/The Advocate

CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Re: Greg Monroe Plans To Meet With Knicks, Celtics, Bucks, Lakers, Blazers 

Post#2 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:38 am

Any possibility he hurts his FA stock after this poor PR play with Detroit?
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#3 » by BorkLazer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 am

CHAMPi0N wrote:Any possibility he hurts his FA stock after this poor PR play with Detroit?

I wouldn't think so. Some team is going to give him exactly the contract he wants. Personally my money is on New York, but I could see Boston trying to sneak in with a big offer.
Praj
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Praj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:37 am

BorkLazer wrote:
CHAMPi0N wrote:Any possibility he hurts his FA stock after this poor PR play with Detroit?

I wouldn't think so. Some team is going to give him exactly the contract he wants. Personally my money is on New York, but I could see Boston trying to sneak in with a big offer.

agree, but as a big NY fan I'm hoping they'll not over paid him, but very unlikely
Ddent12
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Ddent12 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:27 am

I can see the lakers being a dark horse with him ..... I don't see them drafting d Angelo without a big man in the works ..... And regardless what the articles say they have no shot at Aldridge or gasol or DJ .... Monroe would be a good fit and the chance for him to be a star and featured big man
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#6 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:56 am

For a guy that never talked too much in five years, he said waaaay too much here.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 am

tmorgan wrote:For a guy that never talked too much in five years, he said waaaay too much here.

He basically told the truth though? He's not wanted, so why stay?
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#8 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 am

MitchB3 wrote:
tmorgan wrote:For a guy that never talked too much in five years, he said waaaay too much here.

He basically told the truth though? He's not wanted, so why stay?

Told teams exactly what he wants. Need leverage.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#9 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:21 am

The "he's not wanted" narrative is false, though. He was offered big dollars last season and took the QO instead. He doesn't want to play PF, which is entirely his choice, but saying the Pistons don't want him is just a lie. The team had to make moves to get ready for him walking (getting Ilyasova), but the public stance, at least, was that SVG wanted him back. He wants to get paid -- that could have happened. He wants to win -- SVG is a good coach, and we're headed that way. But starting at center wasn't going to happen, and his game didn't fit well with Stan's system.

Bottom line -- I get why he wants to leave. He's always been a good citizen in Detroit, and I don't see why he had to lash out a bit as he left. C'est la vie, and I wish him a good career going forward.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:34 pm

A short term deal might be more attractive to potential suitors as well. Teams (like NY, Boston, LA, etc.) will get a chance to see what he can do in their system without getting locked into a long term deal. If he does well then a long term contract (presumably under a larger cap) would still be worth it. He's still only 25.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#11 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Not likely. He was a professional while playing for Detroit, zero problems with the coaching staff or players.

Once he signed the qualifying offer last summer, 90% of Pistons fans knew he was gone this summer. I can't blame him- he isn't a fit with Drummond. Monroe is best served at center, not power forward. He doesn't have the foot speed to guard mobile fowards, and is a pretty good post defender, despite a lack of rim protection.
UncleP313
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#12 » by UncleP313 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:03 pm

On the outside, yes Monroe looked like a poster child, but in the locker room he was not so much. How do i know this??? Lets just say our former GM and several players had some great conversations with select few at the Barber Shop! #wherethetruthcomeout
SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#13 » by SlobbaN » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Boston are perfect for him. Young up and coming team with enough assets to build with + they can offer him as much as he wants in terms of $.

Return to Wiretap Discussion