Robin Lopez, Knicks Discussing Deal Worth $12M-$13M Per Season

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Robin Lopez, Knicks Discussing Deal Worth $12M-$13M Per Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:59 am

Robin Lopez and the New York Knicks are in discussions on a deal that would pay approximately $12 million or $13 million per season.

The Knicks have identified the frontcourt as their area of need this offseason and have already struck out on LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe.

Lopez spent the past two seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

knicksfan1984
Freshman
And1: 8

Re: Robin Lopez, Knicks Discussing Deal Worth $12M-$13M Per Season 

Post#2 » by knicksfan1984 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:10 am

wow, robin lopez getting 12-13 mil!? we need a center, but not that bad. hopefully this is a 2 year deal.
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#3 » by juduking » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:19 am

knicksfan1984 wrote:wow, robin lopez getting 12-13 mil!? we need a center, but not that bad. hopefully this is a 2 year deal.

When a comparable player in Omer Asik just got 60 million over 5 years, I would say this report is right in line with that contract agreement.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,481

Post#4 » by Woodsanity » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:51 am

knicksfan1984 wrote:wow, robin lopez getting 12-13 mil!? we need a center, but not that bad. hopefully this is a 2 year deal.

Times have changed. 12m is basically the contract for an averagish player now lol.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#5 » by bringinhinkie » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:55 am

but not that bad? have you seen the knicks roster? 12-13mill is not bad for robin lopez.. 100% onboard with this as a knicks fan
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,890

Post#6 » by NashtyNas » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:57 am

This would be amazing for the Knicks. If they can add Afflalo on top, you can say this was a very good off-season.
knicksup19
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#7 » by knicksup19 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:35 am

this is what starting centers go for..

amir Johnson got 12 mil and robin lopez is way better than him
heck SHumpert got 10 mil
ImageThe big three in the House!!! LOL]
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#8 » by damecurry » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:58 am

Woodsanity wrote:

Times have changed. 12m is basically the contract for an averagish player now lol.

Enh, Lopez is a top 100 player, by definition that's significantly better than averageish as there are at least 360 players in the nba by roster minimums, more like 600 floating in and out of D-league and overseas and everything. Yeah, when the cap's going somewhere between 90m and 110m a top 100 player is definitely worth 10m+
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,123

Re: 

Post#9 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:10 am

I_Socrates wrote:This would be amazing for the Knicks. If they can add Afflalo on top, you can say this was a very good off-season.

I agree. Wasn't monumental or earth shaking.... but it can definitely get them out of the cellar of the NBA for next year.

Calderon/Grant (really like grant and think he will take the wheel early)
Afflalo
Melo
Porzingis
Lopez

would make a nicely balanced team!
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Re: 

Post#10 » by damecurry » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:27 am

I_Socrates wrote:This would be amazing for the Knicks. If they can add Afflalo on top, you can say this was a very good off-season.

Really? I mean it wouldn't be bad but what's the roster? galloway/AA/Melo/Porzingis/Rolo with basically no bench? That's a 30 win team I guess, not really what Melo wants...
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,481

Post#11 » by Woodsanity » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:48 am

damecurry wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:

Enh, Lopez is a top 100 player, by definition that's significantly better than averageish as there are at least 360 players in the nba by roster minimums, more like 600 floating in and out of D-league and overseas and everything. Yeah, when the cap's going somewhere between 90m and 110m a top 100 player is definitely worth 10m+

Wasn't implying Lopez was average, he is above average to me but not anything special overall but yea thats about how much an "average" player is worth now which is pretty crazy.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,890

Re: Re: 

Post#12 » by NashtyNas » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:57 am

damecurry wrote:

Really? I mean it wouldn't be bad but what's the roster? galloway/AA/Melo/Porzingis/Rolo with basically no bench? That's a 30 win team I guess, not really what Melo wants...

Yes, really.
I'm not one of those NBA fans that expects every team to sign a player out of a pool of 5 players.
NY was never going to get many of the big names they targeted like Gasol, Aldridge etc.
I think signing Lopez is a far better move than signing Monroe, who is a terrible fit defensively for a team that sorely lacks defense.
Do they need offense? Yes. They need defense more, though.
I'd rather rely on Melo to drop 40 for us to win a game than to defensively on a front court that features Melo, Porzingis and Monroe.
Lopez can change all that quickly. Add in Afflalo's above average wing defense and you've addressed your biggest needs defensively.
I didn't understand why they let Chandler go then, and I don't understand it now.

That doesn't change the fact that these are very good moves for NY - even better than signing guys like Monroe, Harris etc.
Only thing that could have gone better for them was the draft lottery... if they got Towns or Okafor, I'd be even happier for them.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Wiretap Discussion