Celtics Acquire Perry Jones From Thunder

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Celtics Acquire Perry Jones From Thunder 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:32 pm

The Boston Celtics and Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed upon a trade involving Perry Jones III.

The Thunder will save on the luxury tax by unloading Jones.

Jones was the 28th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft out of Baylor and has a career PER of 8.5 in 1,675 career minutes.

Via Steve Bulpett/Boston Herald

CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Re: Celtics Acquire Perry Jones From Thunder 

Post#2 » by CHAMPi0N » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Nice prospect to gamble on for the rebuilding C's. No more space on that OKC roster for young unproven talent.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:53 pm

CHAMPi0N wrote:Nice prospect to gamble on for the rebuilding C's. No more space on that OKC roster for young unproven talent.

Only young proven talent :)

They have to work their magic to pay as little of that tax as possible. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Kanter. Durant and/or Westbrook have to carry this team again, the other 2 guys just have to be on point when their chances come and they have a legitimate chance at coming out of the Western conference. Assuming of course there are no injuries in the meantime.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#4 » by CHAMPi0N » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
CHAMPi0N wrote:Nice prospect to gamble on for the rebuilding C's. No more space on that OKC roster for young unproven talent.

They have to work their magic to pay as little of that tax as possible. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Kanter. Durant and/or Westbrook have to carry this team again, the other 2 guys just have to be on point when their chances come and they have a legitimate chance at coming out of the Western conference. Assuming of course there are no injuries in the meantime.

I'm liking this trade even more now that Celtics are getting a 1st and 2nd rounder... DA strikes again
Mantra
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Mantra » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Thank the Lord. OKC finally got rid of this bum. He's got some talent and athleticism, but his bball IQ is terrible and has proven once again he has no motor. He's going to be madly inconsistent his entire career. Have fun with him Boston!
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#6 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Whats the point for Celtics to take Perry?

On PF spot they already have starter David Lee, really good backup or maybe even starter in Amir Johnson,there is also Jonas Jerebko..Sullinger from last year and rookie Mickey.
Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Post#7 » by Jazzing » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Mantra wrote:Thank the Lord. OKC finally got rid of this bum. He's got some talent and athleticism, but his bball IQ is terrible and has proven once again he has no motor. He's going to be madly inconsistent his entire career. Have fun with him Boston!

Is he that bad?

I watched a game against Miami that Jones was defending LeBron James. So, maybe he has something very good and Brooks didn't like him for some reason.
Mantra
Ballboy

Post#8 » by Mantra » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Jazzing wrote:
Mantra wrote:Thank the Lord. OKC finally got rid of this bum. He's got some talent and athleticism, but his bball IQ is terrible and has proven once again he has no motor. He's going to be madly inconsistent his entire career. Have fun with him Boston!

Is he that bad?

I watched a game against Miami that Jones was defending LeBron James. So, maybe he has something very good and Brooks didn't like him for some reason.

It's just that he's so unmotivated and doesn't work to improve himself. He doesn't have any fire in him, even though he's had the privilege of working with 2 of the hardest working superstars in the NBA. He had that reputation in college, and lived up to it once again in OKC.

If OKC management really felt highly of him, they wouldn't have overpaid for Singler. As it is, they just don't see this guy ever being a winner.
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#9 » by nba2k16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:

No way they get past Clippers or Spurs

CP3/Blake/DJ/Pierce > Durant/WB/Ibaka/Kanter
and
Duncan/Aldrige/Kawhi/Parker > Durant/WB/Ibaka/Kanter
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#10 » by nba2k16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:40 pm

CHAMPi0N wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:

I'm liking this trade even more now that Celtics are getting a 1st and 2nd rounder... DA strikes again

Ima be honest here i have no CLUE what the Celtics are doing. They are aiming for treadmilling territory and keep trading for the same type of player. I swear they have like 7 guys now who are PFs. Not sure what they are doing here
DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Post#11 » by DrClutch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Celtics are getting players who can be traded for a superstar player while maintaining draft picks and decent role players...I can see celtics becoming that top seed in the east once again (like they did with Cassell, PJ, KG, RAY, Posey, Allen & House)
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#12 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 am

nba2k16 wrote:
CHAMPi0N wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Only young proven talent :)

Ima be honest here i have no CLUE what the Celtics are doing. They are aiming for treadmilling territory and keep trading for the same type of player. I swear they have like 7 guys now who are PFs. Not sure what they are doing here
PrimzyBulls81 wrote:Whats the point for Celtics to take Perry?

On PF spot they already have starter David Lee, really good backup or maybe even starter in Amir Johnson,there is also Jonas Jerebko..Sullinger from last year and rookie Mickey.

The Raptors could definitely use another PF...?
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Re: Re: Celtics Acquire Perry Jones From Thunder 

Post#13 » by Lindecision » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:58 am

Boston's treadmill of mediocrity continues!

The Celtics are not getting a superstar with any of their current assets. They're all average at best apart from maybe the Brooklyn pick, but in the weak East Brooklyn could easily make the playoffs and turns that "asset" into "meh". At least the Lakers have Russell and Randle. What does Boston have? Unfortunately Marcus Smart isn't on their level talent-wise.

Seeing how desperate they were to get back into the top 10 on draft night was so vindicating. I'll definitely be pulling for Brooklyn this year so Ainge and the Celtics don't get to cheat the system.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,781

Post#14 » by KamikazeK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:29 am

Lindecision wrote:Boston's treadmill of mediocrity continues!

The Celtics are not getting a superstar with any of their current assets. They're all average at best apart from maybe the Brooklyn pick, but in the weak East Brooklyn could easily make the playoffs and turns that "asset" into "meh". At least the Lakers have Russell and Randle. What does Boston have? Unfortunately Marcus Smart isn't on their level talent-wise.

Seeing how desperate they were to get back into the top 10 on draft night was so vindicating. I'll definitely be pulling for Brooklyn this year so Ainge and the Celtics don't get to cheat the system.

Huh?? :o

How is it "cheating the system" to try to put a competitive team out there on the floor while also rebuilding? I'll take that over tanking any day of the week.

Are you seriously telling me that tanking is "the right way" to do things? Give me a break. This is competition. You're supposed to try to win.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,781

Re: Re: Re: Celtics Acquire Perry Jones From Thunder 

Post#15 » by KamikazeK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:01 am

Lindecision wrote:
KamikazeK wrote:

How is it "cheating the system" to try to put a competitive team out there on the floor while also rebuilding? I'll take that over tanking any day of the week.

Are you seriously telling me that tanking is "the right way" to do things? Give me a break. This is competition. You're supposed to try to win.

Because the current system incentivizes losing for top draft picks. Rightly or wrongly, that's the system. There's a very long precedence for success through tanking with the likes of Hakeem Olajuwon, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Blake Griffin, Steph Curry, etc. Its pretty arrogant of anyone to think they can build a championship team without tanking for top talent. Hence, cheating the system.

:noway:
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Re: Re: Re: Celtics Acquire Perry Jones From Thunder 

Post#16 » by Lindecision » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:01 am

KamikazeK wrote:

Because the current system incentivizes losing for top draft picks. Rightly or wrongly, that's the system. Hence, cheating the system.
There's also a very long precedence for success through tanking with the likes of Hakeem Olajuwon, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Blake Griffin, Steph Curry, etc. Its pretty arrogant of anyone to think they can build a championship team without tanking for top talent.

If you'd rather not tank then you'd better be ok with the treadmill of mediocrity.
GSWBlooded93
Junior
And1: 88

Post#17 » by GSWBlooded93 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 am

Can't believe we were at one point thinking of drafting him at #7 for the Warriors, luckily he kept falling. Definitely doesn't have the mindset of the players the Warriors are looking for if what everyone has said above is true about being unmotivated.
Praj
Freshman

Post#18 » by Praj » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:03 am

If ever any coach can develop him and motivate him into a functional 3 and D player, that will be super :D :D I believe Brad Stevens can make that happen
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#19 » by Bball0000 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:22 am

Lindecision wrote: At least the Lakers have Russell and Randle. What does Boston have? Unfortunately Marcus Smart isn't on their level talent-wise.

I'll take Marcus Smart over Russell & Randle. He's a competitor and will be a future all star.
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#20 » by Whetzell » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 am

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:Whats the point for Celtics to take Perry?

He's a small forward.

Return to Wiretap Discussion