Lakers Expect Kobe Bryant To Play Some Minutes At Power Forward

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:53 am

Kobe Bryant could play some minutes at power forward for the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

Jordan Clarkson, D'Angelo Russell and Lou Williams will receive a significant portion of the backcourt minutes, leaving Bryant at small forward and even power forward.

"If we don't get another guard, then Kobe's in that mix," Scott said. "I'm kind of going through those scenarios. But not necessarily as far as who's starting and who doesn't ... I think (Bryant) will play more three than two. If we can get him at the elbows and at the mid-post, the more effective he'll be. I don't think he needs to be using up the whole 94-foot floor. If we can cut that down some, I think that saves his legs as much as possible. But if we can get him where he operates best, which to me is elbows on each area, top of the key, at the pinch post, at the mid-post, then I think he can be real effective for us."

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com

FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Re: Lakers Expect Kobe Bryant To Play Some Minutes At Power Forward 

Post#2 » by FreeBoosie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 am

Huge Kobe fan here, always have been and always will be but let's be realistic. How would he guard power forwards like Blake, Z-Bo, Aldridge, etc. Unless Lakers are trying to force Kobe into retirement by getting him hurt or something, it's a terrible idea lol
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:32 am

FreeBoosie wrote:Huge Kobe fan here, always have been and always will be but let's be realistic. How would he guard power forwards like Blake, Z-Bo, Aldridge, etc. Unless Lakers are trying to force Kobe into retirement by getting him hurt or something, it's a terrible idea lol

You are looking at it wrong. How are they going to guard him on offense. Where as those players will still have to rely on other players to get them the ball Kobe can take it down the court himself and make things happen.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#4 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:36 am

FreeBoosie wrote:Huge Kobe fan here, always have been and always will be but let's be realistic. How would he guard power forwards like Blake, Z-Bo, Aldridge, etc. Unless Lakers are trying to force Kobe into retirement by getting him hurt or something, it's a terrible idea lol

Magic played PF during his last season with the lakers, and he's only a PG.

LOL -- Kobe at PF... there's small ball, and then there's small brains, and it seems clear what Byron Scott has.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#5 » by olive_triangurl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 am

Bring it on.
AllegedRascal
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#6 » by AllegedRascal » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:38 am

12footrim wrote:

You are looking at it wrong. How are they going to guard him on offense. Where as those players will still have to rely on other players to get them the ball Kobe can take it down the court himself and make things happen.

LMAOOOO have you watched an NBA game ever? If it were that simple, every team in the league would play 5 guards.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,406

Post#7 » by Revived » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:

LOL -- Kobe at PF... there's small ball, and then there's small brains, and it seems clear what Byron Scott has.

Magic was 6'9, that's bigger than many actual PFs in the league today.

Kobe isn't close to having his size.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#8 » by olive_triangurl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:55 am

Plus Magic was doing a lot of playmaking from the post (albeit as a PG) even as far back as 1990.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#9 » by Raptor_Guy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Making Kobe play a more physically demanding position..what could go wrong!
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#10 » by LiSTWithLani » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:19 pm

SF88 wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:

Magic was 6'9, that's bigger than many actual PFs in the league today.

Kobe isn't close to having his size.

Agree with this 100%. How can you compare a 6'9" 220+lb guy with extremely craftiness, court vision and basketball IQ in the 80s to a 6'6" 210 guy in the 2000s that is a shoot first, killer mentality, student of the game? Magic had the size, especially in his later years to hang with the big guys, whereas Kobe would get pinned by almost every forward on the low block and get a layup. If they miss? They tip in their own board, because Kobe does not have the size to manage them down low.

The only positive is that the Lakers are shooting for a high draft pick, so play Kobe wherever you want!
16lakes
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by 16lakes » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Where is the actual quote/ source that says he will play minutes at PF? The quote only said anything about SF...
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#12 » by 6_Rings » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Scott has finally gone full (Please Use More Appropriate Word)
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#13 » by the_process » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q[/youtube]

I think this clip might just sum up the Lakers season. Just don't let them win the lottery this year and it's all good. :lol:
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm

AllegedRascal wrote:
12footrim wrote:

LMAOOOO have you watched an NBA game ever? If it were that simple, every team in the league would play 5 guards.

Absolutely, including my last memories just a month ago of the finals where both teams in the finals went small. The Warriors infact won 67 games and had one of the most historic seasons ever with point differential, wins, championship etc with their crunch time line up all year was a 6-7, 240lb center, 6-8 225lb slim wing at PF.

You think Kobe can't make teams pay more than Harrison Barnes can? Kobe's been 225lb band likely will bulk back up there in the off season since they want to play him at SF and his wingspan is the same as Barnes.

I wonder if you even watch the games because there were plenty of examples the last few years of teams playing small and dictating that these lumbering PF's and centers took a seat or moved up to Center because the smaller teams are exploiting the post players on the offensive end more than they can them since they depend on being got the ball in certain positions.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
CEOSports
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#15 » by CEOSports » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:41 pm

I don't think any of you understand the purpose of this 4 position is sort of in relation to what the Warriors did this year with utilizing Draymond Green. I'm not saying the Lakers are at all in Championship contention, but that matchup of Green vs Bryant definitely works in the Lakers position with regards to Kobe being able to do what he wants with Green. Furthermore, as you saw the effectiveness with Paul Pierce playing the stretch 4 at some periods (and even Carmelo Anthony) it will be asked of many other 4s in the league to have to be able to guard him. Defensively its another issue, but putting a mobile perimeter player in at the 4 position will require the opposing team to adjust or suffer the consequences.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#16 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Yeah okey,that Kobe will play some SF minutes..but PF??? :lol:
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:50 pm

CEOSports wrote:I don't think any of you understand the purpose of this 4 position is sort of in relation to what the Warriors did this year with utilizing Draymond Green.

I don't think you guys understand the context here or even what I said. No one has said Kobe will start at PF or play most of his time there. They just said he would be used there some, presumably in lineups where it was favorable. Every NBA teams is playing guys like that at the 4 times during the game.

As far as the Warriors Harrison Barnes played 85% of his minutes at PF last year and 10% at Center even according to basketball reference in the regular season. If he can do that a similar sized and wingspan Kobe could manage and certainly make teams pay on the offensive end more.

I'm just going to assume Kobe goes back to 225-230lbs he was at in 2006 since they want him to play SF a lot.

Kobe 6-6, 225 with 6-11 wingspan, 8.9" standing reach
Barnes 6-8, 225 with 6-11.25 wingspan, 8.5.5" standing reach

Not much difference size wise.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#18 » by RingsDontLie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:53 pm

I know Kobe can play SF before, but he has been looking really skinny lately. I don't think he has the body to play SF right now any way. Oh and there has been zero updates regarding his health or his timeline. Did google searches, lakers.com search, etc. Nothing in regards to Kobe except him watching soccer a lot.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:I know Kobe can play SF before, but he has been looking really skinny lately. I don't think he has the body to play SF right now any way. Oh and there has been zero updates regarding his health or his timeline. Did google searches, lakers.com search, etc. Nothing in regards to Kobe except him watching soccer a lot.

He did look kind of slim but so did Lebron and Carmelo last year in pictures. He's got time. My weight fluxuates depending on if I'm lifting or cutting anywhere from 170-200 it's been, currently on a cut and I have no doubt I could add 10-15 lean pounds in a month or two if I wanted too especially if you use supplements and take a break. Muscles doesn't forget and he's been probably 230+ playing weight at times. It's a lot harder to stay slim than bulk up at 37 years old, that's for sure.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#20 » by MitchB3 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

What the Lakers are doing make me feel disgusted by them. So you sign Kobe to a two deal and now instead of letting him play out his contract you are going to force him to a position that has him competing against either up and coming SF or establish SF; that is sad.

Now for Byron Scott, he makes me sick. So instead of keeping Kobe at his natural position you want to move him. What sense does that make? When I think of Shooting Guards, I think of Kobe, D-Wade, Klay, Harden, Monta Ellis. I went from thinking the Lakers could possibly make a run for the playoffs not now seeing they're only in the beginning of rebuilding.

Return to Wiretap Discussion