Report: Greg Oden To Sign With Jiangu Dragons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Report: Greg Oden To Sign With Jiangu Dragons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Greg Oden will sign with the Jiangsu Dragons of China, according to the team's general manager.

Oden didn't play last season after spending the 13-14 season with the Miami Heat.

Oden has battled injuries throughout his career.

Via Hupu

Phoen-X
Sophomore
And1: 12

Re: Report: Greg Oden To Sign With Jiangu Dragons 

Post#2 » by Phoen-X » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 pm

I don't get why those borderline NBA players go to China instead of Europe. The lifestyle is way closer to the one they have in the US.
Okafor - Noel - Saric - Wroten - Embiid
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:05 am

Phoen-X wrote:I don't get why those borderline NBA players go to China instead of Europe. The lifestyle is way closer to the one they have in the US.

China pays a lot more than Europe and the competition is weaker - lol that is why Stephon Marbury is a HOF there. And it's guys who are washed up that even seek leagues outside the nba so clearly they are playing more for money than fame and competition.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#4 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am

Usually it's China that sends us broken sh*t
gmehl1977
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#5 » by gmehl1977 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 am

Hopefully Oden can have one of those awesome happy endings (Chinese style)
dragula15
Junior
And1: 293

Post#6 » by dragula15 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:56 am

Sam195 wrote:
Phoen-X wrote:I don't get why those borderline NBA players go to China instead of Europe. The lifestyle is way closer to the one they have in the US.

China pays a lot more than Europe and the competition is weaker - lol that is why Stephon Marbury is a HOF there. And it's guys who are washed up that even seek leagues outside the nba so clearly they are playing more for money than fame and competition.

It's a good way for NBA afterthoughts to get exposure, put up huge numbers against weak competition. Just look at who leads the league in scoring, and those averages (!!!)

Player / PPG / NBA career avg:
Willie Warren / 38.9 / 1.9
Dominique Jones / 36.8 / 3.1
Von Wafer / 32.5 / 5.3
Josh Akognon / 31.9 / 1.7
Bobby Brown / 31.3 / 5.1
Lester Hudson / 31.2 / 4.7
Andray Blatche / 31.1 / 10.1
Justin Dentmon / 30.4 / 3.3
Michael Beasley / 28.6 / 13
Jianlian Yi / 27.7 / 7.9
Pooh Jeter / 25.9 / 4.1
Toney Douglas / 24.9 / 7.6
Randolph Morris / 24.8 / 1.9
Ike Diogu / 23 / 6
Mike Harris / 22.9 / 3.4
Jeremy Tyler / 22.1 / 3.6
Hamed Haddadi / 20.4 / 2.2
Shelden Williams / 19.7 / 4.5
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#7 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:16 am

Sam195 wrote:

I'd also imagine sponsorship bucks would also be more than in Europe.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Phoen-X
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#8 » by Phoen-X » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:37 am

Sam195 wrote:

Are the salaries really bigger in China than in the big european teams (Spain, Turkey...)? And even if it's the case, I would pick the team that would pay me 20% less but where there's no risk of not getting paid (look at the Iverson drama out there).
The weaker competition is a valid point though.
Okafor - Noel - Saric - Wroten - Embiid
SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#9 » by SlobbaN » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:05 am

Even Billie King and Phil wouldn't give this scrub a minimum contract, so he has to go and con a chinese team for living ))
Hakimbrook46
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Hakimbrook46 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Oden's probably tryna make his way back into the nba. He's jst probably testing his health first for some time 'till that giant move. I'm guessing he didn't opt China 'cuz no NBA team rendered him atleast a one year tryout contract. Remember, he was picked 1st ahead of top 59 others! C'mon, y'all would make same move as him if y'all were him and smart.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#11 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Phoen-X wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Are the salaries really bigger in China than in the big european teams (Spain, Turkey...)? And even if it's the case, I would pick the team that would pay me 20% less but where there's no risk of not getting paid (look at the Iverson drama out there).
The weaker competition is a valid point though.

I think Greg Oden would actually devalue himself if he went to play in Europe. While the players aren't as physically built as they are in the NBA - they are very skilled in their basketball moves/IQ...especially big men. For someone coming off injury and looking to get their form back...not sure getting schooled by mobile big men in Europe is the best way to go :)

I think weaker competition is the main reason (and the money doesn't hurt either).
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#12 » by MegaK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Hakimbrook46 wrote:Oden's probably tryna make his way back into the nba. He's jst probably testing his health first for some time 'till that giant move. I'm guessing he didn't opt China 'cuz no NBA team rendered him atleast a one year tryout contract. Remember, he was picked 1st ahead of top 59 others! C'mon, y'all would make same move as him if y'all were him and smart.

Oden was the man in college. Unfortunately he could not stay healthy in the NBA. I don't think teams are so willing to give him a 1 year "try out" contract at this point. He just can't do anything at the NBA level for whatever reason. The rationale that he was the 1st pick in a draft so he's worth a try is nonsense also. Kwame Brown was a 1st pick, enough said.
Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Post#13 » by Jazzing » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Hakimbrook46 wrote:Oden's probably tryna make his way back into the nba.

He had the chance to actually PLAY with the Hornets Pelicans, but instead he choose to riding Lebron James' coattails in Miami...

I hope he never play at NBA again.

Edit: team. -_-
Hakimbrook46
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Hakimbrook46 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Jazzing wrote:
Hakimbrook46 wrote:Oden's probably tryna make his way back into the nba.

He had the chance to actually PLAY with the Hornets, but instead he choose to riding Lebron James' coattails in Miami...

I hope he never play at NBA again.

Yeah, amen to that.
Hakimbrook46
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Hakimbrook46 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:17 pm

MegaK wrote:
Hakimbrook46 wrote:Oden's probably tryna make his way back into the nba. He's jst probably testing his health first for some time 'till that giant move. I'm guessing he didn't opt China 'cuz no NBA team rendered him atleast a one year tryout contract. Remember, he was picked 1st ahead of top 59 others! C'mon, y'all would make same move as him if y'all were him and smart.

Oden was the man in college. Unfortunately he could not stay healthy in the NBA. I don't think teams are so willing to give him a 1 year "try out" contract at this point. He just can't do anything at the NBA level for whatever reason. The rationale that he was the 1st pick in a draft so he's worth a try is nonsense also. Kwame Brown was a 1st pick, enough said.

While the Kwame brown reference occured to me beforehand, i find you driving right at my point about his health 'cuz right now it's the only factor affecting his NBA situation obviously and if not for it we both know he woulda still been hanging in the NBA somewhere. Now would you disagree if i told you Oden was an absolute defensive wizard and had quite a solid average number of rebouds too for a center earlier in his career with Blazers? No, u wouldn't. Also, i really don't think of a single thing besides perhaps setting a rigid pick & roll screen that Kendrick Perkins can do while Oden can't, yet Perkins still gets room in the NBA while Oden doesn't. Get a life, man! People simply always expected him to put up the numbers of a 1st pick and that's it.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#16 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:48 pm

I think he's projecting to secure a 1 year VM deal in 16-17 and then sign a long term deal at 29 for 17-18 season and beyond. With cap rising over next few years, Im sure he just wants the ability to make another $10 million for whats left of his pro basketball career.

Return to Wiretap Discussion