Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016

Moderators: Domejandro, -Sammy-, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 78,906
And1: 215
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Anthony Davis would prefer to win a gold medal in the 2016 Olympics over the NBA's regular season Most Valuable Player award for the 15-16 season.


Davis won a gold medal in 2012 before he played in a single NBA game.


I"’d say gold medal only because it comes every four years and you don’t know if you’ll play again," said Davis when asked his preference by Chris Palmer. "You can get a chance to win an MVP every year. I experience the gold the first time and there was nothing like it."


Davis finished fifth in voting last season behind Stephen Curry, James Harden, LeBron James and Russell Westbrook.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Sam195
Analyst
Posts: 3,278
And1: 304
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:37 pm

This is a great answer from Davis truly from the heart. Anthony Davis and Stephen Curry have got to be two of the most loved athletes in all of Sports. Still bugs me to this day that there was a small possibility they could have played on the same warriors team. Warriors tanked in the 2011-12 season to keep their draft pick (protected from a trade) and had they won the lottery they would have drafted davis to pair with a healthy curry. Warriors didn't win the lottery and ended up drafting Harrison Barnes who is a solid addition and also snapped up draymond green in the 2nd round that year. But imagining a Curry-Davis tandem - young guns producing elite shooting and defense would probably have produced a dynasty that could topple jordan's bulls and definitely lebron's heat. Warriors also would still have klay thompson and andrew bogut. And igoudala to the warriors was destined to happen since the warriors gm was his former agent and iggy also had a close relationship with mark jackson even before signing with the team.
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#3 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:01 am

Sam195 wrote:This is a great answer from Davis truly from the heart. Anthony Davis and Stephen Curry have got to be two of the most loved athletes in all of Sports. Still bugs me to this day that there was a small possibility they could have played on the same warriors team. Warriors tanked in the 2011-12 season to keep their draft pick (protected from a trade) and had they won the lottery they would have drafted davis to pair with a healthy curry. Warriors didn't win the lottery and ended up drafting Harrison Barnes who is a solid addition and also snapped up draymond green in the 2nd round that year. But imagining a Curry-Davis tandem - young guns producing elite shooting and defense would probably have produced a dynasty that could topple jordan's bulls and definitely lebron's heat. Warriors also would still have klay thompson and andrew bogut. And igoudala to the warriors was destined to happen since the warriors gm was his former agent and iggy also had a close relationship with mark jackson even before signing with the team.


Umm you make it sound like the Warriors had a really good shot at the 1st pick. Their chances were sooo slim given where they picked

Also I agree on the most loved athletes, but I'd say in basketball, not all sports. What I would also say is that this won't last long with Steph Curry. He will soon become hated once he gets his new contract and his family is overexposed in the media
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#4 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:02 am

If I'm the Pelicans, I don't like this answer. Not wanting to be MVP means not wanting to the best player he could possibly be for the Pelicans. Playing for your country is important, but the Pelicans better hope Gentry knocks some sense into him. That team has the potential to be good!
Sam195
Analyst
Posts: 3,278
And1: 304
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:36 am

nba2k16 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:This is a great answer from Davis truly from the heart. Anthony Davis and Stephen Curry have got to be two of the most loved athletes in all of Sports. Still bugs me to this day that there was a small possibility they could have played on the same warriors team. Warriors tanked in the 2011-12 season to keep their draft pick (protected from a trade) and had they won the lottery they would have drafted davis to pair with a healthy curry. Warriors didn't win the lottery and ended up drafting Harrison Barnes who is a solid addition and also snapped up draymond green in the 2nd round that year. But imagining a Curry-Davis tandem - young guns producing elite shooting and defense would probably have produced a dynasty that could topple jordan's bulls and definitely lebron's heat. Warriors also would still have klay thompson and andrew bogut. And igoudala to the warriors was destined to happen since the warriors gm was his former agent and iggy also had a close relationship with mark jackson even before signing with the team.


Umm you make it sound like the Warriors had a really good shot at the 1st pick. Their chances were sooo slim given where they picked

Also I agree on the most loved athletes, but I'd say in basketball, not all sports. What I would also say is that this won't last long with Steph Curry. He will soon become hated once he gets his new contract and his family is overexposed in the media


lol I meant they had a shot - and I don't think Curry is going to be hated at all especially if he sticks with the warriors the rest of his career. The dude is hard worker and team-first guy. He had serious ankle issues similar in quality to the acl tears of late that has happened to many athletes and he came back and won mvp. You couldn't even detect an ounce of jealousy from Curry when igoudala won finals mvp or harden won league mvp as the players pick - no media reports like nothing. The only thing some may dislike about curry is like what you said about his family - they are getting too over exposed. I get it if you bring your kids to the post game presser after winning a title but bringing them to every post game press conference win or lose of the entire playoffs is just annoying. And a lot of players are following suit - and the media as well as the die-hard fans who watch these pressers are beginning to get peeved. Answers to serious ball questions shouldn't end with - look how cute she is or asking the kid if they have anything to say.
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#6 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:40 am

Sam195 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:This is a great answer from Davis truly from the heart. Anthony Davis and Stephen Curry have got to be two of the most loved athletes in all of Sports. Still bugs me to this day that there was a small possibility they could have played on the same warriors team. Warriors tanked in the 2011-12 season to keep their draft pick (protected from a trade) and had they won the lottery they would have drafted davis to pair with a healthy curry. Warriors didn't win the lottery and ended up drafting Harrison Barnes who is a solid addition and also snapped up draymond green in the 2nd round that year. But imagining a Curry-Davis tandem - young guns producing elite shooting and defense would probably have produced a dynasty that could topple jordan's bulls and definitely lebron's heat. Warriors also would still have klay thompson and andrew bogut. And igoudala to the warriors was destined to happen since the warriors gm was his former agent and iggy also had a close relationship with mark jackson even before signing with the team.


Umm you make it sound like the Warriors had a really good shot at the 1st pick. Their chances were sooo slim given where they picked

Also I agree on the most loved athletes, but I'd say in basketball, not all sports. What I would also say is that this won't last long with Steph Curry. He will soon become hated once he gets his new contract and his family is overexposed in the media


lol I meant they had a shot - and I don't think Curry is going to be hated at all especially if he sticks with the warriors the rest of his career. The dude is hard worker and team-first guy. He had serious ankle issues similar in quality to the acl tears of late that has happened to many athletes and he came back and won mvp. You couldn't even detect an ounce of jealousy from Curry when igoudala won finals mvp or harden won league mvp as the players pick - no media reports like nothing. The only thing some may dislike about curry is like what you said about his family - they are getting too over exposed. I get it if you bring your kids to the post game presser after winning a title but bringing them to every post game press conference win or lose of the entire playoffs is just annoying. And a lot of players are following suit - and the media as well as the die-hard fans who watch these pressers are beginning to get peeved. Answers to serious ball questions shouldn't end with - look how cute she is or asking the kid if they have anything to say.


But just the fact he brings Riley to the pressers is such a big deal. He's basically become a trailblazer for that and it's distracting from the real basketball interview. If you want to show off, show off on the court with your shot, don't bring your daughter to the presser, there is LITERALLY no reason for it. She can stay away from you for 10 minutes
MitchB3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,584
And1: 78
Joined: Jul 04, 2014
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:47 am

nba2k16 wrote:If I'm the Pelicans, I don't like this answer. Not wanting to be MVP means not wanting to the best player he could possibly be for the Pelicans. Playing for your country is important, but the Pelicans better hope Gentry knocks some sense into him. That team has the potential to be good!


That's if Gentry doesn't run him to the ground.
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#8 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 am

MitchB3 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:If I'm the Pelicans, I don't like this answer. Not wanting to be MVP means not wanting to the best player he could possibly be for the Pelicans. Playing for your country is important, but the Pelicans better hope Gentry knocks some sense into him. That team has the potential to be good!


That's if Gentry doesn't run him to the ground.


Why would Gentry do that?

They signed him instead of Tom Thibodeau for a reason 8-)
MitchB3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,584
And1: 78
Joined: Jul 04, 2014
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:51 am

nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:If I'm the Pelicans, I don't like this answer. Not wanting to be MVP means not wanting to the best player he could possibly be for the Pelicans. Playing for your country is important, but the Pelicans better hope Gentry knocks some sense into him. That team has the potential to be good!


That's if Gentry doesn't run him to the ground.


Why would Gentry do that?

They signed him instead of Tom Thibodeau for a reason 8-)


Just like Coach Thibs can run him down on the Defensive end, Gentry can do the same on the offensive end.
MitchB3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,584
And1: 78
Joined: Jul 04, 2014
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:54 am

I would have to agree with AD on this one a little bit, winning a gold medal is a once in a life time opportunity matter of fact receiving an invite to come tryout for the team is an opportunity. He can win the MVP any year but playing for team USA is an amazing offer that should be taken advantage off.
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#11 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:54 am

MitchB3 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
That's if Gentry doesn't run him to the ground.


Why would Gentry do that?

They signed him instead of Tom Thibodeau for a reason 8-)


Just like Coach Thibs can run him down on the Defensive end, Gentry can do the same on the offensive end.


Ok what makes you think he will? Gentry isn't known as the offensive Thibs
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#12 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:56 am

MitchB3 wrote:I would have to agree with AD on this one a little bit, winning a gold medal is a once in a life time opportunity matter of fact receiving an invite to come tryout for the team is an opportunity. He can win the MVP any year but playing for team USA is an amazing offer that should be taken advantage off.


It's statistically easier for him to win a gold medal with USA than it is to win an MVP. In the MVP race, he's high up on the list, but has to compete with guys like Lebron, CP3, Curry, Harden and Durant for it. For Team USA we have a 95% chance of winning gold. We are sooo stacked. So it's not a once in a lifetime opportunity. In fact, he can likely win FOUR gold medals easily!
MitchB3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,584
And1: 78
Joined: Jul 04, 2014
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#13 » by MitchB3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:02 am

[gfycat][/gfycat]
nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:I would have to agree with AD on this one a little bit, winning a gold medal is a once in a life time opportunity matter of fact receiving an invite to come tryout for the team is an opportunity. He can win the MVP any year but playing for team USA is an amazing offer that should be taken advantage off.


It's statistically easier for him to win a gold medal with USA than it is to win an MVP. In the MVP race, he's high up on the list, but has to compete with guys like Lebron, CP3, Curry, Harden and Durant for it. For Team USA we have a 95% chance of winning gold. We are sooo stacked. So it's not a once in a lifetime opportunity. In fact, he can likely win FOUR gold medals easily!



I'm going to have to stop you right there, did you add CP3 in the list of MVP candidates? Listen certain players shouldn't be worried about being most valuable when they can't even get their team out the second round.

So if playing for TEAM USA isn't a once a lifetime opportunity then why don't we have more players getting invited? Please answer me that?
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#14 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:06 am

MitchB3 wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]
nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:I would have to agree with AD on this one a little bit, winning a gold medal is a once in a life time opportunity matter of fact receiving an invite to come tryout for the team is an opportunity. He can win the MVP any year but playing for team USA is an amazing offer that should be taken advantage off.


It's statistically easier for him to win a gold medal with USA than it is to win an MVP. In the MVP race, he's high up on the list, but has to compete with guys like Lebron, CP3, Curry, Harden and Durant for it. For Team USA we have a 95% chance of winning gold. We are sooo stacked. So it's not a once in a lifetime opportunity. In fact, he can likely win FOUR gold medals easily!



I'm going to have to stop you right there, did you add CP3 in the list of MVP candidates? Listen certain players shouldn't be worried about being most valuable when they can't even get their team out the second round.

So if playing for TEAM USA isn't a once a lifetime opportunity then why don't we have more players getting invited? Please answer me that?


This is why there is such a thing as reading comprehension. I said it is easier FOR HIM. Not for the average player, for HIM. He is GUARANTEED a spot on Team USA given his talent, so this comparison was specifically for the Brow. This would be a totally different argument for a lower level player.

And as for your 2nd round comment, I wouldn't be talking, have you seen the Lakers? Or for this year, should i say Chuck City?
MitchB3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,584
And1: 78
Joined: Jul 04, 2014
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#15 » by MitchB3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:14 am

nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]
nba2k16 wrote:
It's statistically easier for him to win a gold medal with USA than it is to win an MVP. In the MVP race, he's high up on the list, but has to compete with guys like Lebron, CP3, Curry, Harden and Durant for it. For Team USA we have a 95% chance of winning gold. We are sooo stacked. So it's not a once in a lifetime opportunity. In fact, he can likely win FOUR gold medals easily!



I'm going to have to stop you right there, did you add CP3 in the list of MVP candidates? Listen certain players shouldn't be worried about being most valuable when they can't even get their team out the second round.

So if playing for TEAM USA isn't a once a lifetime opportunity then why don't we have more players getting invited? Please answer me that?


This is why there is such a thing as reading comprehension. I said it is easier FOR HIM. Not for the average player, for HIM. He is GUARANTEED a spot on Team USA given his talent, so this comparison was specifically for the Brow. This would be a totally different argument for a lower level player.

And as for your 2nd round comment, I wouldn't be talking, have you seen the Lakers? Or for this year, should i say Chuck City?



What exactly does the Lakers have to do with the conversation? I'm guessing you're a Clipper fan? I have two words for you 16 Championships.

Now, I'm not going to even answer the other part of your comment because you don't get what I'm saying.
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#16 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:20 am

MitchB3 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]


I'm going to have to stop you right there, did you add CP3 in the list of MVP candidates? Listen certain players shouldn't be worried about being most valuable when they can't even get their team out the second round.

So if playing for TEAM USA isn't a once a lifetime opportunity then why don't we have more players getting invited? Please answer me that?


This is why there is such a thing as reading comprehension. I said it is easier FOR HIM. Not for the average player, for HIM. He is GUARANTEED a spot on Team USA given his talent, so this comparison was specifically for the Brow. This would be a totally different argument for a lower level player.

And as for your 2nd round comment, I wouldn't be talking, have you seen the Lakers? Or for this year, should i say Chuck City?



What exactly does the Lakers have to do with the conversation? I'm guessing you're a Clipper fan? I have two words for you 16 Championships.

Now, I'm not going to even answer the other part of your comment because you don't get what I'm saying.


Yeah, good answer, didn't know how to respond so you will just end with "you don't get what I'm saying". I don't get it because it doesn't make sense.

You attacked my team (nice try pretending like you don't know I am a Clippers fan so you can attack my team and then pretend you just found out; as if you can't see the team logos on the side). Congrats you won chips in the past, what does that have to do with how bad your team is now and how the Clippers have legit chip aspirations?
MitchB3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,584
And1: 78
Joined: Jul 04, 2014
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:49 am

nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
This is why there is such a thing as reading comprehension. I said it is easier FOR HIM. Not for the average player, for HIM. He is GUARANTEED a spot on Team USA given his talent, so this comparison was specifically for the Brow. This would be a totally different argument for a lower level player.

And as for your 2nd round comment, I wouldn't be talking, have you seen the Lakers? Or for this year, should i say Chuck City?



What exactly does the Lakers have to do with the conversation? I'm guessing you're a Clipper fan? I have two words for you 16 Championships.

Now, I'm not going to even answer the other part of your comment because you don't get what I'm saying.


Yeah, good answer, didn't know how to respond so you will just end with "you don't get what I'm saying". I don't get it because it doesn't make sense.

You attacked my team (nice try pretending like you don't know I am a Clippers fan so you can attack my team and then pretend you just found out; as if you can't see the team logos on the side). Congrats you won chips in the past, what does that have to do with how bad your team is now and how the Clippers have legit chip aspirations?



Your talking about its easy for him to win a gold medal (which by the way I didn't know the team was only consisting of Anthony Davis). I'm talking about the fact that he might not see like that, HE MIGHT ACTUALLY SEE IT AS BEING A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY. You might see it as well he could make every time because he's Anthony Davis but that not really true, because you still have players like Damian Lillard who did not make the team. You can't entirely say well because he's Anthony he automatically has a spot.

Now I don't really pay much attention to the side part. You say its the past but yet Los Angeles still belongs to the Lakers?
nba2k16
Banned User
Posts: 2,679
And1: 212
Joined: Jul 10, 2015

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#18 » by nba2k16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:52 am

MitchB3 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

What exactly does the Lakers have to do with the conversation? I'm guessing you're a Clipper fan? I have two words for you 16 Championships.

Now, I'm not going to even answer the other part of your comment because you don't get what I'm saying.


Yeah, good answer, didn't know how to respond so you will just end with "you don't get what I'm saying". I don't get it because it doesn't make sense.

You attacked my team (nice try pretending like you don't know I am a Clippers fan so you can attack my team and then pretend you just found out; as if you can't see the team logos on the side). Congrats you won chips in the past, what does that have to do with how bad your team is now and how the Clippers have legit chip aspirations?



Your talking about its easy for him to win a gold medal (which by the way I didn't know the team was only consisting of Anthony Davis). I'm talking about the fact that he might not see like that, HE MIGHT ACTUALLY SEE IT AS BEING A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY. You might see it as well he could make every time because he's Anthony Davis but that not really true, because you still have players like Damian Lillard who did not make the team. You can't entirely say well because he's Anthony he automatically has a spot.

Now I don't really pay much attention to the side part. You say its the past but yet Los Angeles still belongs to the Lakers?


What? Did you suddenly forget English when you posted this?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 31,615
And1: 5,755
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#19 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:06 pm

and everybody swoons because he says what we want to hear
Image
User avatar
MaxRider
RealGM
Posts: 44,473
And1: 5,803
Joined: Jun 08, 2005
Location: Choke City
 

Re: Anthony Davis Would Rather Win Gold Than MVP In 2016 

Post#20 » by MaxRider » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Champ > Gold > MVP

Return to Wiretap Discussion