Flip Saunders Unlikely To Return As Head Coach This Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Flip Saunders Unlikely To Return As Head Coach This Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 2, 2015 4:42 pm

Flip Saunders is unlikely to return to the sidelines as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves this season, according to Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.

"There’s no question things have changed dramatically since the team announced his diagnosis in August, back when it quoted his doctors saying the cancer was very treatable and curable," wrote Zgoda. "Since then there have been changes to the way his body handled the chemotherapy (and maybe how much cancer they’ve found) that have made it life threatening. Everyone involved has gone radio silent because of the family’s request for privacy and federal patient-privacy laws, etc., but between the complete silence, the lack of people visiting as far as I can tell apart from his immediate family and very inner circle while he remains hospitalized here in Minneapolis and the things I’m hearing second-hand, well, none of it is good. I’ll just say this, and this is just my own opinion, if he pulls through this: I doubt very much he’s back this year, it’s probably unlikely he coaches again just because of the stress inherent doing both those jobs and I think there’s a pretty good chance he doesn’t return full time to either job."

"As far as the franchise goes, that will put them in a holding pattern for some time. I can’t see Glen Taylor allowing Milt Newton and Sam to make a major decision until they know more about Flip’s future and Glen decides who will run his team for the long term. I wouldn’t assume it’ll be Milt and Sam going forward, that’s just for the short term until things become clearer."

Via Jerry Zgoda/Star Tribune

DrClutch
Junior
And1: 23

Re: Flip Saunders Unlikely To Return As Head Coach This Season 

Post#2 » by DrClutch » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:08 pm

Please flip get Tom Thibodeau, JvG or honestly D"Anotoni who could make Rubio play in a beautiful PG system(u can get a defensive coach for him like KG lol)
rousa27
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#3 » by rousa27 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:14 pm

DrClutch wrote:Please flip get Tom Thibodeau, JvG or honestly D"Anotoni who could make Rubio play in a beautiful PG system(u can get a defensive coach for him like KG lol)

Bringing in a well-respected head coach for this year that turns to an assistant role next year would be a decent idea.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#4 » by caronimo » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:28 pm

wishing you a quick recovery and full health flip!
tasball
Senior
And1: 57

Post#5 » by tasball » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:30 pm

Good luck Flip with your treatment and hope for the best.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#6 » by Note30 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:29 pm

DrClutch wrote:Please flip get Tom Thibodeau, JvG or honestly D"Anotoni who could make Rubio play in a beautiful PG system(u can get a defensive coach for him like KG lol)

I rather have Rubio coach.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#7 » by A1FromDay1 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:50 pm

Note30 wrote:

I rather have Rubio coach.

Wow you just made me fast-forward 20 years ... he'll make an awesome coach
Homo homini lupus est.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#8 » by LaRance » Sat Oct 3, 2015 1:06 am

prayers go out to Flip and his family. Sam Mitchel it's your time to shine man
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,217

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Oct 3, 2015 7:02 am

Best wishes Flip! And please ignore this intrusion into your personal life.

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Everyone involved has gone radio silent because of the family’s request for privacy and federal patient-privacy laws, etc., but...

...but you will not respect any of these things. You will dig up as much info as you can, fill the gaps with speculation and make sure your name is attached to it as you release it into the either... because the people have a right to know, right?

Return to Wiretap Discussion