Mark Cuban: It Will Be Tough To Have Multiple $30M+ Players On Single Team

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mark Cuban: It Will Be Tough To Have Multiple $30M+ Players On Single Team 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Mark Cuban was asked about how the NBA's escalating salary cap will change the way rosters are built.

“It’s going to change a lot," said Cuban. "More from a strategy perspective, it makes the value of draft choices go through the roof because they’re pegged at a certain price. Minimum contracts will go through the roof. Anybody that signs for the mid-level, the value goes through the roof.

“It’s going to be a lot of tough decisions. And in reality, if everything sticks to the projections that we come up with, the cap will go down after that. So that changes what you do as well.

“It will be really interesting. There will be some guys that will get way paid. When guys are making $30 million-plus, it’s going to be tough to have more than one of them.”

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Re: Mark Cuban: It Will Be Tough To Have Multiple $30M+ Players On Single Team 

Post#2 » by DJ3thenew23 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:58 am

Cap going down? What?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Pugz
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#3 » by Pugz » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:Cap going down? What?

its going up a lot the next few years and the projected to level out i believe
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 am

Even tougher to get a good player to take up your cap space even if you have $ to burn.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:12 am

likashing wrote:Even tougher to get a good player to take up your cap space even if you have $ to burn.

The salary cap floor - where the sixers budget with their serial tanking will be around the current luxury tax line when the cap explodes. The nba should be giving the players union some concessions in current cba negotiations in order to smooth out the cap increases or should agree to a hard cap at a reasonable # but allow all players who are not rookies to be able to make what ever annual salary they can get. So Lebron could get say 60M/year as his market value but because of a hard cap his team will have less money to get him a quality supporting cast - thus he will be conditioned to take less to have a better team. If they don't some teams will be forced to hand out ridiculous four year contracts just to meet the floor or the 12 player roster minimum that summer.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#6 » by likashing » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 am

Sam195 wrote:
likashing wrote:Even tougher to get a good player to take up your cap space even if you have $ to burn.

The salary cap floor - where the sixers budget with their serial tanking will be around the current luxury tax line when the cap explodes. The nba should be giving the players union some concessions in current cba negotiations in order to smooth out the cap increases or should agree to a hard cap at a reasonable # but allow all players who are not rookies to be able to make what ever annual salary they can get. So Lebron could get say 60M/year as his market value but because of a hard cap his team will have less money to get him a quality supporting cast - thus he will be conditioned to take less to have a better team. If they don't some teams will be forced to hand out ridiculous four year contracts just to meet the floor or the 12 player roster minimum that summer.

Read below:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2015/7/18/8995583/portland-trail-blazers-free-agent-trades-salary-cap

Teams don't have to sign players until they meet the floor. If the total salary doesn't meet the floor, they just need to split the difference among active players.

Will some GMs go out of control and offer big contracts to bad players because of the new cap? Sure. But it won't be because of the cap floor.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#7 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Teams like the Nets, Lakers and Knicks, given lack of forthcoming draft picks and with ownership/marketplace, will glady dish out large contract to become competitive again.

Teams like OKC will be forced to deal a guy like Ibaka as they just can't afford to keep him if they re-sign Durant to a $25+/year contract long term.

Some teams like Toronto are smart, overpaying now for players (Carroll, Valinciunas, Ross) but on a fixed, long term contract so their contracts look incredibly valuable 2 years down the line.

Some teams now stay under salary cap (Blazers, Jazz, Sixers) knowing that on paper theyre not a playoff team. So why spend more money than necessary unless a player moves the needle enough?
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#8 » by puja21 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 pm

likashing wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Read below:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2015/7/18/8995583/portland-trail-blazers-free-agent-trades-salary-cap

Teams don't have to sign players until they meet the floor. If the total salary doesn't meet the floor, they just need to split the difference among active players.

Will some GMs go out of control and offer big contracts to bad players because of the new cap? Sure. But it won't be because of the cap floor.

Exactly -- and that's always been the case in this CBA -- and even more notably, they don't even have to meet this minimum until the LAST day of their season:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15

"The team salary must be at or above a defined percentage of the salary cap on the date of the team's last regular season game"

90% of the cap this year, or 63M

Return to Wiretap Discussion