Vogel: Paul George Is Best Two-Way Player In NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Vogel: Paul George Is Best Two-Way Player In NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Paul George continued his excellent start to the season with 40 points against the Washington Wizards on Tuesday.

“It’s tough to quantify in words,” Frank Vogel said. “I mean, he just does so much. He’s capable of going for 40, carrying the offensive load and being the best defensive player on either team. He’s a special player, and the best two-way player in the game. We’re a different team with him out there.”

George is leading the Indiana Pacers in scoring and rebounding, while ranking second in assists.

Via Jorge Castillo/Washington Post

MakinItRainRed
Freshman
And1: 25

Re: Vogel: Paul George Is Best Two-Way Player In NBA 

Post#2 » by MakinItRainRed » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler say hello
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#3 » by GaaBaaBoo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:57 pm

MakinItRainRed wrote:Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler say hello

And soon joins Andrew Wiggins
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:24 pm

MakinItRainRed wrote:Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler say hello

PG's height gives him a better advantage than those two. Not saying they can't, but Paul is in a much better positions to guard all 5 positions than Jimmy or Kawhi. Do you see those two defending a guy like Andre Drummond? No, but PG has a better shot.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Post#5 » by Ettorefm » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:50 pm

George is just as good defensively as Leonard; not to mention his height helps him guard multiple positions

The difference is that George is the only one out of the three mentioned that can go for 30 on every given night. Leonard is getting there, but he still is a borderline 20 ppg player. This is his first season carrying the load; george is already an elite scorer
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
The_Didact_117
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,465

Post#6 » by The_Didact_117 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:24 pm

The 2014 FMVP and reigning DPOY might have a case over him tbh...
Sic Parvis Magna
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,721

Post#7 » by -Sammy- » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:42 pm

I love that Leonard's in the conversation, but overall, PG's probably been the best two-way guy so far this season. I think Leonard is the better defender, but PG is killing it on the scoring, and he's dishing five dimes a game on top of it.

It seems like Kawhi's getting better with every game he plays, though, so this topic might need to be revisited in a month or two.

On the Denver bandwagon for the '24 playoffs; just marking time over here until Vic's two-decade domination begins
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,781

Post#8 » by thamadkant » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Best Two-Way player that has 2 first names in his name?

Lebron, Kawhi, Butler, Durant are all capable players both sides.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,252

Post#9 » by SideshowBob » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 pm

What does "two-way" mean here exactly? I know this is just semantics, but I just don't understand the thought processes behind statements like this sometimes.

Steph Curry is a "one-way" player, but his offense is better than George's offense and defense combined, so technically he's a better "two-way" player because his offense+defense is better than George's offense+defense. On the same line of thinking, so is Westbrook, and Lebron, and Durant. So either that's not what Vogel means, or he's a little out of touch.

If its a balance thing, in the sense that George is just as good on defense as he is on offense, then aren't there role-players who do the same, just to a much lesser degree? A solid 3&D bench guy is obviously nowhere near as good as PG, but his offense/defense balance might be the same, if not more equal than George's (heck even Butler comes to mind). I suppose George might be the best among guys who are close to perfectly balanced on both ends (Leonard might be better).

I know I'm being nitpicky and Vogel was just making a complimentary statement after a great night by George, but this kind of stuff reflects on folks, so I feel like its at least worth acknowledging.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 am

1UPZ wrote:Best Two-Way player that has 2 first names in his name?

Lebron, Kawhi, Butler, Durant are all capable players both sides.

Lebron James and Kawhi Leonard also have two first names so the debate is still out.

Can we agree that Russell Westbrook is the best 2-way player with two last names?
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#11 » by GaaBaaBoo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:54 am

SideshowBob wrote:What does "two-way" mean here exactly? I know this is just semantics, but I just don't understand the thought processes behind statements like this sometimes.

Steph Curry is a "one-way" player, but his offense is better than George's offense and defense combined, so technically he's a better "two-way" player because his offense+defense is better than George's offense+defense. On the same line of thinking, so is Westbrook, and Lebron, and Durant. So either that's not what Vogel means, or he's a little out of touch.

If its a balance thing, in the sense that George is just as good on defense as he is on offense, then aren't there role-players who do the same, just to a much lesser degree? A solid 3&D bench guy is obviously nowhere near as good as PG, but his offense/defense balance might be the same, if not more equal than George's (heck even Butler comes to mind). I suppose George might be the best among guys who are close to perfectly balanced on both ends (Leonard might be better).

I know I'm being nitpicky and Vogel was just making a complimentary statement after a great night by George, but this kind of stuff reflects on folks, so I feel like its at least worth acknowledging.

No your argument is great man. I like the logical thinking out of it.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#12 » by br7knicks » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Ettorefm wrote:George is just as good defensively as Leonard; not to mention his height helps him guard multiple positions

The difference is that George is the only one out of the three mentioned that can go for 30 on every given night. Leonard is getting there, but he still is a borderline 20 ppg player. This is his first season carrying the load; george is already an elite scorer

jimmy butler is my favorite player, i love leonard, and like george, but this ^^^

best two-way. george isn't the best scorer in the league, nor is he the best defender.

but how do people how not understand that it's about taking both sides of the court and finding the best overall 2-way player? that's the point vogel was making.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#13 » by 23artest23 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:28 am

If PG isn't the best two way player, he is right there with the best. Regardless of who is best, a team can't really go wrong with guys like PG, Leonard, Butler, Winslow (he'll be there soon enough), AD, and so on.

I'd personally say PG is the best. He can guard the 1 thru 4 and depending on who the 5 is, could guard the C position as well. Consider that and what he can do on the offensive side (everything), I'd say he is just a hair above the rest. Can't go wrong with any of the top two way players though.

Return to Wiretap Discussion