Silver: Kobe Bryant Deserves To Be In 2016 All-Star Game

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Silver: Kobe Bryant Deserves To Be In 2016 All-Star Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:24 pm

Adam Silver said he believes Kobe Bryant deserves a place in the 2016 NBA All-Star Game.

Bryant recently announced he will retire at the end of the season.

Bryant is a 17-time NBA All-Star and has won the All-Star Game MVP on four separate occasions.

Via Jeff Zillgitt/USA Today

Junior
And1: 112

Re: Silver: Kobe Bryant Deserves To Be In 2016 All-Star Game 

Post#2 » by ... » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Adam Silver is wrong.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#3 » by random_hero891 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Unless they're planning on making an extra rooster spot for "lifetime achievement award" type players, there's no way Kobe's play is deserving of a roster spot.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#4 » by DJ3thenew23 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:10 pm

random_hero891 wrote:Unless they're planning on making an extra rooster spot for "lifetime achievement award" type players, there's no way Kobe's play is deserving of a roster spot.

Remember Iverson and Yao Ming that one year?

Fans voting = Lifetime achievement all-star spots

Side note, how the hell is Kobe in the frontcourt?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:22 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
random_hero891 wrote:Unless they're planning on making an extra rooster spot for "lifetime achievement award" type players, there's no way Kobe's play is deserving of a roster spot.

He's playing SF this year.
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#6 » by juduking » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:14 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:

Grant Hill use to get voted in every year too for a long time. Players should have to play a certain number of minutes or games to be eligible, and have to be genuinely helping their teams. Kobe while an all time great should not be an all star. I mean he is getting all star treatment on his going away tour around the league already. Plus he doesn't need to be in the game for any other reason than his ego making him think he is still a big time player like the rest of the all star rosters will be.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#7 » by Cassius » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:55 am

Fraud.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 am

... wrote:Adam Silver is wrong.

Yeah, and when Kobe is there will he still be wrong?
Junior
And1: 112

Post#9 » by ... » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:21 am

MitchB3 wrote:

No, just able to prove how far his power reaches.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#10 » by Cicero » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:37 am

I think the obvious solution to the bickering and bitterness over all star selections is to stop citing them as achievements of any meaning (other than popularity) when discussing the HoF or a player's overall career. It's stupid that people complain about the all star game and yet so many still cite all star selections when rating careers as if they have any relation to skill.
It's not like the likes of Yi Jianlin and Jeremy Lin deserved their all star close calls, nearly getting in, it's merely a comment on fanbases.

Let Kobe in, let any old beloved no longer good player in, let any flash in the pan with a fanbase in, if the fans will select them...just stop acting like all star selections actually mean anything significant in relation to the game of basketball: they don't.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#11 » by LaRance » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:21 pm

I agree, Kobe deserves to be there and I will be voting for him. kobe brought some exciting basketball to the nba for the last 20 years. ofcourse his game has declined because he's aging but he's all around the closest thing I've seen to Michael Jordan in my life
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by DJ3thenew23 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:50 pm

MitchB3 wrote:

Silver said Kobe DESERVES to be in the game, which he does not. Whether he makes it or not doesn't matter, he doesn't deserve a spot, but the fans will give him one anyways.

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
pnxd
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#13 » by pnxd » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:22 pm

LaRance wrote:I agree, Kobe deserves to be there and I will be voting for him. kobe brought some exciting basketball to the nba for the last 20 years. ofcourse his game has declined because he's aging but he's all around the closest thing I've seen to Michael Jordan in my life

Agree.

This is what MJ said about Iverson offering up his all-star spot:
"He said, 'If you don't mind, I'd like to step aside and let you start,"' Jordan recounted. "No one knew about it. He called me personally and I didn't make it known."
"It shows what type of people they are, about the history of the game, about guys who have paved the way," Jordan said. "I would have done it for Dr. J. and I'm sure Dr. J. would have done it for someone else. That, to me, just shows how much they care about the game. I take it as a compliment, but I would rather for them to play and start and let me come off the bench."

Kobe may not be goat, but definitely in that class, and deserves the start.
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#14 » by juduking » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 pm

pnxd wrote:
LaRance wrote:I agree, Kobe deserves to be there and I will be voting for him. kobe brought some exciting basketball to the nba for the last 20 years. ofcourse his game has declined because he's aging but he's all around the closest thing I've seen to Michael Jordan in my life

Agree.

This is what MJ said about Iverson offering up his all-star spot:
"He said, 'If you don't mind, I'd like to step aside and let you start,"' Jordan recounted. "No one knew about it. He called me personally and I didn't make it known."
"It shows what type of people they are, about the history of the game, about guys who have paved the way," Jordan said. "I would have done it for Dr. J. and I'm sure Dr. J. would have done it for someone else. That, to me, just shows how much they care about the game. I take it as a compliment, but I would rather for them to play and start and let me come off the bench."

Kobe may not be goat, but definitely in that class, and deserves the start.

Jordan also said Kobe was a top ten shooting guard of all time. I doubt Kobe would step aside for Jordan or anyone else. He doesnt deserve to be in the "what have you done for me lately" game.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#15 » by ChosunX » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:10 am

He derves it just as soon ans nobody mentions all stardom as a real achievment opposed to a popularity contest.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#16 » by MitchB3 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:39 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Silver said Kobe DESERVES to be in the game, which he does not. Whether he makes it or not doesn't matter, he doesn't deserve a spot, but the fans will give him one anyways.

Please tell me who in the West DESERVES a spot? Kobe has a lot more on his resume, and not to mention has done more for the NBA than anyone in the west. Kobe has been voted into the last two All-Star games but due to injury couldn't play.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by DJ3thenew23 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:59 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Please tell me who in the West DESERVES a spot? Kobe has a lot more on his resume, and not to mention has done more for the NBA than anyone in the west. Kobe has been voted into the last two All-Star games but due to injury couldn't play.

The All-Star game is a season by season award. The Hall of Fame is where Kobe should and will get his lifetime achievement recognition. He has played like ass this season, the exact opposite of an All-Star.

MitchB3
Starter

Post#18 » by MitchB3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:31 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:

The All-Star game is a season by season award. The Hall of Fame is where Kobe should and will get his lifetime achievement recognition. He has played like ass this season, the exact opposite of an All-Star.

Is also possible that because he's on the Lakers that could also be a reason why he has been playing bad? Let's be honest if the Lakers put good solid players around Kobe, I don't think we would see the demise of Kobe like this.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#19 » by ChosunX » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 am

MitchB3 wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Is also possible that because he's on the Lakers that could also be a reason why he has been playing bad? Let's be honest if the Lakers put good solid players around Kobe, I don't think we would see the demise of Kobe like this.

Thing is solid players don't want to play with Kobe.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by DJ3thenew23 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:59 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Regardless, he's played bad, he shouldn't be an all-star.

Return to Wiretap Discussion