Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 75,727
And1: 207
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 pm

Dwight Howard emphatically refuted a report he is unhappy with the Houston Rockets.


“I chose to go to Houston (via free agency in the summer of 2013), so why would I just say, 'I'm not happy' and leave,” Howard, who is widely expected to become a free agent again this summer, told USA TODAY Sports. “I chose this place, you know what I'm saying? And I want to make this thing work here. Obviously we haven't been playing great basketball, and personally for myself my numbers don't seem like I've been playing great, but the only thing on my mind is trying to grow as a man and grow as a teammate and a leader. All the BS that's around, sometimes it is frustrating to hear it, because I know who I am as a man and I know what I'm trying to do for this city.”


Howard has a player option for next season worth $23.2 million, but a person with knowledge of the Rockets situation said they are expecting him to opt out and become a free agent.

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

User avatar
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 111
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#2 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:54 pm

“why would I just say, 'I'm not happy' and leave,”

Because didn't you essentially "choose" to be a Laker too? And we all remember how that turned out.
Epstein / Hoyer 2016
User avatar
Ckay
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,456
And1: 4,313
Joined: Feb 29, 2012
Location: going going, back back, to Cali Cali
 

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#3 » by Ckay » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:19 am

Just shut up and play.
kmpoaquests
Senior
Posts: 535
And1: 14
Joined: Feb 15, 2011

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#4 » by kmpoaquests » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:37 am

He keeps mentioning figuring out things as a man.
Im pretty sure bruce Jenner used those same words right before he tells the world hea actually a tranny

Be free dwight shout it from the rooftops
Pickled Prunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,492
And1: 626
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:
“why would I just say, 'I'm not happy' and leave,”

Because didn't you essentially "choose" to be a Laker too? And we all remember how that turned out.

He also chose to resign in Orlando, which led to almost instantaneous regret.
jumpstart
Starter
Posts: 2,198
And1: 771
Joined: Dec 21, 2014

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#6 » by jumpstart » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:45 am

kmpoaquests wrote:He keeps mentioning figuring out things as a man.
Im pretty sure bruce Jenner used those same words right before he tells the world hea actually a tranny

Be free dwight shout it from the rooftops


lol!
User avatar
Furinkazan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,333
And1: 3,253
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#7 » by Furinkazan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:09 am

Image
User avatar
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,614
And1: 5,144
Joined: Jul 01, 2013

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#8 » by BallerTalk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:53 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:
“why would I just say, 'I'm not happy' and leave,”

Because didn't you essentially "choose" to be a Laker too? And we all remember how that turned out.


"Essentially"??? Care to explain?
Or is that just a clever way of saying "Not really but let's just say it anyway"? :lol:
"Lace your boots up and get to it!" - JW

-
theclizzle
Freshman
Posts: 88
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 09, 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
     

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#9 » by theclizzle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:51 pm

I've been going back and forth with a friend whose a Spurs fan. He doesn't like dwight for any team. I honestly don't have an opinion. I would love to see Dwight excel in Houston. One thing about James I've noticed since he came to the H is he has totally embraced the way Houstonians act, for good or bad. Dwight does too but not to the same extent IMO, he isn't always chunking up the H or the horns, sayin the words "H-town", I honestly don't know if he even listens to the music.

Now the rockets have been crap. As I keep tellin my friend though, IDRGAF what happens with Dwight, I do with James though. He's too good on offense and too young to let go of him, and the rockets aquired his bird rights from OKC via the trade. I feel that if Dwight gets traded, and James and the Rockets continue to struggle, James Harden should miss the playoffs, it would do a lot of good for his mind... hopefully.
Fellow72
Junior
Posts: 350
And1: 73
Joined: Mar 14, 2012

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#10 » by Fellow72 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Dwight is not the player we thought he was. If he isn't been spoon fed the ball every possession and doesn't have an offense solely reliant on him, he can't put up the same numbers. He shouldn't be playing as bad as he has. He is no longer a feared defensive threat, and he has cutback significantly on offense. He's even missed a few embarrassing dunks (one of which was wide open). He's been checked out for a while mentally due to the injuries. And now that he is healthy he has been ineffective and he believes the problem is the team. Some of it is the team's fault but he has a significant part in the team's woes. He can't even be seriously considered a franchise player anymore, and he only has himself to blame for that.
Jody Smokz
Starter
Posts: 2,126
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 20, 2015
 

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#11 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Indirectly he did. He had a chance to be traded at the 11-12 deadline and chose to opt in. He could have been dealt to the Nets at that time. New management came around in the offseason and they got the best deal they could and it happened to involve LA. Had he not opted in under Otis smith he wouldve been a Net.

BallerTalk wrote:
Chi Dynasty12 wrote:
“why would I just say, 'I'm not happy' and leave,”

Because didn't you essentially "choose" to be a Laker too? And we all remember how that turned out.


"Essentially"??? Care to explain?
Or is that just a clever way of saying "Not really but let's just say it anyway"? :lol:
User avatar
6_Rings
RealGM
Posts: 26,763
And1: 2,891
Joined: Apr 08, 2003
Contact:
 

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#12 » by 6_Rings » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:15 pm

he should stay there for good. no more DWIGHTMARE!
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
User avatar
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,614
And1: 5,144
Joined: Jul 01, 2013

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#13 » by BallerTalk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:05 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:Because didn't you essentially "choose" to be a Laker too? And we all remember how that turned out.

Jody Smokz wrote:Indirectly he did.


"Indirectly" and "Essentially" still just sound like not-so-clever ways of misrepresenting a situation.
People often use vague terms like that when the facts don't fit their narrative. Apparently that's the case here.
"Lace your boots up and get to it!" - JW

-
User avatar
Jazzing
Senior
Posts: 505
And1: 215
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Squornshellous Zeta

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#14 » by Jazzing » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:02 pm

"(...) is trying to grow as a man"

Said a man with 30 years old. :noway:
Jody Smokz
Starter
Posts: 2,126
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 20, 2015
 

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#15 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:30 am

Im not misrepresenting anything. He used his leverage to get to LA. He had the option to not opt in and get traded to BKN the season before. He also had the choice to commit to Orlando before they traded him.

BallerTalk wrote:
Chi Dynasty12 wrote:Because didn't you essentially "choose" to be a Laker too? And we all remember how that turned out.

Jody Smokz wrote:Indirectly he did.


"Indirectly" and "Essentially" still just sound like not-so-clever ways of misrepresenting a situation.
People often use vague terms like that when the facts don't fit their narrative. Apparently that's the case here.
puja21
Senior
Posts: 675
And1: 59
Joined: Feb 08, 2013

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#16 » by puja21 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:16 pm

theclizzle wrote:I've been going back and forth with a friend whose a Spurs fan. He doesn't like dwight for any team. I honestly don't have an opinion. I would love to see Dwight excel in Houston. One thing about James I've noticed since he came to the H is he has totally embraced the way Houstonians act, for good or bad. Dwight does too but not to the same extent IMO, he isn't always chunking up the H or the horns, sayin the words "H-town", I honestly don't know if he even listens to the music.

Now the rockets have been crap. As I keep tellin my friend though, IDRGAF what happens with Dwight, I do with James though. He's too good on offense and too young to let go of him, and the rockets aquired his bird rights from OKC via the trade. I feel that if Dwight gets traded, and James and the Rockets continue to struggle, James Harden should miss the playoffs, it would do a lot of good for his mind... hopefully.


Why does this matter at all?
User avatar
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,614
And1: 5,144
Joined: Jul 01, 2013

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#17 » by BallerTalk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Jazzing wrote:"(...) is trying to grow as a man"

Said a man with 30 years old. :noway:


Is 30 the point where we stop growing?
"Lace your boots up and get to it!" - JW

-
User avatar
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,614
And1: 5,144
Joined: Jul 01, 2013

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#18 » by BallerTalk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Im not misrepresenting anything. He used his leverage to get to LA. He had the option to not opt in and get traded to BKN the season before. He also had the choice to commit to Orlando before they traded him.


It is without question a misrepresentation of the facts to say he chose to go to LA.

1) First and foremost he was traded there. That was a choice by the Orlando Magic, not Dwight Howard.
2) Second, to your point about leverage, any leverage Howard may have had previously was severely mitigated by the fact that there were no less than 3 teams (including the Rockets) with standing offers to trade for Howard without an opt-in or promise to resign. The Magic simply chose the option they thought was best for them.
3) Throughout the entire "Dwightmare" saga in Orlando it was reported that Brooklyn was Howard's preferred destination, to team up with Deron Williams. However, the Nets were never able to put together a package appealing enough to the Magic since Orlando was not interested in taking on the hefty contract of injury prone center Brook Lopez.
4) It was also reported that Howard had long since soured on the idea of going to LA after a conversation with Kobe. That report seems even more believable in hindsight.

So to say that Howard "chose" to go to LA is wholly false no matter what angle you try to spin.
Like I said, there's a reason you guys chose to use words like "essentially" and "indirectly".
"Lace your boots up and get to it!" - JW

-
User avatar
Jazzing
Senior
Posts: 505
And1: 215
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Squornshellous Zeta

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#19 » by Jazzing » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:10 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Jazzing wrote:"(...) is trying to grow as a man"

Said a man with 30 years old. :noway:


Is 30 the point where we stop growing?


Nope. But if you need to say this after 20, you're very immature.
User avatar
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,614
And1: 5,144
Joined: Jul 01, 2013

Re: Dwight Howard: I Chose To Go To Houston 

Post#20 » by BallerTalk » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:23 am

Jazzing wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:
Jazzing wrote:"(...) is trying to grow as a man"

Said a man with 30 years old. :noway:


Is 30 the point where we stop growing?


Nope. But if you need to say this after 20, you're very immature.


So now you're saying we reach maturity at 20?
That's as crazy as your first comment.

It was a stock answer to a to a tired question.
You're trying too hard to spin it as a negative for Dwight and only making yourself look uninformed in the process.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player saying he is trying to grow as a man, a teammate, and a leader.
"Lace your boots up and get to it!" - JW

-

Return to Wiretap Discussion