76ers Hire Mike D'Antoni As Associate Head Coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Hire Mike D'Antoni As Associate Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:27 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers have agreed to terms with Mike D’Antoni to become Associate Head Coach. D’Antoni brings 25 years of coaching experience to the Sixers’ staff, including 12 seasons as an NBA head coach. 

D’Antoni most recently served as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers from 2012-2014 after four seasons at the helm for the New York Knicks (2008-2012), five seasons for the Phoenix Suns (2003-08) and one season for the Denver Nuggets (1998-99). All told, D’Antoni owns a NBA coaching record of 455-426 for his career. 

D’Antoni has also served on the USA Olympic Basketball coaching staff under head coach Mike Krzyzewski, where he helped guide Team USA to gold medals in 2008 and 2012. He has nearly a decade of additional international head coaching experience.

CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Re: 76ers Hire Mike D'Antoni As Associate Head Coach 

Post#2 » by CoolKids » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 pm

wow sixers are really dedicated to being the worst team this year
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#3 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:17 am

CoolKids wrote:wow sixers are really dedicated to being the worst team this year

They've never been the worst team yet in the Hinkie era. Last time the Sixers were the worst team in '72 they won the ship 11 years later, so why not have history repeat itself. Maybe a bit earlier this time.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:36 am

CoolKids wrote:wow sixers are really dedicated to being the worst team this year

Um, yeah. I know it's stylish to talk smack on D'Antoni right now but at the same time small ball is everywhere. His system is one of the most emulated in the league right now. How could a team with a 1-27 record possibly suffer from adding his mind to their bench? If they win 2 more games this season their winning% will be better with D'Antoni than without.
wizzleman
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by wizzleman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:19 pm

Just wondering why D’Antoni, holding a 455-426(over .5)record would agree to become assistant in a loosing team (which means his individual status will get worse) ? Maybe he saw some potential in this team? Maybe he saw Joel Emiid in the gym? Remember that people are attracted by success not a failure. Still Coangelo joined, now MDA. Or is it about the money? Just wondering...
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#6 » by TONYROMOHOF » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:

They've never been the worst team yet in the Hinkie era. Last time the Sixers were the worst team in '72 they won the ship 11 years later, so why not have history repeat itself. Maybe a bit earlier this time.

He didnt say they had been, just this year

And this year they are the worst right now
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#7 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:09 pm

TONYROMOHOF wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:

He didnt say they had been, just this year

And this year they are the worst right now

I know, that's why I mentioned that the last time they were the worst they won the championship 11 years later, so why not do it again?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Will he still coach Michigan State in the playoffs?

Return to Wiretap Discussion