Noel-Okafor Position Formula Remains A Mystery To 76ers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Noel-Okafor Position Formula Remains A Mystery To 76ers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:08 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers had Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor switch roles in their 110-105 win over the Sacramento Kings.

Noel started at center with Okafor coming off the bench. Noel had 20 points on 8-for-12 shooting to go with nine rebounds, two assists and four steals.

Okafor added 10 points and 10 rebounds in what was his first game back after missing the previous two with a sprained right knee.

"I think that lineup really worked for us," Noel said of Wednesday’s lineup. "I think we were able to get up and down the court, and Jah brought his post-playing just rebounding especially. And I think this team can really go in a lot of different ways. We have a lot of different dynamics, especially with Jah coming off [the bench] and Ish running the point."

Jerian Grant started at power forward.

"For me, when we split up Jahlil and Nerlens, because of how they played, they didn’t go backwards in their numbers although they went backwards in their minutes," Brett Brown said. "Jah with more minutes would have scored more. But he ended up with a double-double."

Noel is more effective and comfortable as a center than a power forward. Meanwhile, Brown believes that Okafor is a natural power forward.

"The four-five, five-four you know it’s still a mystery right now," Brown said of deciding where to play Noel and Okafor. "It really is. And I think we are going to have this conversation throughout the whole year.

"Trying to grow those two guys is a challenge. So for me, it ends up more matchups than this overwhelming responsibility where it hurts the team. You know we want to win games. How I navigate that is a challenge."

Via Keith Pompey/Philadelphia Inquirer

rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,473

Re: Noel-Okafor Position Formula Remains A Mystery To 76ers 

Post#2 » by rajajackal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:36 pm

"Jerian Grant started at power forward."

he did? i mean, i know the knicks have a few days off but...
Imdatboul11
Junior
And1: 74

Post#3 » by Imdatboul11 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:09 pm

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#4 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Long term I doubt there's a fit there with these two. Noel is obviously better suited for a high tempo offense, running off blocked shots etc. So they should look to trade one of these two for backcourt or wing help but it's the sixers so don't count on it.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#5 » by DJ3thenew23 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:42 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Long term I doubt there's a fit there with these two. Noel is obviously better suited for a high tempo offense, running off blocked shots etc. So they should look to trade one of these two for backcourt or wing help but it's the sixers so don't count on it.

It's the Sixers, so you know they'll rob someone.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
BadNFluenz
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#6 » by BadNFluenz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:35 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Long term I doubt there's a fit there with these two. Noel is obviously better suited for a high tempo offense, running off blocked shots etc. So they should look to trade one of these two for backcourt or wing help but it's the sixers so don't count on it.

what is this even supposed to mean?
__
R.I.P. 4-1-So Sick Ass Rell
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#7 » by DJ3thenew23 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:49 pm

BadNFluenz wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:

Means they'll make a great deal like they did with Sactown.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,030

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:53 pm

That's because Hinkie is a freaking fool. The sooner the Sixers ditch him, the better.
Free Palestine
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#9 » by miltk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:15 pm

i like that "draft without doing your homework" approach :lol:
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#10 » by Jvaughn » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:44 pm

This was always going to be a problem. Assuming Embiid ever returns to basketball, you now have 3 Centers on the team that cannot play with each other, and are all too talented to bring off the bench. Just stupid drafting tbh.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:58 pm

Im betting $20 they trade Noel in off-season. How they trade him depends where they land in the draft and if they get the Lakers pick too. If they dont get Lakers pick, I assume they'll trade Noel, Miami pick and OKC pick to land a top 5 draft pick.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#12 » by Agnostifarian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:31 pm

[quote="Bentley1225"]Im betting $20 they trade Noel in off-season. How they trade him depends where they land in the draft and if they get the Lakers pick too. If they dont get Lakers pick, I assume they'll trade Noel, Miami pick and OKC pick to land a top 5 draft pick.[/

Noel would get Philly to #3 by himself.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,209

Post#13 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:07 pm

Hinkie seems to have operated under the assumption that drafting the player with maximum potential (in an effort to land a franchise player) is an immutable rule. Unfortunately, his own work has highlighted one clear exception to the rule: When you commit three top draft picks (Noel being a draft-night acquisition) to players who play the same position you won't have enough freedom to really evaluate which prospect(s) you want and still have the expendable players get enough meaningful minutes to garner any trade value. By adhering to their strategy through the injuries to Noel and Embiid, they went out of their way to put themselves in a position where it may be more difficult to acquire pieces around their (yet to be decided) cornerstone than it would have been if they selected one or more players with their top draft picks in the last three years who played positions other than centre. Forgetting about the basketball part of the statistical algorithm is a real problem, especially when minutes per game is such a simple calculation.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 145

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Fri Jan 1, 2016 6:46 am

Bentley1225 wrote:Im betting $20 they trade Noel in off-season. How they trade him depends where they land in the draft and if they get the Lakers pick too. If they dont get Lakers pick, I assume they'll trade Noel, Miami pick and OKC pick to land a top 5 draft pick.

Knowing Hinkie, he won't trade them because he wants to see how Noel, Okafor and Embiid play together, knowing that all three plays the same position. Also I don't think OKC will make a trade for Noel because one they have both Kanter and Adams, as their center and they won't really make that big of a move.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#15 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Jan 1, 2016 1:18 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:Im betting $20 they trade Noel in off-season. How they trade him depends where they land in the draft and if they get the Lakers pick too. If they dont get Lakers pick, I assume they'll trade Noel, Miami pick and OKC pick to land a top 5 draft pick.[/

Noel has struggled this year and only has one more full year left on his contract, I doubt someone gives up a top ten pick for him at this point
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#16 » by jason bourne » Fri Jan 1, 2016 4:59 pm

BadNFluenz wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:

It's just...

"Champagne wishes, caviar dreams." - Robbin Leech
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#17 » by Agnostifarian » Fri Jan 1, 2016 6:52 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:Im betting $20 they trade Noel in off-season. How they trade him depends where they land in the draft and if they get the Lakers pick too. If they dont get Lakers pick, I assume they'll trade Noel, Miami pick and OKC pick to land a top 5 draft pick.[/

Noel has struggled this year and only has one more full year left on his contract, I doubt someone gives up a top ten pick for him at this point

:crazy:
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.

Return to Wiretap Discussion