Elton Brand To Sign With 76ers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Elton Brand To Sign With 76ers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 4, 2016 4:51 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers will sign Elton Brand.

Brand signed with the 76ers during the 2008 offseason.

Brand spent the past two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks and announced his retirement in August.

Via Shams Charania/Yahoo! Sports

BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Re: Elton Brand To Sign With 76ers 

Post#2 » by BirdmanPresents » Mon Jan 4, 2016 5:25 pm

Powershift
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 4, 2016 6:23 pm

BirdmanPresents wrote:Powershift

Little bit.

It'll be funny to E Brand serve as a babysitter for the baby 6ers for the season. He was a consummate professional throughout his career. But as this stage, I'm not sure these young kids will look up to him the same way they might have a few years ago.

I expect he'll play a role similar to KG over in Minnesota. A good idea. Though, I'm not sure it'll be enough to have much effect on a sinking ship in Philly.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#4 » by DJ3thenew23 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 6:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Little bit.

It'll be funny to E Brand serve as a babysitter for the baby 6ers for the season. He was a consummate professional throughout his career. But as this stage, I'm not sure these young kids will look up to him the same way they might have a few years ago.

I expect he'll play a role similar to KG over in Minnesota. A good idea. Though, I'm not sure it'll be enough to have much effect on a sinking ship in Philly.

Sinking ship?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#5 » by Raptor_Guy » Mon Jan 4, 2016 6:49 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Little bit.

Sinking ship?

This is a good signing for them, a big to help mentor guys like Okafor, Grant and Noel.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#6 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Jan 4, 2016 7:05 pm

He will be the Chuck Wagon of the bench; get the rookies to get their **** together while playing 5 mins a game? He can still push around people - sometime's that's all that is needed.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 4, 2016 7:20 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Little bit.

Sinking ship?

:nod:

Sinking Ship.
Dumpster Fire.
FusterCluck.

Philly didn't bring in Jerry Colangelo AND Mike D'Antoni because things were going well. They were brought in to bring some direction to that floundering franchise.

Even worse, it was a move "encouraged" by the Commissioner after other owners expressed concern regarding Philly's direction for more than a year.

It's an indictment upon Sam Hinkie and an embarrassment to Brett Brown.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jan 4, 2016 8:02 pm

They needed an old man that could embarrass their young bigs in practice.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 4, 2016 8:06 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:They needed an old man that could embarrass their young bigs in practice.

God, I hope they don't get to draft Ben Simmons. They already have too many BIGS on that team and would basically just squander the first few years of his career.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#10 » by ontnut » Mon Jan 4, 2016 8:12 pm

He'll be in that coveted "player-coach" role. With transition into a front office or coaching role for next season, I assume.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by DJ3thenew23 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 8:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Little bit.

Sinking ship?

:nod:

Sinking Ship.
Dumpster Fire.
FusterCluck.

Philly didn't bring in Jerry Colangelo AND Mike D'Antoni because things were going well. They were brought in to bring some direction to that floundering franchise.

Even worse, it was a move "encouraged" by the Commissioner after other owners expressed concern regarding Philly's direction for more than a year.

It's an indictment upon Sam Hinkie and an embarrassment to Brett Brown.

Oh, I didn't realize you were another "Sixers are ruining the integrity of basketball!" person. Sorry, I'll go root for the Nets now, since they are an upstanding franchise unlike those Philly monsters. :lol: :lol:

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 4, 2016 8:48 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:Oh, I didn't realize you were another "Sixers are ruining the integrity of basketball!" person. Sorry, I'll go root for the Nets now, since they are an upstanding franchise unlike those Philly monsters. :lol: :lol:

Ummm...I'm not sure what you're referring to.

But when you do your job so poorly that your boss is forced to hire outside help to assist you in doing your job...it ain't a good sign.

I can't speak to the integrity of the game.

But players/agents/coaches are actively avoiding signing there, because they are a mess of a franchise right now.

Which is a shame...the fans of Philadelphia deserve better.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by DJ3thenew23 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 10:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:Oh, I didn't realize you were another "Sixers are ruining the integrity of basketball!" person. Sorry, I'll go root for the Nets now, since they are an upstanding franchise unlike those Philly monsters. :lol: :lol:

Ummm...I'm not sure what you're referring to.

But when you do your job so poorly that your boss is forced to hire outside help to assist you in doing your job...it ain't a good sign.

I can't speak to the integrity of the game.

But players/agents/coaches are actively avoiding signing there, because they are a mess of a franchise right now.

Which is a shame...the fans of Philadelphia deserve better.

"Players/agents/coaches are actively avoiding signing there", so they sign D'Antoni and Elton Brand. :banghead:

"But when you do your job so poorly that your boss is forced to hire outside help to assist you in doing your job...it ain't a good sign."
I thought people were over Hinkie being "on the hot seat"? Colangelo isn't there to take his job, he's there because fans and Adam Silver don't like the tank, so hiring him gives them resemblance of every other team that "tries" but are still ****.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 4, 2016 10:53 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:"Players/agents/coaches are actively avoiding signing there", so they sign D'Antoni and Elton Brand. :banghead:

"But when you do your job so poorly that your boss is forced to hire outside help to assist you in doing your job...it ain't a good sign."
I thought people were over Hinkie being "on the hot seat"? Colangelo isn't there to take his job, he's there because fans and Adam Silver don't like the tank, so hiring him gives them resemblance of every other team that "tries" but are still ****.

Ummm...the 76ers are 41-160 in the last 2+ seasons. That is literally 119 games under .500.

They've resorted to pulling guys out of retirement to babysit their players.

If you honestly believe they are on the right path...that's fine. If you want to defend what's happening there....that's fine.

But things there, from a business standpoint, from a culture standpoint, from an execution standpoint are not going well.

Not really worth arguing over. If you like rooting for the worst team in the league...so be it.

We can come back to this in a few months and see if Hinkie is still around.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#15 » by puja21 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 11:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:"Players/agents/coaches are actively avoiding signing there", so they sign D'Antoni and Elton Brand. :banghead:

Ummm...the 76ers are 41-160 in the last 2+ seasons. That is literally 119 games under .500.

They've resorted to pulling guys out of retirement to babysit their players.

If you honestly believe they are on the right path...that's fine. If you want to defend what's happening there....that's fine.

But things there, from a business standpoint, from a culture standpoint, from an execution standpoint are not going well.

Not really worth arguing over. If you like rooting for the worst team in the league...so be it.

We can come back to this in a few months and see if Hinkie is still around.

this
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#16 » by WhatsaTDot » Mon Jan 4, 2016 11:21 pm

Looks like they fired up the old Delorean.

This place is insufferable.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#17 » by southern wolf » Tue Jan 5, 2016 12:29 am

They might as well have signed Carlos Boozer. Neither of them will offer much, but at least Boozer was a double digit scorer last season. I don't think the young Sixers will remember who Elton Brand was lol.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 7, 2016 3:35 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:I thought people were over Hinkie being "on the hot seat"? Colangelo isn't there to take his job, he's there because fans and Adam Silver don't like the tank, so hiring him gives them resemblance of every other team that "tries" but are still ****.

Three months later and Hinkie is officially gone...it was inevitable.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by DJ3thenew23 » Thu Apr 7, 2016 9:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:I thought people were over Hinkie being "on the hot seat"? Colangelo isn't there to take his job, he's there because fans and Adam Silver don't like the tank, so hiring him gives them resemblance of every other team that "tries" but are still ****.

Three months later and Hinkie is officially gone...it was inevitable.

Nice one

Return to Wiretap Discussion