Joe Johnson Not Interested In Seeking Buyout From Nets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joe Johnson Not Interested In Seeking Buyout From Nets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Joe Johnson has no interest in seeking a buyout from the Brooklyn Nets.

Johnson's contract is for $25 million, making it difficult for the Nets to trade him to a team before the deadline.

Johnson signed the contract in 2010 with the Atlanta Hawks.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Re: Joe Johnson Not Interested In Seeking Buyout From Nets 

Post#2 » by Pedro » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Joe is all about the money, in my opinion. Its clear this is his last season making double digit money, so I think he wont agree to any buyout because it' would likely take him 2 seasons just to make up the difference of the loss. He should be a vet minimum guy for the rest of his career. Of course there is a shot in the dark he marginally improves on a team that only plays him at the 3, but even then he shouldnt deserve more than $8mil at best even with the looming higher cap on the horizon.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Joe Johnson Not Interested In Seeking Buyout From Nets 

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Pedro wrote:Joe is all about the money, in my opinion. Its clear this is his last season making double digit money, so I think he wont agree to any buyout because it' would likely take him 2 seasons just to make up the difference of the loss. He should be a vet minimum guy for the rest of his career. Of course there is a shot in the dark he marginally improves on a team that only plays him at the 3, but even then he shouldnt deserve more than $8mil at best even with the looming higher cap on the horizon.

JJ wants a buyout - he is just saying what his agent has instructed. If JJ requests a buyout now he will have to give up a significant amount of his salary to get a deal done like Deron Willaims who gave up 15M over two seasons I think. However if he waits till after the trade deadline and requests a buyout via his agent - he may only have to give up a pro-rated portion of the vet's minimum which he will get repaid when he signs on with a contender. JJ is not doing any favors for his free agent market value next summer playing in a disengaged way on an awful nets team. Expect him to create a nice spark for a contender playing a supporting role. A JJ signing on the spurs may make a big enough impact to top the warriors in the west and beat the cavs or w.e team in the finals. Spurs have everything but still lack a shooter in clutch situations - something JJ has a track record in providing. JJ at 34 would also get his minutes managed well by Popovich and could even start over Danny Green in games especially when Green is struggling with his shooting like he did to start the season. And lol pretty sure JJ will get a 3 year contract from someone next summer around 24M just because he can still play well when motivated and the salary cap is rising.

Return to Wiretap Discussion