Nets Expected To Pursue Tom Thibodeau As Head Coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nets Expected To Pursue Tom Thibodeau As Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:09 pm

The Brooklyn Nets are expected to pursue Tom Thibodeau as head coach once they hire a new general manager.

The Nets also have been linked strongly to John Calipari, largely because of Calipari's strong ties to Brooklyn CEO Brett Yormark, but there is a growing sense in league circles that team owner Mikhail Prokhorov wants to hire established NBA names with considerable experience in the league.

Tony Brown is currently serving as the Nets' interim coach.

Thibodeau was fired by the Bulls after the playoffs last season.

jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Nets Expected To Pursue Tom Thibodeau As Head Coach 

Post#2 » by jlokine » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:31 pm

if this ceo hires calipari for $10M/yr, which he is asking for, prokhorov should try to force him out too.. i dont think either mark jackson or thibodeau would command that much.. even phil jackson is only making $12M as president of knicks.... and he has 11 rings.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:24 pm

jlokine wrote:if this ceo hires calipari for $10M/yr, which he is asking for, prokhorov should try to force him out too.. i dont think either mark jackson or thibodeau would command that much.. even phil jackson is only making $12M as president of knicks.... and he has 11 rings.

I agree with you about Calipari; that would be a ridiculous hire. But the Nets will need to pay more for a proven coach than other teams because they have no talent and no picks. They are going to lose next year regardless of who is coaching the team. So why pay top dollar for a coach that will lose anyway? And from a vet-coach perspective, why take this job when it is possibly the worst job in the league? It makes more sense for them to give a shot to a first time coach that will work to develop the limited talent they do have and just be happy for the opportunity. Thibs would blow a gasket if his team lost 50+ games!

And Phil's paycheck is largely irrelevant as he was hired as window-dressing to a failing franchise. He is a 1st time GM that has zero rings in that position and likely will never have one. He is not being paid for what he brings in experience. His value is in his name and the hope it brings. There isn't anyone out there that can provide that kind of hope for the Nets.
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#4 » by xJumpManx » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:46 pm

Not sure who I feel worse for the Nets fans or anyone dumb enough tot ake the coaching job for that team. They have no hope of being good for years to come. The Sixers who have suffered have a way better future than the Nets do. The Nets will be awful for years to come and have no draft picks to get any better and no players are going to want to play there.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,965

Post#5 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:33 am

As a Celtics fan, I don't endorse this.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#6 » by Barcs » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:03 am

Thibodeau not having a coaching job at this point in the season is ridiculous. If the Nets hire him, it will annoy me as a Knicks fan, as I would take TT in a heartbeat over Fisher.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Barcs wrote:Thibodeau not having a coaching job at this point in the season is ridiculous. If the Nets hire him, it will annoy me as a Knicks fan, as I would take TT in a heartbeat over Fisher.

It's possible that Thibs is unemployed by choice as he waits for the perfect job instead of taking just any job. He would he foolish to take the Nets job as they're going nowhere fast for the next 3-4 years. No coach is going to help fix the mess Billy King created there.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
CouchCoach
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by CouchCoach » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Thibs is not only the best coach available, when he was coaching he was arguably in the top 3-4 in the league. My pick top five if Thibs comes back:

1. Greg Popovich (Don't think you can really even debate this one)
2. Rick Carlisle (Great tactician and player manager)
3. Tom Thibodeau (What he was able to do without Rose their #1 at the time is amazing)
4. Doc Rivers (Rivers greatest assest IMO is he's a great manager men and commands a lot of respect from the players)
5. Steve Kurr (The argument to move Kerr up or off the list can easily be made, however a big factor in coaching is player management which Kurr has done a great job of and system. Yes he has the best player in basketball and a very good team but it's the system he's implemented in GS that has allowed the players and Walton so much success.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:45 pm

I think Thibs is eyeing the timberwolves job. If Wolves get another high lottery pick - like Ben Simmons and add that to the core of Lavine, Wiggins and Towns - they will rise to contender status fast like the thunder of early days. Thibs also still lives in Chicago so Minnesota would not be that big of a hassle to move to. And with younger players - mgmt won't be at thibs throat asking him to limit minutes. Wolves also have KG who had Thibs as an assistant coach his early days with the Celtics when they won the 2008 title. Wolves are likely also going to hire a new coach at season's end based on the fact Sam Mitchell still has interm status and no contract beyond this year after Flip Saunders passing. Kevin Mchale could also be a candidate if he's interested.
CouchCoach
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by CouchCoach » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Sam195 wrote:I think Thibs is eyeing the timberwolves job. If Wolves get another high lottery pick - like Ben Simmons and add that to the core of Lavine, Wiggins and Towns - they will rise to contender status fast like the thunder of early days. Thibs also still lives in Chicago so Minnesota would not be that big of a hassle to move to. And with younger players - mgmt won't be at thibs throat asking him to limit minutes. Wolves also have KG who had Thibs as an assistant coach his early days with the Celtics when they won the 2008 title. Wolves are likely also going to hire a new coach at season's end based on the fact Sam Mitchell still has interm status and no contract beyond this year after Flip Saunders passing. Kevin Mchale could also be a candidate if he's interested.

Couldn't agree with you more that that Wolves would be perfectly suited for Thibs. Young core, no pressure, unlimited minutes, bring on KG as an assistant. My only spanner would be that GM's in the NBA are fickled and if it makes sence they most likely don't do lol. I just want to see Thibs coach again.

Return to Wiretap Discussion