Re: Baron Davis Goes Unclaimed On D-League Waiver Wire

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Baron Davis Goes Unclaimed On D-League Waiver Wire 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Baron Davis went unclaimed through the D-League waiver wire process and can sign with any team.

Davis is attempting to resume his basketball playing career despite not playing since 2012.

Davis was an All-Star in 2002 and 2004, while he peaking in his career in 2007 with the Golden State Warriors.

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#2 » by Tenbomber » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Somewhere, an old folks league must exist?

Feel bad for Davis....too bad he couldn't hook onto an announcer's job?

Nice guy who could really ball...too bad his nagging injuries spoiled his career...
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#3 » by juduking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Tenbomber wrote:Somewhere, an old folks league must exist?

Feel bad for Davis....too bad he couldn't hook onto an announcer's job?

Nice guy who could really ball...too bad his nagging injuries spoiled his career...

He was what Derrick Rose is now. A superstar who just cant keep on track with health.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#4 » by MegaK » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:09 pm

He could be a good 3rd or 2nd string point guard I would assume. He knows the game well and can probably do a solid job as a backup. You don't need him to be the superstar he once was, if he is half the player he used to be he would still be better than most backup point guards.
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,159

Post#5 » by GuyverX » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Unclaimed....in the D-league. Yeah, it's time to give it up Baron.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Re: Re: Baron Davis Goes Unclaimed On D-League Waiver Wire 

Post#6 » by realfung » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Hope he can find a team, but wouldn't he better off being an assistant coach or staff?
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#7 » by ndnow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:30 am

Spoiler:
GuyverX wrote:Unclaimed....in the D-league. Yeah, it's time to give it up Baron.

Even if he could compete the D League isn't a place for him. It's a developmental league for young players, not for older players trying to put in some time.
Brushman34
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Brushman34 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:12 am

ndnow wrote:
Spoiler:
GuyverX wrote:Unclaimed....in the D-league. Yeah, it's time to give it up Baron.

Even if he could compete the D League isn't a place for him. It's a developmental league for young players, not for older players trying to put in some time.

Exactly. Makes no sense for a developmental team to sign him as a player. He would have better luck getting signed in Europe where he could still get sponsorships, contracts, playing time, and a leadership role. Really wish aging players took their talents to Europe more. The stigma that it somehow marks the end of a career is crazy, it will open basketball talent onto a global scale. But I'm sure there are some aspects of European leagues that I'm not aware of that help make sense why so many turn down a good opportunity.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#9 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:55 pm

he's only 36, but he's been talking about this for a year - when is he actually going to play? Maybe he thought an NBA team would sign him.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#10 » by JCruz6 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Don't know why I started thinking of Brooklyn.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#11 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Go to China.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#12 » by juduking » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Brushman34 wrote:
ndnow wrote:
Spoiler:

Exactly. Makes no sense for a developmental team to sign him as a player. He would have better luck getting signed in Europe where he could still get sponsorships, contracts, playing time, and a leadership role. Really wish aging players took their talents to Europe more. The stigma that it somehow marks the end of a career is crazy, it will open basketball talent onto a global scale. But I'm sure there are some aspects of European leagues that I'm not aware of that help make sense why so many turn down a good opportunity.

The Grand Rapids Drive have Dantahy Jones on their squad. Its still about winning for some organizations.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#13 » by dautjazz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:21 pm

He posted 6ppg 2rpg and 5apg four seasons ago, what is he going to average now? 3/1/2? Maybe he can do something overseas, but he's done as an NBA player.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#14 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Will he remove himself from consideration for the Olympics too? Or one's carcass would need to be active to decline the invite before it comes?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:Will he remove himself from consideration for the Olympics too? Or one's carcass would need to be active to decline the invite before it comes?
Rollin'!
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:45 am

juduking wrote:
Brushman34 wrote:
ndnow wrote:
Spoiler:

The Grand Rapids Drive have Dantahy Jones on their squad. Its still about winning for some organizations.

Having vets on the team helps in their development. And I'm guessing Jones is hoping to be called up. They love the game and there's no shame in that!
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#17 » by Fellow72 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:08 pm

The sixers should have signed him. I would personally take him over Brand, assuming that davis is still in some type of NBA condition. Brand is completely useless to them. Even as a mentor, due to Davis' personality, he would be a far better choice for the Sixers to pick up than Brand. But what's done is done I guess...
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#18 » by ndnow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Brushman34 wrote:
ndnow wrote:
Spoiler:

Bit of a late response, I think it's the US education system holding them back. The lack of knowledge some american NBA players have on foreign countries is pretty scary. Many players coming to Toronto have expressed sincere lack of trust with Canada's education system and some players (ie. Steve Francis just refuse to even move out of the US).

Return to Wiretap Discussion