D'Angelo Russell Benched For 'Trying To Take Over Game'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

D'Angelo Russell Benched For 'Trying To Take Over Game' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:42 pm

D'Angelo Russell was benched by Byron Scott late in the fourth quarter of the Los Angeles Lakers' loss to the Dallas Mavericks, apparently for his shot selection.

"I saw the last couple minutes that he was in that he was really trying to take over the game, and that's not him yet," Scott said. "I want the ball to move a little bit. I thought it stuck with him. He tried to make the big shots and things like that. I understand that, but to me, that's not him right now."

In general, Scott said of Russell, "He's been more aggressive to score. I think sometimes he's taking what they're giving him, and I think there's other times where I think he's kind of forcing the issue. He has to find a happy medium. He's learning."

Russell finished the game with 12 points on 4-for-12 shooting.

"We had four, five playmaking players out there," Russell said. "I feel like everybody was trying to [take over]. They're a veteran team. They rarely mess up. So when you catch them slipping a little bit, you've got to take advantage of it."

"I love the fact that he has confidence," Scott said. "When it gets to the point where it's cockiness, then we've got a problem."

Via Baxter Holmes/ESPN

coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Re: D'Angelo Russell Benched For 'Trying To Take Over Game' 

Post#2 » by coopnyc74 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Attempt unsuccessful
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#3 » by JCruz6 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:43 pm

If he has made another 3 baskets (7/12) Byron would have sat down and let it happen.
I've seen a Laker game live and when they try to move the ball, no one knows where to go or how to move.
There's no aggression.

I don't get the difference between what D'Angelo is trying to do and what Kobe and Nick do on a nightly basis.

If he's not there yet, then let him start. Lakers aren't contending for anything except a top 3 pick.
Byron sure has gone out of his way to lower the self esteem of their #2 pick.
You pass on Jahlil (spell check me) only to bench the person chosen instead of him? You're doing it wrong LAL.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:03 pm

and in other news, Kobe, Williams and Young have never been benched for unsuccessfully trying to take over a game this season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#5 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Poor Angelo....
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Rek
Senior
And1: 132

Post#6 » by Rek » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:31 pm

When it gets to the point where it's cockiness, then we've got a problem.

Well, Byron - you certainly should be able to recognize that issue. Takes one to know one. Master of ego, no concept of the term "rotation" and renowned expert at tossing his own players under the bus.. or is that Buss?

You're players aren't the only ones that have tuned you out, Coach Scott.
Vibranium
Rookie
And1: 1,938

Post#7 » by Vibranium » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:04 pm

I am now convinced he is going to leave the first chance he gets.
Read on Twitter
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,218

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Well, that kind of play is getting Kobe showered with gifts in every arena he plays in. He's learning from the best!

And to be fair 4 of 12 is just a hair under Kobe's season average. Russell watches this every single game.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#9 » by Phreak50 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:21 am

Understandable but as the below post mentioned, Nick Young is the same. Actually worse. He is one of the biggest ball hogs in the game. I don't understand how Nick Young is still in the league to be honest. He has shown nothing.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#10 » by TKainZero » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:25 am

Imagine if Byron Scott was coach back in Kobes rookie year..
Air balling shot after shot vs the Jazz in overtime, in the playoffs...

Actually... Maybe that's a working theory...

Scott is still butt-hurt over what happen with Kobe airballing those shots 20 years ago, when Scott was glued to the bench...

Scott benching Russell now, is related to when Kobe would play over him, and be in over his head airballing shots as a 18 year old kid.

Seeing Russell WANT to take over games, is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from him at this season.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to Wiretap Discussion