Byron Scott Not Expected To Be Fired In-Season

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Byron Scott Not Expected To Be Fired In-Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 2, 2016 4:47 pm

Byron Scott is expected to remain head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers at least through the end of the current season.

The final two-and-a-half months of the season will be considered a trial of sorts.

Scott has received criticism for being too tough on the Lakers' young players and some wonder if the game has passed him by in this era of analytics.

"I am who I am," Scott told The Times. "Pat Riley wasn't easy on us. Larry Brown wasn't easy on me [in Indiana]. I think that's the reason I was successful because I had a coach that pushed me and tried to get the very best out of me.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm no different. I want to see how great these guys can be. I want to push them to the limit. I want to push them to things they've never done before. If that's being too tough, so be it."

Via Ben Bolch/Los Angeles times

choppermagic
Starter
And1: 846

Re: Byron Scott Not Expected To Be Fired In-Season 

Post#2 » by choppermagic » Tue Feb 2, 2016 4:51 pm

Man, of all the issues with Scott's coaching, pushing the kids would not be one I would complain about. Coddling them is not the answer.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:04 pm

Did anyone expect Lakers not to be in the bottom 3 this season?.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 148

Post#4 » by MitchB3 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:19 pm

I never understood why they hired him in the first place? He's not a bad coach, he's more of a veteran coach; meaning he should be coaching players who's been in the league and who has been to the playoffs. I'm just glad that Jeanie Buss will be taking over next summer or is it this summer?
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#5 » by ChosunX » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:32 pm

MitchB3 wrote:I never understood why they hired him in the first place? He's not a bad coach, he's more of a veteran coach; meaning he should be coaching players who's been in the league and who has been to the playoffs. I'm just glad that Jeanie Buss will be taking over next summer or is it this summer?

Why would any good coach go thereat this point?
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#6 » by Marionettetc » Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:45 pm

Yeah, he's expected to be fired in the off - season. :lol:
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#7 » by 6_Rings » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:00 pm

whats the use? dumpster fire season anyway and they're not gonna burn bridges with a member of showtime
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#8 » by 6_Rings » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:00 pm

whats the use? dumpster fire season anyway and they're not gonna burn bridges with a member of showtime
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#9 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:05 pm

I hope the resign him. It's been fun to watch that train wreck
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#10 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:09 pm

Since when was Jeannie a basketball mind? She's the one that said she wished Kobe would play another 2-3 years...guys need to stop acting like she's not a part of the mess

MitchB3 wrote:I never understood why they hired him in the first place? He's not a bad coach, he's more of a veteran coach; meaning he should be coaching players who's been in the league and who has been to the playoffs. I'm just glad that Jeanie Buss will be taking over next summer or is it this summer?
MitchB3
Starter

Post#11 » by MitchB3 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:17 pm

[/quote]

[quote="Jody Smokz"]Since when was Jeannie a basketball mind? She's the one that said she wished Kobe would play another 2-3 years...guys need to stop acting like she's not a part of the mess
MitchB3
Starter

Post#12 » by MitchB3 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:18 pm

MitchB3 wrote:

Jody Smokz wrote:Since when was Jeannie a basketball mind? She's the one that said she wished Kobe would play another 2-3 years...guys need to stop acting like she's not a part of the mess

Clearly you don't know what's going on the Laker organization. Yes, she would have like for Kobe to play another 2-3, but she realize what her brother has done to make Kobe age even faster. I too believe that Kobe could have played another two years, look at Tim Duncan he's about to be 40 and he's still playing. The problem is that one Jim Buss let personal feelings get in the way of hiring Phil. Two- The Lakers haven't been a playoff team for the last 3-4 years. Three- Jeanie Buss will get the Lakers back on track, I promise you that.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#13 » by Bruteque » Tue Feb 2, 2016 6:21 pm

Ultimately, the issue still comes down to a matter of incompetence. Tough love from Pop is one thing, tough love from the franchise clown tank commander is another. It's like what Greg Ostertag said about why he respected Jerry Sloan despite all their run-ins: It didn't matter who you were, Sloan always gave you the fair shake.

If the Lakers were going to let Kobe do whatever the **** stupid things he wants on court until he retired, then they should have hired an easy-going coach like D'Antoni or somebody. Hiring a "tough love" coach who isn't allowed or isn't willing to "tough love" your "stars" is a sign of utterly incompetent management.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#14 » by Edrees » Tue Feb 2, 2016 7:07 pm

Well duh, you can't fire your tank commander before you the mission is a success.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#15 » by miltk » Tue Feb 2, 2016 7:23 pm

oh so THAT'S why he got upset at mclean.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#16 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Feb 2, 2016 7:41 pm

Clearly you have been drinking the Kobe cant get old kool aid for too long. No one made Kobe age faster. Getting old is simply a part of being an athlete. The fact that he can even step on the court at 37 is a miracle. Injury or not he was going to get old. It's that simple. Him being healthy wouldnt have changed anything. The team failed to adapt when they had the chance. Refused to trade Pau when Bynum emerged as a real offensive threat and refused to trade him again knowing they needed better floor spacing and defense when Dwight arrived. All that is water under the bridge though. With the current team they need to be putting together something that helps the young core grow. Hiring Byron is hustling backwards and so is keeping a 37 year old legend around longer than needed. But hey lets blame JIM BUSS for all the orgs ills as if he's the only one making decisions.

MitchB3 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Jody Smokz wrote:Since when was Jeannie a basketball mind? She's the one that said she wished Kobe would play another 2-3 years...guys need to stop acting like she's not a part of the mess

Clearly you don't know what's going on the Laker organization. Yes, she would have like for Kobe to play another 2-3, but she realize what her brother has done to make Kobe age even faster. I too believe that Kobe could have played another two years, look at Tim Duncan he's about to be 40 and he's still playing. The problem is that one Jim Buss let personal feelings get in the way of hiring Phil. Two- The Lakers haven't been a playoff team for the last 3-4 years. Three- Jeanie Buss will get the Lakers back on track, I promise you that.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#17 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Feb 2, 2016 7:44 pm

The 11-12 season will always go down as the beginning of the end for this current regime. Not the Dwight trade and not Kobe's achilles.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#18 » by Sam195 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 8:11 pm

He still has ajob because lakers are tanking and hoping the grace of god will help them get a top 3 pick they don't have to surrender to the sixers.If lakers could somehow beat philly and clinch the worst record in the league at some point this season than Scott will get his pink slip on the spot. If sixers clinch worst first than expect lakers to consider firing Scott after they clinch the 2nd worst record.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#19 » by DoctaJ » Tue Feb 2, 2016 9:54 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Clearly you have been drinking the Kobe cant get old kool aid for too long. No one made Kobe age faster. Getting old is simply a part of being an athlete. The fact that he can even step on the court at 37 is a miracle. Injury or not he was going to get old. It's that simple. Him being healthy wouldnt have changed anything. The team failed to adapt when they had the chance. Refused to trade Pau when Bynum emerged as a real offensive threat and refused to trade him again knowing they needed better floor spacing and defense when Dwight arrived. All that is water under the bridge though. With the current team they need to be putting together something that helps the young core grow. Hiring Byron is hustling backwards and so is keeping a 37 year old legend around longer than needed. But hey lets blame JIM BUSS for all the orgs ills as if he's the only one making decisions.

Are you for real? Thank goodness neither of those happened..
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#20 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Feb 2, 2016 10:15 pm

Yea if you're operating from the standpoint that Bynum doesnt ever play again at a high level or Dwight actually walks away sure. At the time neither of these things were real threats. I dont normally do hypotheticals but lets play that game for a second. What did it profit LA to KEEP PAU? Threaten to trade him for 3 seasons AFTER actually trading him lol to only lose him nothing. Didn't even get a 2nd round pick for him but somehow Danny Ainge was able to swindle the Nets out of 3 1st round picks for KG, Pierce and Jason terry who werent even as good as Pau at the time.

IIRC LA had rumored offers from the Rockets in 11-12 for Dragic or Lowry, Kevin Martin and Luis Scola. Instead they opted to trade 2 1st round picks for Ramon Sessions and Jordan Hill. Contrary to belief Bynum and Pau never a real pair. Phil mostly started them and staggered their minutes. In the years we won Pau mostly played with Odom as the 5 and 4. By 11-12 it was clear Pau could not defend at the 4 position and the top teams in the NBA were crushing them in games. OKC and Miami being the teams they needed to chase that year. In 12-13 Pau could have been moved BEFORE he was injured for pieces that actually complemented Dwight and KObe on the floor instead of looking for magic to happen.

DoctaJ wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:Clearly you have been drinking the Kobe cant get old kool aid for too long. No one made Kobe age faster. Getting old is simply a part of being an athlete. The fact that he can even step on the court at 37 is a miracle. Injury or not he was going to get old. It's that simple. Him being healthy wouldnt have changed anything. The team failed to adapt when they had the chance. Refused to trade Pau when Bynum emerged as a real offensive threat and refused to trade him again knowing they needed better floor spacing and defense when Dwight arrived. All that is water under the bridge though. With the current team they need to be putting together something that helps the young core grow. Hiring Byron is hustling backwards and so is keeping a 37 year old legend around longer than needed. But hey lets blame JIM BUSS for all the orgs ills as if he's the only one making decisions.

Are you for real? Thank goodness neither of those happened..

Return to Wiretap Discussion