Gregg Popovich: I Get Very Envious Of Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Gregg Popovich: I Get Very Envious Of Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Gregg Popovich offered extremely high praise of the Golden State Warriors.

"I've spent more time thinking about Golden State than I have any other team I've ever thought about in my whole career," Popovich told ESPN Radio on Friday. "Because they are really fun. I'd go buy a ticket and go watch them play. And when I see them move the ball, I get very envious. When I see them shoot uncontested shots more than anybody else in the league, it's inspiring. It's just great basketball.

"So I'm actually enjoying them very much. You try to solve them, but they're in a sense unsolvable because it's a particular mix of talent that they have. It's not just that Steph [Curry] can make shots or that Klay can make shots or that Draymond Green is versatile. Everybody on the court can pass, catch and shoot. And they all get it."

"They're for real," Popovich added. "They're talented. But they're also very, very smart."

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Re: Gregg Popovich: I Get Very Envious Of Warriors 

Post#2 » by hyberx » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:25 am

This is why Charles Barkley can never coach.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#3 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:00 am

hyberx wrote:This is why Charles Barkley can never coach.

Because Pop likes the Warriors?

Well dam.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Pablo Novi
Senior
And1: 233

Post#4 » by Pablo Novi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:23 pm

I've got Pop as NBA GOAT #1 Coach - having made the necessary adjustments based on his own team's personnel & strengths and weaknesses, as well as those of the opposing team. For me, he barely beats out Phil Jackson & Red Auerbach (I started watching the NBA in 1960). At first I felt repulsed by his deliberately resting healthy players; in the process seriously degrading the quality of the games people were seeing on the TV; much less paying to watch in person. But who can deny that, long term, it's both totally innovative and brilliant.

Two years ago when the Spurs thrashed the LeBron-led Miami Heat super-team; it was only because of his "Spurfection" that they prevailed - utterly overwhelming a world-class defensive team by simply moving the ball so much that they wore them out. (The "broken" air-conditioning played some part.) I didn't have a "horse" in that race; but the Spurs play series-long was astounding; a beauty to behold.

Perhaps the most impressive of all of Pop's attributes is that despite he and his teams greatness, his humility is plain for all to see. This compliment to the Warriors is a marvelous example of that.

Return to Wiretap Discussion