Rockets Agree To Buyout With Ty Lawson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rockets Agree To Buyout With Ty Lawson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 1, 2016 7:07 pm

Ty Lawson has reached agreement with the Houston Rockets on a contract buyout.

The Rockets acquired Lawson last offseason and his contract for the 16-17 season is non-guaranteed.

Lawson has proven to be a bad fit with the Rockets.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Re: Rockets Agree To Buyout With Ty Lawson 

Post#2 » by BasketballJosh » Tue Mar 1, 2016 7:13 pm

Soooo ... this means he can't play with a playoff team, right?
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#3 » by Cassius » Tue Mar 1, 2016 7:35 pm

BasketballJosh wrote:Soooo ... this means he can't play with a playoff team, right?

Great question. I've said it before and it's sad to say it, but if there was an easy way to keep him away from beer, he'd be such a perfect fit in Milwaukee.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#4 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:06 pm

Utah should be blowing up his phone right now....
greggschapiro
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#5 » by greggschapiro » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:07 pm

If he's waived today I believe he is playoff eligible
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#6 » by suntzuballin » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:19 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:Utah should be blowing up his phone right now....

knicks too
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#7 » by malgus » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:48 pm

No room on the team for Lawson since James Harden's ego is playing point.
Lakers4Life310
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#8 » by Lakers4Life310 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:50 pm

Where in the hell did his career go to? Just last year, he was having a not so bad year for a point guard. He needs an up tempo kind of team, too bad they fired George Karl and screwed it up. Jazz could definitely need his help but would love to see him in Sac next to Karl. He flourished in that system.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#9 » by ontnut » Tue Mar 1, 2016 9:28 pm

Lakers4Life310 wrote:Where in the hell did his career go to? Just last year, he was having a not so bad year for a point guard. He needs an up tempo kind of team, too bad they fired George Karl and screwed it up. Jazz could definitely need his help but would love to see him in Sac next to Karl. He flourished in that system.

Aug. 17, 2013: Lawson and his girlfriend are arrested after a domestic violence dispute in Arapahoe County. The case was later dismissed.

April 4, 2014: Lawson is held out of the starting lineup of a game at Memphis because he missed a team breakfast meeting.

Jan. 23, 2015: Lawson is arrested in Denver on suspicion of drinking and driving after a team charity event. He was stopped going 61 mph in a 35-mph zone and refused to take a chemical test.

Feb. 18, 2015: Lawson fails to return from a trip to Vegas in time for the Nuggets' first practice after the all-star break, irking then coach Brian Shaw.

April 27, 2015: Lawson responds to a fan's now-deleted Instagram comment that he should join the Mavericks. "I wish," Lawson responded, creating a firestorm of speculation about his desire to leave Denver.

June 25, 2015: In a video posted during the NBA draft, Lawson is seen smoking a hookah and telling friends: "Told you. I'm going to Sacramento, bro."

July 13, 2015: Because of his "traveling schedule," it is announced that Lawson will miss his youth skills camp.

July 14, 2015: Lawson is arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of drinking and driving after an officer spotted him traveling "at a high rate of speed" at 1:30 a.m.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_28481766/ty-lawsons-history-off-court-incidents-during-his

All of this.
stopndrop88
Ballboy

Post#10 » by stopndrop88 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 9:49 pm

Orlando Magic jump on this
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#11 » by 2hard2guard » Tue Mar 1, 2016 9:59 pm

Can zen master Jackson even get Lawson to the Knicks ! Dolan should fire his as$ if he gets away !
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#12 » by 2hard2guard » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:02 pm

Seems like a perfect New York fit ! Will be getting great lap dances & smoking crack within no time !
Lakers4Life310
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Lakers4Life310 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:06 pm

ontnut wrote:
Lakers4Life310 wrote:Where in the hell did his career go to? Just last year, he was having a not so bad year for a point guard. He needs an up tempo kind of team, too bad they fired George Karl and screwed it up. Jazz could definitely need his help but would love to see him in Sac next to Karl. He flourished in that system.

Aug. 17, 2013: Lawson and his girlfriend are arrested after a domestic violence dispute in Arapahoe County. The case was later dismissed.

April 4, 2014: Lawson is held out of the starting lineup of a game at Memphis because he missed a team breakfast meeting.

Jan. 23, 2015: Lawson is arrested in Denver on suspicion of drinking and driving after a team charity event. He was stopped going 61 mph in a 35-mph zone and refused to take a chemical test.

Feb. 18, 2015: Lawson fails to return from a trip to Vegas in time for the Nuggets' first practice after the all-star break, irking then coach Brian Shaw.

April 27, 2015: Lawson responds to a fan's now-deleted Instagram comment that he should join the Mavericks. "I wish," Lawson responded, creating a firestorm of speculation about his desire to leave Denver.

June 25, 2015: In a video posted during the NBA draft, Lawson is seen smoking a hookah and telling friends: "Told you. I'm going to Sacramento, bro."

July 13, 2015: Because of his "traveling schedule," it is announced that Lawson will miss his youth skills camp.

July 14, 2015: Lawson is arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of drinking and driving after an officer spotted him traveling "at a high rate of speed" at 1:30 a.m.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_28481766/ty-lawsons-history-off-court-incidents-during-his

All of this.

Dang. Totally forgot about this. Lawson completely screwed up his own career.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#14 » by We Are Groot » Tue Mar 1, 2016 11:57 pm

I kno they're happy with Parker & Mills, but Lawson wld give the Spurs a dimension of dynamism they currently sorely lack and will be hard pressed to acquire in free agency. It's harder to see Parker becoming his penetrating, defense collapsing self again, than Lawson returning to form. Parker's clearly in decline.

The other missing element from the Spurs recent finals team is Danny Green's shooting. It's glossed over, but he was EPIC in their last two finals runs. Green has regressed this year and agn, Parker isn't going to help mitigate that, Lawson definitely wld.

Lawson's buy-out is an opportunity that I think the Spurs shld be taking a long, hard look @. He can be signed on the cheap this year and if they can work their Spurs voodoo on him; get him to buy into their team concepts and sign for below market value, they jus might have another nice piece to build with. Unless they think they have a shot @ Conley or Westbrook, the time might be now.
fahdre
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#15 » by fahdre » Wed Mar 2, 2016 12:39 am

We Are Groot wrote:I kno they're happy with Parker & Mills, but Lawson wld give the Spurs a dimension of dynamism they currently sorely lack and will be hard pressed to acquire in free agency. It's harder to see Parker becoming his penetrating, defense collapsing self again, than Lawson returning to form. Parker's clearly in decline.

The other missing element from the Spurs recent finals team is Danny Green's shooting. It's glossed over, but he was EPIC in their last two finals runs. Green has regressed this year and agn, Parker isn't going to help mitigate that, Lawson definitely wld.

Lawson's buy-out is an opportunity that I think the Spurs shld be taking a long, hard look @. He can be signed on the cheap this year and if they can work their Spurs voodoo on him; get him to buy into their team concepts and sign for below market value, they jus might have another nice piece to build with. Unless they think they have a shot @ Conley or Westbrook, the time might be now.

I would be inclined to agree with you, except for the fact that the Spurs are built off a sound system of HIGH CHARACTER players/personnel...something that Lawson clearly is not. Refer to when they released Stephen Jackson a month or so before the playoffs of that year (can't remember exactly when). I was a little shocked that they did so, as I thought they could have really used him in the playoffs but I highly doubt they risk their current roster makeup/chemitry for the chance of a slight upgrade at a position that they believe to be well suited for.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#16 » by FreeBoosie » Wed Mar 2, 2016 4:35 am

What a fckin moron. This dumbass made the contract non guaranteed just to go to a currently horrible rockets team only to eventually get waved. Why give up on guaranteed $15 million? No wonder some of these dudes go broke so fast. They never seen that type of money and rather than trying to save it or get as much as possible, they do dumb s#!t like this lmao
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#17 » by Riko » Wed Mar 2, 2016 10:35 am

If he is smart he goes to Brooklin where he can play even 36 minutes.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#18 » by We Are Groot » Wed Mar 2, 2016 12:48 pm

fahdre wrote:I would be inclined to agree with you, except for the fact that the Spurs are built off a sound system of HIGH CHARACTER players/personnel...something that Lawson clearly is not. Refer to when they released Stephen Jackson a month or so before the playoffs of that year (can't remember exactly when). I was a little shocked that they did so, as I thought they could have really used him in the playoffs but I highly doubt they risk their current roster makeup/chemitry for the chance of a slight upgrade at a position that they believe to be well suited for.

I think it's more accurate to say Lawson's had character issues vs he is "obviously not a person of high character." Yes he's had problems in Denver, but he was also a productive player there for years before the problems arose. All we know are the facts regarding his legal issues and how he was shown the door. Surely, we're not naive enough to presume there weren't extenuating circumstances and/or contributing factors here. I never said he was without risk, jus that the potential ROI is so great as to be worth their due diligence. Would you say that Adrian Peterson "is obviously not a person of high character?" And even if you would, would you say he didn't have a productive year after his issues? There is nothing indicating that Lawson's buy-out has anything to do with character issues. It was a basketball decision.

And as for Jax, aside from him being the starting shooting guard on their 03 championship team, his wife was pregnant and the couple was dealing with some things at the time of his release.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#19 » by King4Day » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:40 pm

I can see Brooklyn, NY, Philly, and Phoenix being interested.

He'll probably end up in Cleveland or another title contender though.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
fahdre
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#20 » by fahdre » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:55 pm

We Are Groot wrote:
fahdre wrote:I would be inclined to agree with you, except for the fact that the Spurs are built off a sound system of HIGH CHARACTER players/personnel...something that Lawson clearly is not. Refer to when they released Stephen Jackson a month or so before the playoffs of that year (can't remember exactly when). I was a little shocked that they did so, as I thought they could have really used him in the playoffs but I highly doubt they risk their current roster makeup/chemitry for the chance of a slight upgrade at a position that they believe to be well suited for.

I think it's more accurate to say Lawson's had character issues vs he is "obviously not a person of high character." Yes he's had problems in Denver, but he was also a productive player there for years before the problems arose. All we know are the facts regarding his legal issues and how he was shown the door. Surely, we're not naive enough to presume there weren't extenuating circumstances and/or contributing factors here. I never said he was without risk, jus that the potential ROI is so great as to be worth their due diligence. Would you say that Adrian Peterson "is obviously not a person of high character?" And even if you would, would you say he didn't have a productive year after his issues? There is nothing indicating that Lawson's buy-out has anything to do with character issues. It was a basketball decision.

And as for Jax, aside from him being the starting shooting guard on their 03 championship team, his wife was pregnant and the couple was dealing with some things at the time of his release.

I never once stated that Lawson was dropped for character issues (I`m very aware of the terrible basketball fit he was with harden). Also, what are you arguing against? I don`t understand why you`re getting so defensive. For the most part I agree with you, and would welcome a talent upgrade to my favorite team. I just said I doubt an organization as well run as SA would take a flier on a guy with so many off court issues (which I believe are blown a little out of proportion but hey). That's All.

Also, I was referring to S.Jax second stint in SA (I believe the 2012-2013 season) where they released him a week before the playoffs (he was a solid rotational piece for them at that point). I remember him going on some stupid twitter rants or something like that but I`m not sure if that coincided with his release.

Return to Wiretap Discussion